Capcom Announces Monster Hunter XX for Switch, Spiking Nintendo Share Price

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Capcom Announces Monster Hunter XX for Switch, Spiking Nintendo Share Price

Monster Hunter XX is coming to Nintendo Switch - at least in Japan - and it's driving Nintendo shares to their highest level since 2008.

Capcom announced [http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/XX-Switch/sp/?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nintendolife.com%2Fnews%2F2017%2F05%2Fcapcom_is_bringing_monster_hunter_xx_to_the_switch] today that it would be bringing Monster Hunter XX to the Nintendo Switch. While the announcement, like the game, was only in Japan, there is some hope that the port may make its way to the West at some point. After all, its predecessor, Monster Hunter Generations made its way into localization last year. Here's the Japanese trailer for the 3DS version of the game:

Nintendo stocks have jumped upward since the announcement, closing up over 5 percent from yesterday. CNBC [http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/26/nintendo-switch-monster-hunter-xx-stock-rally.html] notes that this marks the highest the company's shares have been since October of 2008, and that the jump added $2.2 billion to its market capitalization. Investors obviously expect the game to be a system seller for Nintendo.

Even if Monster Hunter XX doesn't make it to the West, the Switch is region-free, meaning that importing a copy from Japan would be a simple affair, assuming you can overcome the language barrier.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
That's pretty big, even if it's just a port of a 3DS title. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring it over to the West considering how MH has finally started to make significant headway over here. And that's before you get into the fact of how this is a BIG deal in Japan, maybe even cementing the Switch over the PS4 in Japan.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Arrgh just make a proper console version then release it on all platforms you bastards.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Monster Hunter. Yep, that'll cement the system in Japan.

Upscale the graphics and it could be the push to get the Switch started on replacing the 3ds

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
altnameJag said:

Upscale the graphics and it could be the push to get the Switch started on replacing the 3ds
The Switch will never replace the 3DS. Only a new dedicated handheld will replace the 3DS. The Switch is not no matter how many people say it, a dedicated handheld.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
THERE IS A GOD
Spacewolf said:
Arrgh just make a proper console version then release it on all platforms you bastards.
But the Switch is a proper console. I'd love a PS4 and Vita release that you can swap saves from at will, but Sony fucked themselves over on that one.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Saelune said:
altnameJag said:

The Switch will never replace the 3DS. Only a new dedicated handheld will replace the 3DS. The Switch is not no matter how many people say it, a dedicated handheld.
Maybe, maybe not.

Though I'd prefer whatever the next iteration of the 3ds there is to have an HDMI/MiniHDMI port on regardless. I got a YouTube show but I don't wanna pay some rando $600 bucks to violate my warranty and solder one in.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Leg End said:
THERE IS A GOD
Spacewolf said:
But the Switch is a proper console. I'd love a PS4 and Vita release that you can swap saves from at will, but Sony fucked themselves over on that one.
Yea but this is a version that's been upscaled from the handheld isn't it like MHP3rdHD that came out for the PS3.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Saelune said:
altnameJag said:

Nobody knows with certainty. Its one of the most contested aspects of the Switch even among Nintendo die-hards. Every gaming website I go on has somewhat of an argument about this.

The DS was out for 7 years before the 3DS came out and the 3DS has been out for 6. And keep in mind that while the 3DS still sells games as well as the DS did, the 3DS sold half as many hardware Units as the DS.

The 3DS won't be around forever. Anyone saying anything about Nintendo's future in dedicated handhelds with supposed certainty should probably be cautious. If we don't see a dedicated Nintendo handheld in the nest 2-3 years this will be an easier question to answer.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Sony not signing some sort of exclusivity deal for this franchise is one of the biggest blind spots in handheld history. MH is one of the only reasons people bought the PSP for crying out loud. Persona 4 helped sell a shit ton of Vitas, an MH exclusive would have sold potentially millions more. Not enough to surpass the 3DS obviously, but enough to be considered not the failure it is.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
On the one hand, I don't see why this wouldn't be localized. 3, 4, Generations, and the Freedom games all have been, and they've got their own fanbase in English-speaking countries too. On the other hand, Portable 3rd and Frontier G were never brought over for some reason.

Now I am kinda wishing I'd waited to get Generations though. I should've figured they would eventually give it the "Ultimate" treatment like they did with the previous two.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Spacewolf said:
Yea but this is a version that's been upscaled from the handheld isn't it like MHP3rdHD that came out for the PS3.
In a sense, yes. The thing is though, that Monster Hunter in general has minimal difference between console and mobile games. The only exception is Frontier, which is a very different beast from the traditional formula.

In this instance, Monster Hunter may very well have found its dream platform.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Saelune said:
The Switch is not no matter how many people say it, a dedicated handheld.
Hi.

Just out of curiosity, could you elaborate on this?

Because I belong the camp who thinks the Switch is more a handheld with a glorified HDMI cable that can put the screen on the TV, and that the only reason Nintendo marketed it as a home console is to not piss of all the 50+ mil 3DS owner.

I'd love to hear why you think... *re-reads a little*... hmm dedicated handheld... so you think it is a handheld, but not a good enough one to be called a pure handheld? like in the batterylife is the biggest problem?

Anyway, if you would elaborate a little, would make me a happy person to get a little more detail on why people think the way they do about the Switch. It is a console which splits opinions, quite a lot.

Thanks in advance :D

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Guffe said:
Saelune said:
Hi.

Because I belong the camp who thinks the Switch is more a handheld with a glorified HDMI cable that can put the screen on the TV, and that the only reason Nintendo marketed it as a home console is to not piss of all the 50+ mil 3DS owner.

I'd love to hear why you think... *re-reads a little*... hmm dedicated handheld... so you think it is a handheld, but not a good enough one to be called a pure handheld? like in the batterylife is the biggest problem?

Anyway, if you would elaborate a little, would make me a happy person to get a little more detail on why people think the way they do about the Switch. It is a console which splits opinions, quite a lot.

You can play games on your phone, but it aint a gaming console. I think much of the portability of the Switch. It may be more mobile than other consoles, and as someone who would bring gaming consoles with me on vacation, the Switch seems well suited to that better than say, an Xbox.

But playing the Switch on your train ride? While eating out? Waiting between classes? No thanks.

A big part of handheld appeal is well, playing on the go, and I dont think the Switch accommodates that well. Playing it in places outside your living room, ok, neat. Would recommend for a camping trip, but on the way to the camp site? I recommend the 3DS.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Saelune said:
Guffe said:
Saelune said:
Hi.

You can play games on your phone, but it aint a gaming console. I think much of the portability of the Switch. It may be more mobile than other consoles, and as someone who would bring gaming consoles with me on vacation, the Switch seems well suited to that better than say, an Xbox.

But playing the Switch on your train ride? While eating out? Waiting between classes? No thanks.

A big part of handheld appeal is well, playing on the go, and I dont think the Switch accommodates that well. Playing it in places outside your living room, ok, neat. Would recommend for a camping trip, but on the way to the camp site? I recommend the 3DS.
So the size of the console is the problem at hand (no pun intended).
That's fair enough, even if I have jackets with pockets big enough to hold the Switch, since the screen only has a screen protector, I'd still need a small bag or something cover it up with to protect the screen, that is a problem the 3DS doesn't have.
Thanks again for the answer!

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
On the one hand, I don't see why this wouldn't be localized. 3, 4, Generations, and the Freedom games all have been, and they've got their own fanbase in English-speaking countries too. On the other hand, Portable 3rd and Frontier G were never brought over for some reason.

Now I am kinda wishing I'd waited to get Generations though. I should've figured they would eventually give it the "Ultimate" treatment like they did with the previous two.
Good news, if you have a copy of Generations, you can transfer your save data to this game. The other big news is that this game is completely cross-compatible with the 3DS Monster Hunter X/Generation game as well. So you don't have to replay all the old stuff.