Capcom Defends RE5 DLC Pricing

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Capcom Defends RE5 DLC Pricing

Plenty of gamers are miffed that they have to pay for Resident Evil 5's competitive Versus Mode DLC, but Capcom thinks the price tag is wholly justified, considering the circumstances.

Yesterday's announcement of the just-released Resident Evil 5's Versus Mode DLC, which will add a competitive multiplayer mode to the game for the cost of $4.99 on PSN and 400 MS Points on Xbox Live, was met with some scorn from gamers. It wasn't a huge uproar, but people were understandably upset that Capcom would be asking them to pay for a mode that they argued should already be in the game.

The company has responded to these criticisms, defending the mode as worthy of charging for considering the context of the series and the game itself. "Although Versus mode makes use of the assets that exist in the game, the functionality is not currently in the game and is above and beyond the initial scope of Resident Evil 5," a Capcom representative told MSXboxWorld [http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/news/article/9524/Capcom-defends-Resident-Evil-versus-mode-pricing.html].

They also pointed to the fact that releasing the DLC isn't exactly cost-free for themselves. "We have never included a versus mode in Resident Evil before, and as well as the costs of development of the feature, there's also additional bandwidth costs associated with it," Capcom explained.

Some valid points, but nothing that'll assuage the critics. Well, if you don't want it, don't buy it. Vote with your wallets, folks.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
I would say they had a point if they were releasing it several months after the initial launch of the game. Releasing it just a few weeks after the game came out meant they had it developed, or at least almost complete, and they want some extra money for it. Yes it's entirely within their right to want more money, but it reeks of bad business. But in the end it's up the consumer, if we all show them we're willing to pay five bucks for a function that was already completed a few weeks after we buy the game, then it will become far more common for the companies to do this. If I'm going to pay for DLC it should reflect the fact that team put alot of extra effort into creating it, such as the Fallout or GTA 4 DLC. They're like the mission packs I used to spend 25-30 dollars retail back in the day for Quake, Quake 2, Half-Life, Warcraft, etc... but they cost less as DLC. Those were almost new games though, paying for DLC which was almost complete and would've delayed the release date by a few weeks to implement isn't worth buying.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
TheNecroswanson said:
Keane Ng said:
Vote with your wallets, folks.
Care to tell us when that has ever worked? Sonic Team seems to think that constant failure is winning.
In Sonic Team's bizarro world where Sonic is a yeti, failing IS winning!

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
How is this different from all the other games that newly introduce a multiplayer or online mode they didn't have before? (Every single multiplayer/online game)

We're paying for AN ENTIRE GAME! You shouldn't be able to hide behind the fact that your game is a sequel as an excuse for its inferiority.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
One thing i never got about console DLC, you guys have to pay for it. And you dont get the massive mod community either which would gladly do the same work for free.
On XBL you have to pay to change your name for christs sake, why go you go with this crap?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
johnman said:
One thing i never got about console DLC, you guys have to pay for it. And you dont get the massive mod community either which would gladly do the same work for free.
On XBL you have to pay to change your name for christs sake, why go you go with this crap?
The name has a character limit which annoys me, especially if I had to pay to get one.

I hate being "El Arab De Magnfco" (no I's)

Though, lets not hijack a news thread.

As for my thoughts, we're talking to the guys who charged for difficulty levels on Megaman 9. This could have been 20 dollars and I wouldn't have been surprised.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
They should have released this DLC pack, at least months after the game had been released to retail stores and what's not. While I wouldn't mind to extend the replay value of a game with DLCs, it's a little bit amateurish to release a gaming component, in this case multiplayer ,which is seen as to be included in a retail package, although, releasing it later, would have been seen more as a bonus than a subterfuge from Capcom to try to get more "moneh!".

Then again, Unreal 2 received it's multiplayer component as a free DLC months after the game was shipped.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
"Although Versus mode makes use of the assets that exist in the game, the functionality is not currently in the game and is above and beyond the initial scope of Resident Evil 5,"
-THAT is the sort of thing I'd expect to hear in a fucking IT Consulting firm meeting about a project for a client. Also, this mode seems to unappealing in the first place that I have a feeling that Capcom will be selling this for free in a few months. First off, how the hell can you play a "deathmatch" type game when you need to stand still to fire?! Won't it just come down to who can aim the shotgun at the head the quickest? I think the other mode is just like a duel mode of who of 2 can get the highest score. That sounds like a breeding ground for asshole "I'm better than you!" players.

You can't charge users for throwaway DLC like this. This game is going to generate enough money to feed a 3rd world country, and seeing as they took away the great control scheme from RE4 Wii Edition, doing this feels like a bully stealing your puppy and then kicking you down the stairs for crying.

Jabbawocky

Sep 3, 2008
Yes well Capcom those game's arn't exactly cheap in all cases and you make a fair bit of profit off the main bloody thing, so is it too much to ask for something free once in a while, or heck even give those that buy the limited edition free multiplayer? I would have understood if basic Resi Evil 5 had to pay but everyone? Plus is a game which is notorious for not letting you move when shooting going to take off on the multi-player stage?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
harhol said:
Resident Evil versus mode...

lol
I was thinking the same thing,

They probably didn't include it because it probably sucks. If it's DLC it won't really be counted against the overall "quality" of the game. Besides, we're getting EXACTLY what I expected out of RE5, who cares about paying for a lame little extra that in no way contributes to the overall Resident Evil Experience.

Now if they made us pay for the "Mercenaries" mode I'd be annoyed.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
It's their product, they can do what they want. You don't like it don't buy it. It's only £3.60 or something.

I think it's quite funny how some people seem to think they're owed stuff beyond the original contents of the box.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
Call of duty
battlefield
rainbow 6
fable 2
halo
left 4 dead
team fortress
star wars battle front
lord of the rings conquest
gears of war
to human
chrome hounds
C&C
N+
tenchu z
HAWX
castle crashers
and a shit ton more

"free" (excluding the xbox live fee) online play and ability, now why the hell capcom should i pay for yours? go ahead i have time sales pitch it to me.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
jebussaves88 said:
It's their product, they can do what they want. You don't like it don't buy it. It's only £3.60 or something.

I think it's quite funny how some people seem to think they're owed stuff beyond the original contents of the box.
You don't get it the contents of the box SHOULD include the damn multiplayer. It's funny how you can just toss 5$ away on something as totally greedy as this bull your the reason why this asinine quest for money actually works

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Wait a fucking second guys.... Read THIS

"Although Versus mode makes use of the assets that exist in the game,

GOD DAMNIT - Capcom making us pay if we want to unlock Costumes for SF4, and to unlock difficulty levels for Megaman 9, and now we need to "unlock" versus and co-op mercs mode.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
jakefongloo said:
jebussaves88 said:

You don't get it the contents of the box SHOULD include the damn multiplayer. It's funny how you can just toss 5$ away on something as totally greedy as this bull your the reason why this asinine quest for money actually works
Whoa, calm it down there newbie. This is the nature of business. Companies see a new way to make money, and they take it. Would you rather these companies didn't bother making the extra content, and released the products without them? Because you can bet Capcom wouldn't have bothered putting on multiplayer otherwise. I'm willing to bet it's something of an afterthought. And yet if people want to play it, they'll pay for it and there's little you can do to stop that. Clearly, a lot of consumers don't care about spending a few points on something fun, so who can blame Capcom? I myself will be downloading the content.

As for this whole Sonic argument, grow the hell up. Tonnes of people still buy these games, clearly because they happen to get a lot of enjoyment out of them. If you shudder at the thought of Sega or any other games company making money, then it's time to find a new hobby.

It's sort of like blaming Kinder Surprise for charging more for putting the shit toy in the middle. Sure it's expensive for what it is, but lot's of people still pay the extra money for it again and again.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
The DLC perplexes me a bit. I guess I really can't see a reason to play an RE game in versus mode to begin with.

Still seems a bit of a 'Dick move' anyway. Could have been worse though, they could have included competitive and sold Co-op.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
It`s not the priceing i`m unhappy about it`s more the fact that capcom seem to have help this back in order to milk it`s deluded fanbase dry that pisses me off