Capcom has confirmed that Ninja Theory will be rebooting Megaman X

SargentToughie

Jun 14, 2008
Megaman X is a series that has suffered from negligence over the last few years. The most recent game in the series was Megaman X8 on the playstation 2, back in 2005. You could say that Capcom's been pretty mean to the ol' blue bomber, but it looks like that's about to turn around. With sales of the upcoming Devil may Cry game looking extremely positive, with many of the core fans being pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the alternate universe/origin story of Dante, Capcom and Ninja theory have already started talking about the next series that the american based company would cover a re-release of.

Since Capcom had been neglecting X for a few years, they figured that if anybody deserved a chance at shedding some light on everybody's favorite Maverick Hunter, it was Ninja Theory. The series reboot, which shall be named MmX, has already been projected for release in the first quarter of 2013.

What's even more exciting though is the fact that details have already started coming out of the woodwork about this game! Ninja Theory has already released a statement about MmX, stating that they want this game to be true to it's roots. According to the head producer for MmX, Tameem Antoniades, he wants this game to stay true to Megaman X's roots, which has always been fighting against the system, and sticking it to 'the man'. In a very bold move, Tameem has gone ahead and said that this would be an origin story for the Megaman X that we all know and love, as Ninja Theory explores what chain of events led him to become the good natured hero that all of us X fans know and love him as.

Of course, along with a more dramatic overtone in the story, which has yet to be exposed, good ol' X himself has received a Ninja Theory overhaul. The PR department over at Ninja Theory released this image of our hero just a few days ago.

Along with his more serious and 'modern' appearance, X's personality has also been altered to fit his younger and more immature version in this game. Why, just in the teaser trailer alone we see him doing things that the old X would never even dream of doing. According to unconfirmed sources, the game begins with X blowing up an entire city just to get rid of a single 'world slave' as this game calls them. World slaves are subject to the authority, the hive mind of political figures that controls over everything with an iron fist. X is one of the only freedom fighters that hasn't conformed yet, and he plans on doing whatever it takes to reject the system in his own way. Also, even more recently, in this new alternate universe (no, it isn't an origin story anymore), X is half machine and half dragon! Just imagine how much this changes!

But if you think that Ninja Theory just slapped a new coat of modern paint on our hero and called it good, oh, you don't know Ninja Theory. The entire gaming engine has been almost completely revamped, and the FPS counter has been confirmed to be locked at a blazing 5 frames per second. This lock has been justified by the developers as a way for the gamers to fully appreciate each and every action that our rogue hero undertakes, and it gives you much more time then ever before to plan out your next move accordingly, making it a much more strategic experience. To aid with this new strategic mindset, Ninja Theory has added an overheating mechanic on X's arm cannon. After having played the previous X games, they became worried about people just running and gunning, without being required to use their environments or their other skills to survive each and every level. I, for one, am glad for the change. The Megaman X series has always had an issue where you could just hold down right and mash the shoot button to win at everything.

Now, I know some of you are going to find this to be absolutely outrageous, but some of the so called 'fans' of the original X series actually don't like these changes, I know, right!? Well, Ninja Theory did the right thing and completely ignored those lousy nay-sayers. They even had the balls to disable the comments on their release videos, just to stick it harder to those pessimists who dared to disagree that this will be the best rendition of Megaman X that the world has ever seen. Just to shove more sand in the eye of those heretics, Tameem himself was having an interview with the fans, and these negative-nancies were trying to get his attention by asking questions that would discredit the game. Thankfully, our man in ninja town did the sensible thing and just looked the other way. They'll come around to buy the game anyway, they ARE addicts to anything with any kind of connection to Capcom and/or Megaman, after all.

As I said before, MmX is poised for release in the first quarter of 2013, and Capcom is expecting 2 billion units to be sold when all is said and done.

This is the beginning of something beautiful, I can already tell. Tell me, fellow members of the escapist, what do you think of this reboot/origin story/ alternate universe remake that Megaman X will be getting.

Oh, and if you say the game is going to be awful then you're wrong and nobody is going to listen to you.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
For a second, my hopes kinda went up there... then I opened the spoiler and the last little bit of soul I had left, clinging to hope that maybe Megaman could be rebooted, died. I am now a husk of a man, and tomorrow I will quit my job and join the many beggers on the streets looking for spare change...

Change?? Do you have any spare change?

*wonders off*

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
Ahhhhhh, I fell for it. I couldn't help but lol at the spoiler though. I bet you anything he'd do it. I'm amazed the guy gets through doors with an ego that big.

Salomega

Nov 15, 2011
Jiggle Physics and Daddy issues for all. Seriously though, I don't buy ninja theory games simply because I don't honestly enjoy them and after the horror story that Metroid turned into I don't think I'll be inclined to buy anything from them anytime soon. That is all.

odBilal

Feb 7, 2009
Salomega said:
Jiggle Physics and Daddy issues for all. Seriously though, I don't buy ninja theory games simply because I don't honestly enjoy them and after the horror story that Metroid turned into I don't think I'll be inclined to buy anything from them anytime soon. That is all.
Thats TEAM Ninja not Ninja THEORY. Ninja Theory made Heavenly Sword and the New DmC.

Salomega

Nov 15, 2011
uh oh, my sincere apologies, apparently my brain just wanted to vent on Team Ninja. Sorry Ninja Theory, you have done nothing wrong...yet.:D

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Salomega said:
uh oh, my sincere apologies, apparently my brain just wanted to vent on Team Ninja. Sorry Ninja Theory, you have done nothing wrong...yet.:D
The more hardcore of the DMC crowd may disagree there! :)

This... does not bode well for DMC5. Ninja Theory, you had better not disappoint me.

Salomega

Nov 15, 2011
My roommate is in hysterics about what they did with Dante, the black haired emo-kid version. Thankfully, his rage has been cooled by Skyrim, but I did say "yet" so we shall see.:)

SargentToughie

Jun 14, 2008
Pearwood said:
Salomega said:

This... does not bode well for DMC5. Ninja Theory, you had better not disappoint me.
Ready for a funny story? Just about every single thing I brought up in my joker article is something that Ninja Theory has done with the new DmC

-Botched Protagonist
-Completely unloyal to source material
-overheating guns
-Frames per second locked at 30 (I said 5, but you get the idea)
-Completely ignoring and insulting the fans of the original source material

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
SargentToughie said:
-overheating guns
WHAT?!

believer258 said:
On a more critical and less personal note, their DMC reboot has been looking better and better since that horrid trailer.
Yeah that's true, it's been looking better the more we've seen of it but I still think the above comment applies.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
So, this thread is a spoof of the Devil May Cry controversy, right?

Or is this legitimate?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
The fans secretly want to like it.

I just hope that if I reject the new DmC hard enough reality will warp upon itself and it will disappear in a hole in the space time continuum and fans will get a real DMC5. By the way did you hear about the tetris game they're making?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
SargentToughie said:
Pearwood said:
Salomega said:

Ready for a funny story? Just about every single thing I brought up in my joker article is something that Ninja Theory has done with the new DmC

-Botched Protagonist
-Completely unloyal to source material
-overheating guns
-Frames per second locked at 30 (I said 5, but you get the idea)
-Completely ignoring and insulting the fans of the original source material
Don't forget to add only 3-4 enemies at a time and dramatic finishers. Though I did hear that they are cutting back on those to stop interrupting the action, but have no source.

SargentToughie

Jun 14, 2008
believer258 said:
Also, almost all console games run at 30FPS. If that bothers you, build yourself a gaming PC.
Actually, Devil May Cry has never run at 30FPS before, so this is seriously looking like more of a God of war then a Devil May Cry. Don't get me wrong, I love god of war, love it to death, but Devil May Cry has always been MUCH faster and smoother, whereas God of War has been more slow and deliberate

Pearwood said:
SargentToughie said:
-overheating guns
WHAT?!
yes, you did hear me right. Dante's guns overheat so that people can't go through the game playing it like a 3rd person shooter, which is something that everybody did in the original games.

Revenent

Nov 5, 2008
believer258 said:
God of War actually runs at 60FPS as well. The PS2 version ran at a variable 60FPS, meaning that there were times where it dropped below that (note that it never dropped below 30, or even 40). The PS3 version was locked at 60.

That's a grand total of two exceptions, and I can name a third. The rest are stuck at 30 as far as I know.
Yeah, but when one of those actually is Devil May Cry, it's pretty inexcusable to have to lower the framerate permanently when the technology should be advancing, not regressing.

He's right, though, at least from what that trailer you put up shows. Thanks to the lower framerate, the combat has to be more sluggish, which was a design decision on God of War's part, not just a technical limitation. Devil May Cry is supposed to be the king of hack-'n-slash, though, so it's a bit insulting to present us with something like looks a $30 knockoff and tell us it's an improvement on what we had before.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Pearwood said:
SargentToughie said:
-overheating guns
WHAT?!

believer258 said:
On a more critical and less personal note, their DMC reboot has been looking better and better since that horrid trailer.
Yeah that's true, it's been looking better the more we've seen of it but I still think the above comment applies.
In the most recently released game footage, you can tell that they reworked the fake-dante's face and hair to look slightly less like the lead developer. I guess everyone called him on making the game into a self-insert fanfic. It looks better, slightly, but I've played Heavenly Sword and it was the worst game in that genre I've ever played.. worse than Dante's Inferno. This guy doesn't seem like the type to learn from mistakes, rather the type to sit their and ***** that everyone else "didn't get it."

Also.. over heating guns....what... the... hell?

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
haha.. I feel for it.. I was actually pretty excited for a new MmX game.. your "spoiler" totally got me though lol.. well played sir.. well played