Can't Relate to Past Interest(s)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
DarkRyter said:
Crayons just don't seem as rad as they used to.
Lies and slander! Crayons will always be the greatest of all writing implements!

(save for quill pens, of course)

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Ah maturity...

Metal is a pretty juvenile form of music... like punk music. Not to mention the metal scene has been going downhill.

You've grown and changed along with the entire rest of the world... THAT'S why you don't like metal anymore... It's the same reason no one really likes jazz anymore.

Personally, I love both jazz and metal still, but I can never like them as much as a person living through their respective era.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Getting tired of things is normal I'd say, it's more surprising to find hobbies and interests that you don't get tired of. I was into playing guitar and listening to guitar-centric music for years, but eventually my "guitar snob" approach to picking music made me unable to find new interesting artists quickly enough to replace the ones I was getting tired of. You could say that my music collection collapsed under the weight of it's own snobbery. :)

It could have just been a certain point in my life, but I also think that the rise of the internet raised my standard of entertainment. I'm pretty sure I would return to playing guitar if a time machine sent me back to the 1990s, but nowadays most of my interests are related to computers.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
I started liking hard rock and metal for a bit. It didn't last long.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Jonluw said:
Chased said:
Jonluw said:
Who can?
I mean if you still felt connected to them, they wouldn't be past interests, would they?

I used to be really interested in Duck comics, and while they still have a special place in my heart, at some point I just couldn't keep collecting them.
I was super into metal for years and now I suddenly can't relate to it. I literally woke up one day and felt different.
*shrug*
Did you happen to hit your head?
Lightning strike?
I think it's call ... growing old. >.>

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
deadish said:
Jonluw said:
Chased said:
Jonluw said:
Who can?
I mean if you still felt connected to them, they wouldn't be past interests, would they?

I used to be really interested in Duck comics, and while they still have a special place in my heart, at some point I just couldn't keep collecting them.
I was super into metal for years and now I suddenly can't relate to it. I literally woke up one day and felt different.
*shrug*
Lightning strike?
"Hi, my name is Chased. I woke up one day, and suddenly I was old."
When I think about it, I guess that's how a lot of people actually feel.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Monoochrom said:
2. I'm going to wager that 2004-2005 you were a Teenager, if not a Kid (not sure what your Profile means by Student), so it shouldn't be too surprising, you probably just listened to it too much and lost interest and you didn't develope the way they did.
Yes, I was a teenager. Around my mid-teens, to be precise. "Student" means I study at a university.

Monoochrom said:
I personally can't share your opinion, basically, Linkin Park has been the Soundtrack to my life thus far, which at times has been oddly specific. I can't really think of anything I don't like, although I did have to listen to A Thousand Suns twice before I really got into it. But, I also don't constantly listen to music or exclusively one Band. Linkin Park is nonetheless my favorite band.
And I don't say you should share my opinion. I'm just saying that right now I can't feel anything right now. I don't even have any more of their songs. Which is extremely unusual for me. Just for comparison, I still listen to some of songs from when I started developing a taste for music (instead of saying "I like everything" when I meant "I have no preferences"). I have a sample of everything I've ever felt significant. Heck, I even have a couple that utterly piss me off and have always pissed me off...and I'm not sure why I still keep them around - I always listen the first 30 or so seconds before changing to something different.

I suppose it's similar to what OP felt, so I doubt it's unusual to happen to people.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Jonluw said:
deadish said:
Jonluw said:
Chased said:
Jonluw said:
Who can?

*shrug*
Lightning strike?
"Hi, my name is Chased. I woke up one day, and suddenly I was old."
It's like falling off a cliff.

You fall and fall, inch by inch then suddenly you hit the ground and you are falling no more. :p

The Shadowlord

Jul 18, 2011
Well, nothing great but I can't stand Anime anymore. Yeah, I wasn't a major fan even back in the day, but I tried watching Wolf's Rain and there was just so much angst it's unbelievable. Then, when I look back, I realised there was so much angst in everything I've ever watched. I realised that all anime was was different series of angst for different reasons. And I just couldn't deal with it.

Then I got annoyed by the very reason anime is so popular. I dislike whole cultures adoring a thing just for its country of origin or for the style of artwork used to make it.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
The Shadowlord said:
Well, nothing great but I can't stand Anime anymore. Yeah, I wasn't a major fan even back in the day, but I tried watching Wolf's Rain and there was just so much angst it's unbelievable. Then, when I look back, I realised there was so much angst in everything I've ever watched. I realised that all anime was was different series of angst for different reasons. And I just couldn't deal with it.

Then I got annoyed by the very reason anime is so popular. I dislike whole cultures adoring a thing just for its country of origin or for the style of artwork used to make it.
Personally, I dislike people hating a medium just out of a notion that everything produced in that medium contains the same theme.

Don't diss the medium. Diss the genre.

The Shadowlord

Jul 18, 2011
Jonluw said:
Personally, I dislike people hating a medium just out of a notion that everything produced in that medium contains the same theme.
Feel free to. Of course, I didn't summarise my entire reasons for disliking the medium. I'm sure I'd still be typing if I did. The whole thing just makes me feel bored, so I can't express any interest on it. But of course, this is my opinion. Feel free to think your own way.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I can't relate to my high school friends anymore.

We were all incredibly close before graduation... but then I went to university in a state that was 17 or so hours away by car. Of my closest circle of friends, I was the only one who left the state.

During my Freshman and Sophomore year at university I'd hook up with them every time I came home for vacations, but it was always somewhat depressing to me. They had all new in-jokes that I wasn't a part of, they'd gone to concerts and lan parties and movies and whatnot that they'd talk about - leaving me with nothing to add to the conversation... I just felt like kind of an outsider whenever around them. I still played games online with them from time to time during my junior year, but less and less often as time went on. By senior year I was completely out of touch with them.

At some point I realized that I actually had far more in common with my five roommates at university than my friends back home, and that my bond with them had actually become far stronger.

A few weeks ago I actually ran into a couple of my high school friends while I was getting gas for my car. It was like I'd traveled back in time, because they still looked and acted exactly the same as they had while we were in high school. I had a realization that I'd grown up and moved on, but they hadn't yet... they were still living the same lives they'd been living six years prior with all the same routines. Made me feel old, even though I'm absolutely not.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I grew bored with manga. I realized that I just didn't love all manga anymore. Then I realized that I never had loved all[/] manga, and that I'd read many manga titles just because I liked the style and the medium, so I started reading all kinds of manga again. (I'd kept reading a few titles, so I never really quit it, but still.)
Jonluw said:
Who can?
Everyone has some past interest they can't understand, no?

Same thing for me. And then, one day eleven years after I quit reading the paperbacks with Italian duck comics, I bought one on a whim. Now I've subscribed again.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Jonluw said:
Who can?

Same thing for me. And then, one day eleven years after I quit reading the paperbacks with Italian duck comics, I bought one on a whim. Now I've subscribed again.
I sort of hope I'll reach a point where I can start collecting again, but I don't think I should.
I already own every issue released in Norway between 1948 and 1958 or something, collected in hardbacks, and all the issues between 2003 and 2009 in regular magazine form. Along with The life and times of Scrooge McDuck and the accompanying Companion.
And a good deal of paperbacks (Donald pocket).

I might end up buying the occasional magazine in the future though.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Jonluw said:
Queen Michael said:
Jonluw said:
Who can?

I sort of hope I'll reach a point where I can start collecting again, but I don't think I should.
I already own every issue released in Norway between 1948 and 1958 or something, collected in hardbacks, and all the issues between 2003 and 2009 in regular magazine form. Along with The life and times of Scrooge McDuck and the accompanying Companion.

That's pretty impressive. I've got the Life and Times in Swedish, but my brother has both it and the companion in English.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Jonluw said:

That's pretty impressive. I've got the Life and Times in Swedish, but my brother has both it and the companion in English.
Cool. My examples are in English. Found them in a bookstore at an airport and I couldn't not buy them. I've always been a Big fan of Don Rosa's stories (and Barks's, but that goes without saying). I made a point of separating every issue in my collection that contained a Rosa story from the rest and put them in a separate pile. It lies at the foot-end of my bed at the moment even now.

Funnily, just recently I looked at the magazines in a store and I noticed that the Norwegian magazine (Donald Duck &co) had started running the entirety of The life and times as an ongoing thing. One chapter in each issue or something.
I was real tempted to buy a magazine right there.

I wish I had the Hall of fame books though. Annoyingly, the publishers gave me - as one of their priority customers apparently - a really good offer on the complete Don Rosa line (or perhaps it was Carl Barks), but I refused.
Gah, I wish I could go back in time and accept the offer.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I no longer like sweet foods anywhere near as much as I used too! I used to allways be eating sweets and cakes, but in recent years I no longer do.. I don't even eat pudding after dinner anymore, and at buffets I am more likely to be found around the sausage rolls or crisps...!