Capcom "Cautiously Optimistic" That Its Typo Troubles Are Over

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Capcom "Cautiously Optimistic" That Its Typo Troubles Are Over

Capcom says it has no excuse for the embarrassing spate of spelling errors that have plagued its packages but hopes that "new processes" will keep it from happening again.

I'm not sure what's been going on at Capcom lately but it sure seems like somebody isn't paying attention. Resident Evil: Revelations went out the door as "Capcpom [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115738-Capcom-Offers-New-Error-Free-RE-Revelations-Case-Sleeve]."

Amazingly, it's not just one guy asleep at the switch; in fact, it sounds like it's just about everyone. "For Resident Evil: Revelations, I can't even tell you how many people looked at that package and approved it," Capcom Senior Vice President Christian Svensson told Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/13/capcom-going-big-with-resident-evil-6.aspx]. "Nintendo of America, Nintendo Japan, ESRB, I don't know how many people internally, and our guys in Japan. I can't come up with an excuse for it. It just happened. We're not happy about it."

Three typos in a month was enough to convince Capcom to employ "new processes" with people outside the company to try to keep it from happening again. "We've redefined who has final say over packaging. I'm cautiously optimistic we won't be seeing this happen again," Svensson continued. "It's embarrassing. I can't really sugarcoat it."

There is one upside to the whole thing, though, above and beyond the cheap laughs we've all enjoyed at Capcom's expense. "There are only about 90,000 units that have the misprint," he said. "If you've got it and it's shrink-wrapped, that's a new special edition, that's our new strategy."

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Capcom discovered spell-check!

By process they mean F7

At least they're pretty good natured about this. And hey if Resident Evil was squeezed to heck it might have made a genuinely cool collectors item too

Ceratops

Jan 25, 2012
At least they're up front about it and poking a bit of fun at themselves. They could have looked like douches along with being bad spellers.

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
I say they run with it. Create some comedy games where a healthy bulk of the humor comes from awkward misspellings and typos. Laugh with us.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008

Seriously though, I hope Capcom's spelling doesn't get any better. This shit is hilarious.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Resident Evil: Revelaitons. I have it and it's never leaving its shrink wrap so there we go; one out of...well two since the Steel Battalion thing sounds like a download-only thing. Here's to hoping the next game they misspell is one I wouldn't normally mind shelling out full price on. There have been far greater errors in the past though (I'm looking at you, Bimmy Lee)

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Aw man, but I was finding this slew of typos rather endearing. I'd even begun to think of it as a Capcom trait.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Internet can't exactly laugh, most of us aren't the best of spellers, let alone grammar (at least a few dozen mistakes in this very thread, some in my post).