Capcom is Disappointed With Resident Evil 6

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Capcom is Disappointed With Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil 6 fails to meet sales goals, while Dragon's Dogma beats projections.

Generally speaking, Resident Evil 6 didn't impress many people. Reviews were luke warm at best, and most who played the game have offered little more than a "meh" in regards to its quality. If you're one of those people, you make take some comfort in the fact that Capcom is pretty disappointed with the game as well, or at least in the amount of money it brought in. According to recent data released by the company, Resident Evil 6 recorded 4.8 million sales, and Capcom isn't very happy about it.

"In the Digital Contents business, which constitutes our core competence, the flagship title 'Resident Evil ' (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360), despite recording brisk sales when it debuted, subsequently lost its momentum, resulting in the failure to achieve planned sales and fulfill its role as a driver of sales expansion," reads the official statement. The company expects total sales of Resident Evil 6 to top out at 5 million.

On the flip side, Dragon's Dogma performed above the company's projections, with the brand new IP drawing an impressive 1.3 million sales. Capcom notes that the game "enjoyed popularity exceeding expectations in the more profitable domestic market, becoming a million-seller unprecedented among recent new brand games developed and published by the company."

Source: Capcom [http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e130204b.html]

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Grand, I was a big fan of Dragon's Dogma. Looking forward to the upcoming expansion, and I can only hope it's success in the eyes of Capcom will get us a sequel.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Release Dragon Dogma on PC or Wii U and I'll buy it, Capcom. Release your games on PC simultaneously with console launches and I would've had RE6 before the bad press could've talked me out of it too.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Jumwa said:
Release Dragon Dogma on PC or Wii U and I'll buy it, Capcom. Release your games on PC simultaneously with console launches and I would've had RE6 before the bad press could've talked me out of it too.
I'd love it on the PC. This was about to be my exact comment. Dragon's Dogma screams "fun times" to me, but I don't have a console anymore.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Sparrow said:
Grand, I was a big fan of Dragon's Dogma. Looking forward to the upcoming expansion, and I can only hope it's success in the eyes of Capcom will get us a sequel.
We already have its expansion arriving in April.

Id give the proper sequel a couple of years, to let the rest of the 8th console generation come to fruition.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
I'd love it on the PC. This was about to be my exact comment. Dragon's Dogma screams "fun times" to me, but I don't have a console anymore.
Since PC sales are making up more and more of Capcom's bottom line, it'd be nice if they started treating it a bit more seriously. No more GFWL and simultaneous PC releases would be a start, for sure.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
Re4 the greatest Resident evil. Re5 made me want to cough up blood... Re6 I don't even fucking care.

That's my thought pattern anyways

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I don't get it. It is one of the most successful Capcom games ever but it is surpassed by a game that barely broke 1 million? How does that work? What about that ten million prediction?

Was Capcom expecting CoD numbers or something?

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Coming from someone who actually likes RE6...

Capcom, it's about time you start treating one of your most important franchises with some respect and dignity.

As we can see from Dragon's Dogma, you obviously have it in you to still make good games. I think entirety of the disappointment surrounding Resident Evil 6 comes from the decision to make it an action game. Nobody wants that shit.

If you're going to pour as much production and money as you did with RE6, you can at least base it off a GOOD decision for the game's direction.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Baron von Blitztank said:
They finally admit that their game is shit, NOW HAMMER THE BUTTONS AND WIGGLE THE STICKS!
They admitted no such thing. They said that they were disappointed in the sales.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
bafrali said:
I don't get it. It is one of the most successful Capcom games ever but it is surpassed by a game that barely broke 1 million? How does that work? What about that ten million prediction?

Was Capcom expecting CoD numbers or something?
Actually, yes. They specifically said they made it that way because they wanted to draw in the CoD crowd.

And then they'll cancel AA5's localization cause RE6 hurt their ego or some bullshit excuse.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Capcom, the sales on RE6 are the last thing you should be disappointed and ashamed of. The game itself would be the first thing.

K84

Feb 15, 2010
Except for the Chris chapter, Resi6 was more enjoyable than 5.
I had fun with it.

And Capcom should not be disappointed with their sales.
They should be glad people still buy games with "Capcom" on it.

A Capcom logo on the box is no seal of quality these days.
It used to be though.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Well, Res 6 was utter shit so hey capcom, maybe that might just slightly be connected with poor sales, do yah think?

If they release another piece of toxic sludge like that i sure wont be buying it, i'm pissed off enough that i wasted £40 on that rubbish

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Dragons dogma did that good did it? Man, i should go pick that up...its been getting so much praise and i just skipped over it...Ok. Its decided. off to gamestop!