Capcom Apologizes for Final Fight: Double Impact DRM

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
It's funny that the first time I heard about the constant internet connection DRM was this weekend when I read the Ubisoft article and thread. I don't do PC gaming (not because I have an affinity to consoles but medical problems keep me from using a keyboard well enough) so I hadn't heard about it before. In the comments there were people saying "that's why I play on consoles instead of PC" and completely missed the point that if they do it on PC it's only a matter of time before they do it on the consoles. It's sort of like the old "When they came for the Jews I did nothing because I am not a Jew" thing.

Do they not realize that not everyone has a constant internet connection? I'm sure they do it's just that they don't care as long as they can get every last nickel out of the people that made their company a success to begin with.

Oh well, Capcom isn't getting a dime from me until they drop this kind of crap (not that they were getting any money from me anyway since I hate Street Fighter, Mega Man and Resident Evil and that's pretty much the only things they have) and worry even just a tiny bit about their customers.

Sorry for the rant (first post nerves)

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I am loving this. After all the mocking the PC received for having restrictive DRm from the console grounds has now back fired on them.
The Pc is a year or so ahead of consoles, you may laugh at us now, but soon enough it will affect you too.

Shanannara

Apr 7, 2010
jelock said:
The difference being is that anything you DL from live marketplace is not only tied to your gamertag but your console as well so its not possible to share things like it is on PS3.
It isn't. I got all the DLC for Dragon Age on one console and when it broke and I had to replace it, it still worked fine. I have to be connected to XBox Live when I start up the game, but, yeah, it works.

Feb 4, 2010
LeonLethality said:
Does it matter too much? Mine and MANY MANY other PS3s are usually always online when the PS3 is on anyway.

I can see how it can be annoying but is it really a big deal when almost everyone is online whenever the PS3 is on anyway?
I live in an area where my broadband drops randomly for a few hours at a time every couple weeks. Let's say I'm playing Final Fight with a friend and my connection drops-there goes our game. Can we find something else to do? You bet your ass we can, but the thing is I'd still be pretty pissed about not being able to use something I paid for.

Alternatively, I could go download the arcade ROM and setup a two player game on my PC. Assuming the power stays on, nothing will interrupt us and we'll get pretty much the same experience without any of the drawbacks. I'm not going to do that but there's no question that it's the better choice. I can take it anywhere and play it anytime I choose even if the nearest internet connection is miles away.

I'm an old school gamer. Maybe the only reason I think the way I do is because there was a time when I could game without restriction so long as I paid for the disc or cartridge. The industry has taken a step back since then and I don't want to support that. It's a big deal because things could become even more restrictive and if I give them my money -now- I'm bending over and saying, "can you ream me harder?"

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Oh come on, this isn't the least bit necessary. Once again, it's only punishing legit customers.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's obnoxious, but at least they're demanding a connection on a downloaded game, which presupposes the game's owner has an Internet connection (since they downloaded the game in the first place.) What I find really obnoxious is retail/hardcopy versions of games that demand an always-on Internet connection.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Shanannara said:
jelock said:
The difference being is that anything you DL from live marketplace is not only tied to your gamertag but your console as well so its not possible to share things like it is on PS3.
It isn't. I got all the DLC for Dragon Age on one console and when it broke and I had to replace it, it still worked fine. I have to be connected to XBox Live when I start up the game, but, yeah, it works.
If you delete it from your hard drive and then redownload it (it'll still be free) it will then be registered to the new 360 and you don't have to be on XBL to start it up.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
So is Capcom going to refund the money to people who no longer want this game because it was improperly labeled? Seems like fraud to me otherwise.

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
Shanannara said:
jelock said:
If its not on the original console then you can play it on another so long as you log into live, you cant just d/l to another console by sharing your details. The licenses relate to both your console and gamertag - logging into live confirms your GT so it works but if someone used your GT and wasnt logged in then they cant play.

As a side note if you want to be able to play your stuff offline follow these steps to transfer your license to your new console. http://www.xbox.com/en-us/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

Feb 4, 2010
Callate said:
It's obnoxious, but at least they're demanding a connection on a downloaded game, which presupposes the game's owner has an Internet connection (since they downloaded the game in the first place.) What I find really obnoxious is retail/hardcopy versions of games that demand an always-on Internet connection.
I don't think it's better unless we're talking about a game which you'd only play online anyway. Take something like WoW-I don't mind that it stops working if I don't have an internet connection. It doesn't need a single player component and I'd never use it if it had one. Everything that happens is tied to Blizzard's servers and so if my connection drops or I'm in an area where I can't access the internet then it's acceptable that I can't play. It's more like I'm paying for a monthly ticket to a themepark than I am for ownership of a game.

And really, when you boil it down, that's what it comes to: purchasing vs. leasing. If I buy a game then I think of it as mine. I can do whatever I want with it whenever I please. What they're saying by this action is, "it's not yours but we'll give you unlimited access for a fee" which is a terrible arrangement considering I could go out and buy the SNES cartridge for the same price without any of the restrictions. Downloadable or not, if there's no reason I need the internet to play the game then my internet connection (or lack thereof) should be irrelevant.

Keep in mind that one of the reasons I'd buy a game like this is because I might unhook my PS3 and take it to a friend's house or a family function and a game like Final Fight would be perfect for people who aren't up for something more in-depth. In these circumstances it's unlikely I'd be able to connect my PS3 to the internet, thus Capcom has taken away one of my purchasing incentives. There are numerous practicalities which this DRM doesn't account for.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
jelock said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
It works fine on 360 without the connection, from what I hear.

But hey, this still sucks.

My 360 and laptop just have issues connecting in the first place. Once it grabs the signal, it holds it until the power goes off. BUT IT REALLY HAS ISSUES...
Really? I think it's just the account and the hard drive, not the console. Because I've gone through a few 360s...
Then you must have gone through the license transfer. If you don't do that then any game or DLC will not show up (well games will as trials) unless you are connected.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
squid5580 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
jelock said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

My 360 and laptop just have issues connecting in the first place. Once it grabs the signal, it holds it until the power goes off. BUT IT REALLY HAS ISSUES...
Really? I think it's just the account and the hard drive, not the console. Because I've gone through a few 360s...
Then you must have gone through the license transfer. If you don't do that then any game or DLC will not show up (well games will as trials) unless you are connected.
Hang on. I've been D/C'd from Live for the past few days. I just checked. Only certain games are trials...the others aren't.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
squid5580 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
jelock said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Hang on. I've been D/C'd from Live for the past few days. I just checked. Only certain games are trials...the others aren't.
Anything you D/Led to your old console should be trials. All you need to do is go to xbox.com and do the license transfer (as long as you haven't done it for a year). Then follow the instructions. You will need your 360 connected though.

Feb 4, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Thanks pirates! I love having to connect to the internet to play non-online games! Keep up the hacking sharing, or what ever you wanna call it. I can't wait to see what happens next!
If piracy stopped they'd still do this.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
This is more then an, "Oops" thing. This is falsely representing your product. This is, "Give a refund or get your ass sued" territory. This is like forgetting point out that the Vegan Veggie Burgers you're selling are made with cows blood and baby dolphins. If I bought this game, I would have been pissed. Okay, mistakes happen. Now offer everyone refunds, or else you arn't the makers of a mistake, you're filthy, filthy liars.

Feb 4, 2010
Sober Thal said:
SirPumpkinLongshanks said:
Sober Thal said:
Thanks pirates! I love having to connect to the internet to play non-online games! Keep up the hacking sharing, or what ever you wanna call it. I can't wait to see what happens next!
If piracy stopped they'd still do this.
Yeah, you're right. It is still the fault of pirates that this exists tho. Doesn't matter anyway, being as piracy won't stop, greed spreads fast and is a tough habit to break.
Piracy is a convenient excuse. Things like this would be harder to justify without it but that doesn't mean they wouldn't try and that this wouldn't exist. The gatekeepers are always looking for ways to control their content and we have to tell them where the line is.