Capcom Apologizes for Final Fight: Double Impact DRM

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Capcom Apologizes for Final Fight: Double Impact DRM

Capcom [http://www.capcom.com] has issued an apology for the "always on" DRM in Final Fight: Double Impact, not because it's there but because it forgot to tell people about it.

PlayStation 3 owners got a bit of a surprise when they discovered that the Final Fight: Double Impact bundle sold via the PlayStation Store requires a constant connection to the acknowledged [http://uk.playstation.com/psn/store/] the DRM last week, saying it was put into place to combat "rampant 'PSN Sharing'" by limiting access to the game strictly to the PSN account that actually purchased the title. The publisher has now issued an apology to fans - not for the DRM itself, but for failing to let them know about it up front.

"Capcom would like to formally apologize for the issues consumers are having with the PS3 version of Final Fight: Double Impact," the company said in a statement. "Typically, the notification for a required PlayStation Network connection appears in the full game description when a game is downloaded from the PlayStation Store. Unfortunately when populating this content this detail was overlooked and wasn't included in the versions of the game that released in North America and Asia."

"The DRM requirements for Final Fight: Double Impact are not unique to this release," the statement continued. "This protection mechanism has been implemented in numerous games offered on the PlayStation Store before. When it was brought to our attention that the notification was missing, we acted quickly with Sony Computer Entertainment America and a fix is on the way."

I wouldn't expect the "fix" to actually fix anything, however, since it's certain to be just the addition of a DRM warning rather than the removal of the actual DRM. Hope that helps!

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/23/capcom-apologizes-for-unannounced-final-fight-double-impact-drm/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fjoystiq+%28Joystiq%29]

Apr 28, 2008
So it seems that this "always online" DRM is moving to consoles now eh?

Somehow I'm not surprised...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats sneaky...and annoying.

Have to be connected to play...which usually isnt a problem but if a person cannot be connected, seems rather dumb and "Ubisoft"-ish to me...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It works fine on 360 without the connection, from what I hear.

But hey, this still sucks.

My 360 and laptop just have issues connecting in the first place. Once it grabs the signal, it holds it until the power goes off. BUT IT REALLY HAS ISSUES...

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I honestly have stopped caring, the industry seems simply determined to make you want to pirate things.

"So, I own the game, but I can only use it on my account and I can't take it to my mate's place and play it, like I can with my other games?"

"Exactly, you should buy another one!"

"No."

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Putting aside the fact that "always online" DRM is utterly retarded (only slightly less so for consoles than for PCs), why would you even go through the effort of putting aggressive DRM on a game that's over two decades old?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Ultimately, PS3 sharing is an intended feature, and so blocking it off is highly dickish. Especially if you didn't put a warning label on the description.

Ultimately, restrictive DRM is infecting the consoles, and so this will probably be the future of gaming. And I weep, since putting restrictive DRM where there was none will probably reduce sales and encourage piracy. (Even though the PS3 is yet to be publicly cracked AFAIK)

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
DRM on consoles now? really? meh, honestly I think them apologizing for doing something and then failing to undo it kinda makes the whole apology pointless.

Screw Capcom, I think I'm going to pirate this game (that I have no interest in) purely out of spite.

Aitruis

Mar 4, 2009
I refuse to buy any game that has that kind of DRM on it. Most of them I haven't pirated simply because they aren't games I play, but if one comes out that I really do want to play, I'll pirate it instead of buying it.

The sad thing is, if it didn't have the DRM, I'd buy it.

Your money votes, people.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
...why would you even go through the effort of putting aggressive DRM on a game that's over two decades old?
My thoughts exactly. It seems like a complete waste of time and money that could be spent on developing new games. And anyone who really wants the game can always just download the rom anyways. It's been available for at least 10 years.

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

My 360 and laptop just have issues connecting in the first place. Once it grabs the signal, it holds it until the power goes off. BUT IT REALLY HAS ISSUES...
The difference being is that anything you DL from live marketplace is not only tied to your gamertag but your console as well so its not possible to share things like it is on PS3.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
jelock said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

The difference being is that anything you DL from live marketplace is not only tied to your gamertag but your console as well so its not possible to share things like it is on PS3.
Really? I think it's just the account and the hard drive, not the console. Because I've gone through a few 360s...

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Irridium said:

Well, consoles being the ultimate evolution of DRM, this should surprise you. The idea publishers are still finding new and interesting ways to fuck over paying customers while having zero affect on the majority of piracy is... insane.

Apr 28, 2008
Cynical skeptic said:
Irridium said:

Well, consoles being the ultimate evolution of DRM, this should surprise you. The idea publishers are still finding new and interesting ways to fuck over paying customers while having zero affect on the majority of piracy is... insane.
Well, seeing as how they completely fucked of PC gaming, and are continuing to due so, and still not putting a dent in piracy... it just doesn't surprise me that they would go to consoles next.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Does it matter too much? Mine and MANY MANY other PS3s are usually always online when the PS3 is on anyway.

I can see how it can be annoying but is it really a big deal when almost everyone is online whenever the PS3 is on anyway?

Feb 4, 2010
One of the reasons I opted out of getting an Xbox 360 is that I couldn't play any of the games my friend had downloaded when it was over here and not connected to the internet. The fact that content I pay for could be unavailable due to circumstances not always within my control doesn't sit well with me. I was all excited to get my hands on these games, especially Magic Sword, but now I won't. This is where I draw the line. Paid DLC for something already programmed into the game? If the base product is complete, okay. Disk in drive? That's pretty reasonable. Internet connection required to play a single player game? Not now, not ever.