Capcom Contest Loses Severed Limbs

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Capcom Contest Loses Severed Limbs

Citizens of London are asked to be on the lookout for bloody, dismembered arms, legs and other body parts which Resident Evil 5 [http://www.capcom.com/] fans find them first.

Capcom decided to mark tomorrow's release of Resident Evil 5 in the U.K. with a contest. And not just any contest! No, Capcom wanted this one to be memorable. So the company had a number of realistic-looking bloody body parts, including arms, legs, heads and torsos scattered around the city, which preregistered participants would search for, collect and take to the Westminster Bridge by 11 am.

"Alert us to your presence by standing on the bridge, holding the artificial body parts over your head and shouting 'Kijuju!'" Capcom said in the contest announcement [http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2009/03/10/find_body_pieces_win_trip_to_africa]. "We will be there, watching you, and will approach when you make yourselves known."

When I first heard about this contest I thought to myself, I don't see how this could possibly go wrong. Yet despite the one-in-a-million odds that anything untoward could result from spreading severed zombie appendages around a major population center, things did in fact go somewhat awry. A winner was crowned, 26-year-old IT consultant Steve Long, but once the contest had ended Capcom noticed that a number of body parts hadn't been found. Not entirely surprising, perhaps, but when company reps were unable to find them, things took a turn for the potentially problematic.

A head, two torsos and six limbs have gone missing in the streets of London, and Capcom is concerned that people might mistake them for the real thing. Yes, they're that good; animal parts were actually used to make them more realistic (and disgusting) and contest winner Long described them as "horrifically gory," adding, "They were definitely realistic enough to be confused with the real thing."

"The body parts are very realistic and we don't want people to be alarmed by them. They've all been taken from their original positions, but we now have no idea where they are," a Capcom rep said in a statement.

"If you have them, please either return them, or dispose of them in a responsible and careful manner," he continued. "In addition, chicken livers were used for added gore, and, uncooked, they can be dangerous."

So take note, Londoners: If you find any mutilated, rotting body parts lying half-hidden on the street, for God's sake be sure to cook it before you eat it.

Source: Gamezine.co.uk [http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/capcom-s-body-parts-competition-goes-wrong-limbs-missing-$1279812.htm]

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I'm gonna go 'out on a limb' here and say that students probably stole them.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Lukeje said:
I'm gonna go 'out on a limb' here say that students probably stole them.
Dude, I'm a student, and the worst we've ever stolen is a traffic sign from the roadworks across the street (cliche, I know). In fact, Accomodation Services came to our flat and formally requested that we put the signs back properly, God knows what they'd think if we had body parts in the fridge... That said, as far as I'm aware, there aren't many crazy games developers in Leeds, so this is pretty unlikely. I suppose the organisers of RAG Week might think up something like this now though, I mean, our Union is already voting on whether or not to have ABBA as the university's official band...

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
That is....interesting. I want to know what people thought when they saw one of those limbs somewhere.

Bling Cat

Jan 13, 2008
Thank you Maly, for the wonderful image of the looks I would get if I stood on Westminster bridge holding a severed limb shouting "Kijuju!". I needed a laugh.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Trivun said:
Lukeje said:
I'm gonna go 'out on a limb' here say that students probably stole them.
Dude, I'm a student, and the worst we've ever stolen is a traffic sign from the roadworks across the street (cliche, I know). In fact, Accomodation Services came to our flat and formally requested that we put the signs back properly, God knows what they'd think if we had body parts in the fridge... That said, as far as I'm aware, there aren't many crazy games developers in Leeds, so this is pretty unlikely. I suppose the organisers of RAG Week might think up something like this now though, I mean, our Union is already voting on whether or not to have ABBA as the university's official band...
I'm also a student, and I know that realistic-looking body parts could be used to make some awesome costumes.

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
How the hell did they get permission to do something like this?
Surely someone would have thought it wasn't a great idea..

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I couldn't stop laughing at this. Who thought that it was a good idea to do this in a major city? And they actually used real animal parts to make them look realistic. Surely they had to get some kind of permission for this. Whoever gave it should probably be fired. Still, it was pretty amusing.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
dekkarax said:
Best...contest...EVER
Agreed.
Brokkr said:
I couldn't stop laughing at this. Who thought that it was a good idea to do this in a major city? And they actually used real animal parts to make them look realistic. Surely they had to get some kind of permission for this. Whoever gave it should probably be fired. Still, it was pretty amusing.
No, no...this was too good to fire anyone over.
EmileeElectro said:
Why can't anything fun happen in Bradford!
Nobody loves Bradford, wherever it is.
The person who thought it up shouldn't be fired because it is so funny, but if a city official gave the ok on this he probably should be.

Unusual_Bulge

May 30, 2008
Realistic body parts + Major river running through city = A number of busy nights on high alert for the river police when people call in after seeing this stuff floating about.

On a slightly related and amusing note, in my small town, with a small town newspaper, front page headline news was made a while back when police and members of the public were left distressed for a couple of hours at the river bank. Police 'divers' were called in to fish out what turned out to be a rubber glove caught on a stick, which apparently looked a lot like a dismembered hand, with the flowing water filling the glove to realistic proportions.

(I say 'divers' because the river is really no more than 2 feet deep most of the time)

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Wow If I was a mass murderer who decidedd I was gonna go on some killing spree then dismember the bodys I would be sooooooo relieved right now.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
If I was in the contest I would've gotten a dog to take a bite out of a limb and then returned the body part to the contest guys complaining that it didn't taste good.

Aramax

Sep 27, 2007
Capcom... lots of crazy mofo in that company. Why they decided to use chicken liver to add more realism is beyond my grasp... of course if there's only one prize people are going to keep the game pieces as souvenir. What was the contest prize anyway?