Capcom Defends Locked Content in Street Fighter X Tekken

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
THIS is my problem with On-Disk DLC: I don't think it should be free, I think it shouldn't even exist! If we accept paying extra for content that had finished production AND testing soon enough to be included with shipping, we're essentially giving them a blank check to withhold as much of the game as they please. If they produce bonus material at a latter date I'll pay for it, but if it's included on the disk it should be included in the game. No gimmicks!
I can see your point and I don't necessarily disagree. But it would lead to developers stopping doing anything once the game hits its finished feature set and then starting up again once it goes gold rather.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
THIS is my problem with On-Disk DLC: I don't think it should be free, I think it shouldn't even exist! If we accept paying extra for content that had finished production AND testing soon enough to be included with shipping, we're essentially giving them a blank check to withhold as much of the game as they please. If they produce bonus material at a latter date I'll pay for it, but if it's included on the disk it should be included in the game. No gimmicks!
Exactly. Next thing we know, we'll be paying $60 for the first "tutorial" level of our games. If we want the real thing, we'll be forced to shell out $10-$15 for each level.

I propose that we stop this bullshit before we miss our chance.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Just this.

Nyaoku

Jan 7, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
I second this. The only problem is that they do this in order to keep from having to go through the reevaluation thing with the rating board and prolong release dates. It's nice that they get to continue working on it during that time but they shouldn't put that data on the disk itself.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Capcom... I am dissapoint... you're seriously getting closer and closer to my boycott list, along with ActiBlizzard, EA and UbiSoft (except Rayman Origins, wich is the ONLY good game they've released in the last 7 years, this generation, or at least the only one I'm interested in and it doesn't have DRM).

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Why is everyone so mad about Disk Loaded Content? I mean you pay for the disk or the download then you pay for the Disk Loaded Content, then maybe new stuff will come out as Downloadable Content (DC for short).

DLC is just DC but on the product you already paid for usually mostly ready to play/use.

I though we all knew Capcom liked to nickel and dime us. DLC just means buy when game is cheaper to adapt to games that you know will come with a ton of dlc. Keeps the games at a decent price too.

To think this could all be avoided by just not putting it on the disk, oh well I suppose we can't expect all game publishers and developers to be smarter than my dog. (She finishes her whole game and 1 year of dlc before shipping her games, but doesn't mention dlc until 1 month has passed after release and it all must be downloaded)

Sep 14, 2009
wow this is some stupid horseshit. balls to outright say it i suppose...but nonetheless

there is a reason i have a ridiculously huge backlog of games...publishers, my wallet isn't budging a single cent with practices like these. Hell, if I ever get massive amounts of money, I'll probably end up supporting CD Projekt red with it, just based on principle alone.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I'm defending forcefully penetrating each chairman of Capcom anally.

There's no effective distinction between forcefully penetrating them, and spiking their drinks and doing so with their passed-out bodies.

I don't feel that I need to explain exactly how stupid Capcom is.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
blackdwarf said:
when i pay my sixty euros, i pay for all the work that is finished so far.
Actually that's not true. You pay for whatever is offered by the company. They could put the entire game on the disc and charge you only for the intro cinematic. It's their choice; it's their product. As a consumer, your choice is whether or not to buy.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Y'know what?

I don't care what Capcom says in this.

They are wrong. Just.. wrong.
If there is a god, and I'd be able to ask him if this was wrong, he'd say: "how did you get my number?" and then hang up on me, but he'd definitely agree with me that it's wrong.

Seriously, it just boggles the mind how anyone can even justify Capcoms logic. Pay for content you've already bought. It's the greatest perfectly legal SCAM yet!

Yes, a SCAM. They are SCAMMING you for more money for a product you've already paid for. Money changed hands, you got a disc. They can pretend that it's a "licence" and that you don't really own the game, but once again, they're WRONG! It's YOUR disc! You can do whatever the hell you want with it! That's why re-selling it back to the shop works so well. It's a physical item! Deal with it!

In that exact same sense you are ENTITLED to what is on that disc. You have a RIGHT to access the content on it, because that is what you PAID FOR.

Unless there's a nice big warning text on the box saying: "Game disc contains stuff that's not included with your purchase. We're just lending it to you because we want to save bandwidth costs when and if we decide to let you buy it, and by signing a document agreeing to these terms you accept this deal. Otherwise, put the box back on the shelf NOW.", you have a right to access that content using whatever means you see fit.

Just like in that analogy earlier in the thread about the car, I would have the goddamn right to pry open the f*****g trunk if the asshole salesman didn't give me the key for it.

phew... ok, I've calmed down now.

But seriously, how much are we going to let them get away with? Don't buy this. I know it'd moot to ask it, since most sales are done to people who have no idea, but every little bit counts.

Euphbug

Mar 31, 2009
I...I just....I just don't know how Capcom did it, but they just past EA as my least like game corporation I know of. This is honestly just bad, and the fact that since it will still sell so more companies will start doing it is what rubs the salt in the wound. Well I guess my wallet will never give anything over to either EA and Capcom now. Which is a shame since before this I was on a bit of neutral ground when it came to Capcom, neither hating nor loving them, at least till now.

May 8, 2011
If you don't like their practices, don't buy their games. For those of you who have the game already, don't buy the DLC. If you want to play the characters on the DLC, then wait for a hacker to tell everyone how to unlock them and play them for free. It's not theft if they give it to you.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I'm actually impressed at Capcom's balls. It takes real guts to draw an artibtrary line about what a full game experience is when other companes try and shove in as much content as possible.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
See, the thing about DLC is that it's an acronym. It's not just code for 'stuff we can charge people extra for later', the letters actually stand for something. That would be DownLoadable Content. As such, in order for it to really be DLC, you have to actually be downloading something. If the content's already on the disc, then it's not DLC, it's just making people pay twice for something they already own.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Wow, that's just pure evil. I mean... day-one dlc was one thing...but this is a whole 'nother level of just greed. Why did the Board agree that this was a good idea? Wouldn't this just make your customers hate you even more?

Is this going to follow the practices of the other two fighters as well? Wait for the loyalists to buy it first day and then sell everything at once for a cheaper price later on and hope the loyalists decide to buy it a second time?

I'm so glad you guys shelved Powerstone. You can't ruin my good memories of that little bundle with your horrible practices.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Considering that I've had a hard-on for the idea for a Tekken/Street Fighter crossover since before one was ever announced, it makes me wonder how angry I'd be about this if I wasn't actually a bigger fan of Tekken than Street Fighter. I imagine I'd be goddamn infuriated as opposed to simply angry.

I await Tekken X Street Fighter with intense eagerness. Even ardent Capcom defenders can't argue that Namco doesn't pack the Tekken games with more content for a lesser price than Capcom does with Street Fighter. That's just straight-up fact.

I await thy sweet fight-nectar, Namco.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I just love the "but it's funded separately" defense.

Why, as a consumer, are you even concerned with how it's funded. Your TV may have been funded separately from the remote but that isn't a consumer issue is it? This is just Capcom giving some BS explanation and gamers actually letting them get away with it.

The slippery slope that came with the beginning of DLC; we're atleast half way down the slope now and many gamers are pretending we haven't slid at all.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
It'd be nice if Corporations weren't actually greedy bastards and instead would actually make games for gamers, not money. It'd be nice if developers/publishers would stop taking advantage of gamers and instead work at using this generation of gaming to further the medium.

It'd also be nice if I could fly and shoot laser beams from my eyes. I think that has a better chance of happening.

Instead I wish that gamers would actually grow a spine and stop supporting companies that rip them off, and that reviewers would grow a spine and maybe call out the corporations for doing said greedy things.

Until that happens, we are stuck with developers/publishers trying to nickel and dime their sheep as much as they possibly can...

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I'm sorry, but no. You're essentially telling people that you think it's okay to make them pay full price for something they're not gone to get fully, so you can sale the rest of the game to them later.

I'm okay with DLC made after the games budget was spent on the main game, and now they're using money not from the budget to make DLC for the game. Fine. But if you're screwing people over to nickel and dime them for content that you made with the budget for the game you're selling, then you're just a greedy ass.

But this is Capcom, rip off artists at the finest.