Capcom Bringing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Action Home

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Capcom Bringing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Action Home

If you've ever wished the Ryu was a little - or a lot - meaner, Capcom has a treat in store for you.

Street Fighter IV games have been the center of an prolonged custody battle between consoles and the arcade. The series debuted in the arcade, coming to consoles a year later with more characters and new features. The same thing happened with Super Street Fighter IV, except in reverse, with the arcade wearing the crown. But now, Capcom has announced that everything will finally be equal, and the Arcade Edition content will soon be available in people's homes.

The Arcade Edition contains four new characters - or at least new-ish. Players will be able to play as Evil Ryu - who is like regular Ryu but with a tweaked set of moves to better reflect his meaner attitude and darker powers - and Oni, an even more evil version of Akuma, who has had his move list similarly altered. Also joining the roster are twin fighters Yun and Yang, who first appeared in Street Fighter 3, which is, rather confusingly, set after SSFIV chronologically. The Arcade Edition will also include some balance tweaks - although Capcom may roll those out as a patch for everyone, regardless of whether they buy the Arcade Edition or not - and new options for watching and following replays.

The Arcade Edition content will be available as DLC for the Xbox 360 and PS3, where it will cost a penny short of fifteen bucks. It will also be available as a retail edition which will include the full game. This will be available for Xbox 360 and PS3 as well, but it also makes the debut of Super Street Fighter IV on the PC as well. The DLC will be available on June 7th, and the retail version will be available on June 28th for the console versions, and some time in July for the PC version.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/297791/news/ssfiv-arcade-edition-is-official-coming-to-pc] and Event Hubs [http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/apr/12/details-cover-and-images-super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition/]

dsawyers9

Aug 20, 2009
hmm, not bad, the move to a 3d 2d version of SF is a good move and SF4 was a huge success from my knowledge.

Dec 14, 2009
Nice to see they're offerring it as DLC as well as retail.

Maybe give me a reason to stop playing MvC3...

[sub]Maybe...[/sub]

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Well that's cool, I was worried it would be disc only when I heard they were planning this a little while back. I was holding off buying the game just incase.

Still, it doesn't really sound like the new content is worth the price, unlike the Super version...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Despite being a fighting game fan, I've been pretty solid in sticking to my guns over NOT buying "Super Street Fighter IV" or "Marvel Vs. Capcom 3" despite liking both those games and wanting them pretty badly. I've had the money on several occasions, but chose to get other games instead.

You might say "but Therumancer, that's your loss, your just missing out". Well in this case I'm pointing it out because of all the complaints about Capcom since the release. Simply put I think they are gouging people. I think they have held back a lot of content to sell as DLC, rather than making the best games they could, and despite pretensions otherwise I don't care for the way they engaged in their old-school "Turboing" of te franchise by releasing the "Super" version of Street Fighter IV so close to the first release of it which I *DID* buy.

I'm not calling for a boycott or anything, just pointing out that I'm sticking to my principles, and I think other people should do so also, because if we don't this kind of thing is just going to get worse and more exploitive.

A $15 download for what amounts to a couple of new characters for a game you already paid for seems a bit excessive. Indeed it sounds like this is the "Turbo Gold" version of "Street Fighter IV" but they got smart enough to realize that more people would wind up like me if they just decided to release these upgrades as "new version boxed game only" upgrade.

I just ask people to think about this, and what they are actually buying, and the business model they are supporting. Honestly, for the initial outlay of cash I'd argue that upgrades like this should be free, or at least a whole heck of a lot cheaper than $15 for which you could buy an entire XBL game. The more people pay for increasingly trivial DLC, the more that will be held back, and the more money they will charge for increasingly less content. I think Capcom is one of the worst offenders with this kind of business model.

Even if you disagree with me, I'd appreciate avoiding the flames. I am just saying that I think this sounds very typical to me, and it's exactly why they aren't getting my business as insignifigant as that may be, and if there is anyone out there that thinks $15 is excessive for content like this, then I encourage you to not "bite the bullet" or succumb to pressure (peer pressure included). No organized boycott, just stop buying trivial and overpriced DLC from major companies.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
Therumancer said:
Despite being a fighting game fan, I've been pretty solid in sticking to my guns over NOT buying "Super Street Fighter IV" or "Marvel Vs. Capcom 3" despite liking both those games and wanting them pretty badly. I've had the money on several occasions, but chose to get other games instead.

You might say "but Therumancer, that's your loss, your just missing out". Well in this case I'm pointing it out because of all the complaints about Capcom since the release. Simply put I think they are gouging people. I think they have held back a lot of content to sell as DLC, rather than making the best games they could, and despite pretensions otherwise I don't care for the way they engaged in their old-school "Turboing" of te franchise by releasing the "Super" version of Street Fighter IV so close to the first release of it which I *DID* buy.

I'm not calling for a boycott or anything, just pointing out that I'm sticking to my principles, and I think other people should do so also, because if we don't this kind of thing is just going to get worse and more exploitive.

A $15 download for what amounts to a couple of new characters for a game you already paid for seems a bit excessive. Indeed it sounds like this is the "Turbo Gold" version of "Street Fighter IV" but they got smart enough to realize that more people would wind up like me if they just decided to release these upgrades as "new version boxed game only" upgrade.

I just ask people to think about this, and what they are actually buying, and the business model they are supporting. Honestly, for the initial outlay of cash I'd argue that upgrades like this should be free, or at least a whole heck of a lot cheaper than $15 for which you could buy an entire XBL game. The more people pay for increasingly trivial DLC, the more that will be held back, and the more money they will charge for increasingly less content. I think Capcom is one of the worst offenders with this kind of business model.

Even if you disagree with me, I'd appreciate avoiding the flames. I am just saying that I think this sounds very typical to me, and it's exactly why they aren't getting my business as insignifigant as that may be, and if there is anyone out there that thinks $15 is excessive for content like this, then I encourage you to not "bite the bullet" or succumb to pressure (peer pressure included). No organized boycott, just stop buying trivial and overpriced DLC from major companies.
I liked Marvel vs. Capcom 3 but it wasn't difficult to notice it felt unfinished. Seeing the way Capcom is handling the Street fighter games, I wouldn't be surprised if 6 months from now we hear of a Super Marvel vs Capcom 3 Arcade Turbo 3d whatever. Sorry Capcom, I'm done here.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
So, any chance on 3D edition getting Oni? *cricket choir* Please?

MONKEY PAAAAAWWWW! T-T

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I could have swore that Capcom promised no extra editions after Super SF4. But this IS Capcom.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Yeah, I'm not gonna buy this at all. I'm fed up with the way they've been feeding us extra modes, costumes, and characters as DLC when it should have been on the disc. Capcom can suck a thousand dicks for all I care.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Nice.
Freaking Oni looks awesome.
Now to decide if im gonna go after the new disc or just the DLC.

And is it just me, or did Yang sound like he was being voiced by Johnny Young Bosch?

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
twm1709 said:
I liked Marvel vs. Capcom 3 but it wasn't difficult to notice it felt unfinished. Seeing the way Capcom is handling the Street fighter games, I wouldn't be surprised if 6 months from now we hear of a Super Marvel vs Capcom 3 Arcade Turbo 3d whatever. Sorry Capcom, I'm done here.
Really?
How did it feel unfinished too you?
Im being honest, aside from Shuma and Jill being released pretty closely after the game release, i didn't notice anything wrong.
The characters were all pretty balanced and there was a great selection.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
Nice.
Not to decide if im gonna go after the new disc or just the DLC.

And is it just me, or did Yang sound like he was being voiced by Johnny Young Bosch?
That's because he is voiced by him.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Nice.

Awesome.
I really like his voice, if only he would cut back on the yelling a bit.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Nice.

Awesome.
Then that wouldn't be Johnny Young Bosch now would it?

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Nice.

Awesome.
Then that wouldn't be Jphnny Young Bosch now would it?
Well i.....but.....you.....
Damn your right.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Nice.

Awesome.
Damn your right.
Hee hee. None-the-less, once I get this game. We're gonna fight.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Nice.

Awesome.
Damn your right.
Hee hee. None-the-less, once I get this game. We're gonna fight.
Defiantly.
So far Guile and Ibuki are my mains.