Capcom Counsels Patience With Resident Evil 6 on PC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Capcom Counsels Patience With Resident Evil 6 on PC

Capcom VP Chritian Svensson says the PC port of Resident Evil 6 is going to take awhile, because nobody wants another Resident Evil 4.

PC ports are harder than they look. So says Capcom Senior Vice President Christian Svensson, who recently asked for patience when pressed about when the PC version of Resident Evil 6 might be ready. "It is a small, but appropriately sized team working on the RE6 PC project. It is a different group than originally planned, lest it would have taken even longer than it currently will but this team will do a better job than what was being considered originally," he wrote in the "Ask Capcom" forum.

"The process did not begin until after the console versions were complete, submitted, approved by console 1st parties to use that final codebase as the starting point," he explained. "It will be some time still before we provide details on release dates and PC specific parameters."

Capcom is taking its time with Resident Evil 6 in large part because of the mess that was the PC port of Resident Evil 4, which lacked mouse support and suffered from shoddy keyboard controls, decidedly sub-par visual quality, rendering issues and other problems. Svensson acknowledged that those issues were the result of rushing its development.

"Projects like this you guys seem to think are 'trivial' but they are not," he said. "When they get treated as trivial, you end up with Resident Evil 4 PC... which I don't think too many true fans were pleased with."

Earlier this month, Svensson said the PC version of Resident Evil 6 [http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-6-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SXLQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348069456&sr=8-1&keywords=resident+evil+6] would take "several months" to complete.

Source: Capcom [http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/29378881/mr-svensson-can-you-tell-us-when-start-to-make-resident-evil-6-pc-version&post_num=34#524127181]

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
Why are they worried about about another RE4? The RE5 port was one of the best console to pc ports i've ever seen, so was lost planet, Devil may cry 4 and the Street fighter games, all excellent ports. Sadly this seems like the usual ubisoft move and assume all pc gamers are going to pirate it day one and never buy it.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
The PC version of RE4 was truly atrocious. I'd rather a complete game in months than a half assed version tomorrow.

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Capcom VP Chritian Svensson says the PC port of Resident Evil 6 is going to take awhile, because nobody wants another Resident Evil 4.
No, we hated RS5. 4 was actually good, pc port sucked though...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
ivc392 said:
Andy Chalk said:
No, we hated RS5. 4 was actually good, pc port sucked though...
That's what he meant.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I think I'm the only person in the world who liked the PC port of RE4 solely on the grounds that it had mod support.

Having said that, it's absolute shit without a gamepad and mods. On top of that, it's a port of a port. The PC version was poorly ported over from the PS2 version, which was poorly ported over from the Gamecube version.

Of course, this isn't the first port of a port [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter:_The_Movie_(home_video_game)] that Capcom produced.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I counsel all PC players to have patiance when buying the game, pick it up (if its any good) at some bargain bin/holiday sales.

They make the PC market wait, we should make them wait for thier profits... its only fair I think, perhaps then more will try following in Gearbox (Borderlands 2) and Firaxis (XCOM:Enemy Uknown) paths and see the PC as a equal market to the console.
Both the mentioned games have very PC specific attention, and somehow managed to avoid all this delays with the PC port others (notably , Ubicrap) are struggling with...

... suggests to me at least the delays are more accounting and marketing issues, than technical issues.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
ASnogarD said:
They make the PC market wait, we should make them wait for thier profits.
The thing is: can we really wait? gamers are like gamblers and drug addicts, when we need our fix we need them now!

I'm not disagreeing with you, I actually do agree with you and think if every gamer can buy their games strategically as a means to communicate with the game companies we'll all be playing better games now.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Capcom VP Chritian Svensson says Resident Evil 6 is going to take awhile, because nobody wants another Resident Evil 4.
Is how I originally read it, and I thought, yes, yes we do, that is exactly what we want. We don't want another Resident Evil 5.

Now I've read the true statement however... no, no we don't want another Resident Evil 4.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Capcom isnt the only one to make games, hell I would even say they lost the knack for making good games when they changed to trying to make money machines.
Thier new stuff is souless , rehashes of past glories with the magic ripped out and replace with marketing data results and predictions.

There are plenty of games out there, check out the indie stuff for inovation, support games that cater equally to all the markets... by which I mean put 360 stuff in the 360 versions, PS3 stuff in the PS3 versions and PC stuff in the PC versions.
Wait up on cash cow sequels, buy 'em a bit later after release... you still get the game, and get to flip the suits a finger at the same time... bargain.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Meh, if the PC version had a release date, I would wait. But since I'm looking forward to this game I'll just pick it up on the PS3. I'll play it on there, then when the PC version comes out I'll pick it up on a Steam sale down the road. There is no reason to finish one product before working on another version of the same product. He is trying to give the impression that it's a quality control thing when it's it a sloppy business thing.