Capcom Apologizes for Final Fight: Double Impact DRM

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Really? I think it's just the account and the hard drive, not the console. Because I've gone through a few 360s...
It's tied to the console and gamertag, if the HD is switched to another console you can't play the full game until you go online. At that point it can be 'registered' to the new console, or kept on the previous one.

Delusibeta said:
(Even though the PS3 is yet to be publicly cracked AFAIK)
The most recent PS3 updates are to fix exploits that could allow people to develop programs to play downloaded games. I'm half expecting that this year a 100% working and easy to use crack gets released.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
So this really is the future of the industry? *sigh* well it looks like I really won't be buying many new games from now on. I'm not giving my money to any company that assumes I'm a criminal. I also don't see what the problem is if a friend borrows a game for a while if I already bought it. It's my right to do whatever I want with it.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Thanks pirates! I love having to connect to the internet to play non-online games! Keep up the hacking sharing, or what ever you wanna call it. I can't wait to see what happens next!
But the PS3 has yet to be publicly cracked yet, while the 360 which can be modded to play pirated games didn't get the DRM... (Key word is "yet", but still, Capcom is definitely aiming at the wrong target here.)

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Delusibeta said:
Sober Thal said:
Thanks pirates! I love having to connect to the internet to play non-online games! Keep up the hacking sharing, or what ever you wanna call it. I can't wait to see what happens next!
But the PS3 has yet to be publicly cracked yet, while the 360 which can be modded to play pirated games didn't get the DRM... (Key word is "yet", but still, Capcom is definitely aiming at the wrong target here.)
I don't think the point is them "aiming at the wrong target" as much as it is them having targets at all. The only people these things hurt are the paying customers. The people that get the games by other means will eventually crack it so that they can bypass it. Sure they may have to wait a bit to get it that way but once they do, Capcom has done nothing to protect their interests and have a lot of pissed of paying customers who might ot might not buy more of their endless parade of sequels.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Sober Thal said:
SirPumpkinLongshanks said:
Piracy is a convenient excuse. Things like this would be harder to justify without it but that doesn't mean they wouldn't try and that this wouldn't exist. The gatekeepers are always looking for ways to control their content and we have to tell them where the line is.
By convenient excuse, you mean quoted reason, eh? It sounds like you are defending piracy, and I don't want to argue that with you. Gatekeepers is kinda a strange term to use for people protecting a product, and as far as a 'line' being made by consumers... really? Is this some kinda us vs them thing because a company wants people to pay for the things it sells?

I think you're one that doesn't see things the way I do. So I will say goodbye, and good luck on your noble quest to fight 'the man'.
That's really dumb. This kind of idiotic piracy "prevention" only drives people to pirate games more. Piracy is absolutely a huge problem, and pirates are absolutely hurting the game industry, but this DRM nonsense is quite clearly making pirated versions of a game better than the properly purchased versions. How in the world is that supposed to make people pirate games less???

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
Delusibeta said:
Sober Thal said:
Capcom is aiming directly at game sharing. People can debate piracy all they want, but like you said, the PS3 hasn't been broken yet. So why else would Capcom do something like this? Consoles are becoming more like pc's every day. In both the good and bad aspects. Want to play multi-player? Well, make sure everyone has their own copy of a game. And forget about single disc split screen!

Remember the rumors about Sony wanting to tie games to the console before the PS3 was released? Did Sony encourage Capcom to do this? Is this why Capcom did it first with a PSN game? This gen dl games are being locked to consoles (look at Wiiware and DSware as examples). Next gen, it will be disc games. Then after that all games will be dl only and tied to a console or at best to an individual account. Indy PC games and retro gaming are looking better and better every day.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Dear God, if they're now passing this shit off onto consoles what hope do we PC gamers have?

Feb 4, 2010
Sober Thal said:
By convenient excuse, you mean quoted reason, eh? It sounds like you are defending piracy, and I don't want to argue that with you. Gatekeepers is kinda a strange term to use for people protecting a product, and as far as a 'line' being made by consumers... really? Is this some kinda us vs them thing because a company wants people to pay for the things it sells?

I think you're one that doesn't see things the way I do. So I will say goodbye, and good luck on your noble quest to fight 'the man'.
What they say and what they mean aren't necessarily the same thing. Take piracy, or the kind of piracy we have today, out of the picture and they'd put something else in its place.

I'm not pro-piracy, I am pro-consumer. This policy hurts consumers. The pirates don't suffer for this. That's the thing-nearly every attempt they make to thwart piracy just prevents people like you or me from making full use of the things we buy.

Shamus has gone on and on about things like this. Quite frankly I'm surprised you'd pin me as pro-pirate when all I've done so far is reiterate things people like him have been saying.

rainbowunicorns

May 18, 2009
Charging your consumers for a worse product than others can download for free continues to strike me as a poor business decision.

Before I started using Steam, I pirated virtually all of my games: It was easier for me to pirate than to pay. Then I started using Steam, and it was as easy for me to pay as to pirate, so I paid.

Always-on DRM is pretty much the same thing: you are making it more convenient for me to pirate your game than to pay for it (a.k.a. rent for an indeterminate length of time, since it goes away when the servers go down).

Now, I understand that if Steam goes down, well over a thousand dollars of games will also be gone forever; but I didn't make the choice to go with Steam until it seemed like they had a solid plan for staying in business. It is pretty unreasonable to ask the same level of confidence when your business model involves providing a worse product to consumers than they can download for free.

I will, of course, be picking up a pirated copy of AC2 later this week; making it my first pirated game in ages.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Woodsey said:
Dear God, if they're now passing this shit off onto consoles what hope do we PC gamers have?
Hmm...so you are saying that there are actually PC gamers out there?

[/sarcasm]

We all know it was just a matter of time before this would happen.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The Imp said:
Woodsey said:
Hmm...so you are saying that there are actually PC gamers out there?

[/sarcasm]
Well that was an odd comment.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
SirPumpkinLongshanks said:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree that the DRM is a bad idea for all the reasons that you name. It's just that, having been downloaded, the seller at least has some notion that at some time the buyer had the ability to play the game. Contrasting that with a boxed single-player game that some poor schmuck bought, failing to notice the tiny print on the back saying that it requires an internet connection, and which, once opened, the purchaser can only return for the same game...

It's not that one is good and one is bad. It's more that one is drowning kittens, and the other is setting them on fire.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Putting aside the fact that "always online" DRM is utterly retarded (only slightly less so for consoles than for PCs), why would you even go through the effort of putting aggressive DRM on a game that's over two decades old?
That's the question running through my mind. I look at that picture and think to myself I could just be playing Street Fighter 2 on my Genesis. DUH.
Capcom took Ubisoft's idea and applied it to consoles, which Ubisoft does not do. But then to an old game that one would think is so old it is public domain by now.
I think I have less respect for Capcom than I do for Ubisoft now.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
johnman said:
I am loving this. After all the mocking the PC received for having restrictive DRm from the console grounds has now back fired on them.
The Pc is a year or so ahead of consoles, you may laugh at us now, but soon enough it will affect you too.
PC elitism alert. You make it sound like PC gamers don't also own a console. Also it wouldn't work for discs, just downloaded games because so far, consoles don't need a live connection...yet.

Anyway, this DRM is yet again stupid. And just because they think the ps3 hasn't been cracked yet doesn't mean it hasn't. Because it has.