Capcom Looking to Revive Series that Have Been Quiet of Late

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Capcom Looking to Revive Series that Have Been Quiet of Late

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1365/1365753.jpgIf you're a Capcom fan, the company has some news that might get your attention.

Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite has been announced, but Capcom isn't done yet. In the press release [http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e161205b.html] announcing the late 2017 launch of the newest MvC, the company mentions that it's been five years since that series had a new game. It goes on to announce that this is just the beginning for Capcom IPs that have laid dormant for a while.

Apparently, Capcom plans to add to their normal release schedule of what they call "major title." According to the press release, "Capcom is currently focused on reviving series that have not had new entries recently, or otherwise dormant IP."

Obviously, there are plenty of games in Capcom's back catalog that gamers would love to see make a comeback. Just off the top of my head, I could think of Dino Crisis, Onimusha, Ghosts and Goblins, and Viewtiful Joe, just to name a few. Most notably, I'd like to see a completely new from the ground up version of Mega Man. Let's make it happen, Capcom.

If there's a Capcom game that you'd like to see make a comeback, let us know what it is in the forums!

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Even if it's just an HD remake I'd say the original Steel Battalion for The Original Xbox.
Unfortunately that would also mean a Steel Battalion Controller which I doubt Capcom will ever do again.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Does anyone remember Deep Down? That tech demo game unveiled waaaay back when the PS4 was revealed and sank into development hell?

Theres also Dragons Dogma (and no i dont count the MMO) Darkstalkers, Bionic Commando, Okami... think thats pretty much it.

Well i suppose theres Asuras Wrath too. But nobody in thier right mind would try to bring back anything that bombed that hard.

But until any of this sentiment is actually realised, look forward to yearly installments of Monster Hunter, and incremental updates of Street Fighter and presumably Marvel vs Capcom.

Though as to Megaman, i have to wonder how much better Capcom would do than Mighty No. 9.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
ffronw said:
Most notably, I'd like to see a completely new from the ground up version of Mega Man. Let's make it happen, Capcom.
Com,pletely new from the ground up ... well, that's just slightly less work than it would take to create a new IP. Let's also be honest. You and every other fanbeing, would piss and moan if they deviated more trhan an inch from the standard formula. WHille I wouldn't mind more compilations being done for PC like MMclassics on steam. a completely new maegaman. At this point the most they can do is release a level editor.

As for what they should bring back. I think it's worth a look at their old arcade franchises. the CPS-1 and CPS-2 and yes even the CPS-3 games. Those were some great games.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Ooooooooh Snap! Product Number 3 sequel!
Don't give me that look, at least 2 of you know what I'm talking about and one of you would be on board.

I'd like to see Dino Crisis come back as a survival horror. It was cathartic playing as paramilitary bad-asses in the second and playing as a gate-keeper in the first but I'd like to play as a random Joe-Schmoe in the heart of the good ol' US-of-A during the inevitable Dinosaur Apocalypse.

It would be really, really neat if Capcom and Nintendo struck another Gamecube-esq deal whereby Cap produces X number of exclusive Switch games. Obviously they would be timed exclusives because Capcom is Capcom but this was the deal that spawned Viewtiful Joe and Resident Evil 4...and Zero...and the Resi-one remake that was so good it wasn't HD-ified until this past year.

Other than that I'd like to see Mega Man 9 and 10 added to a definitive Mega Man collection. The 3DS (and other consoles I guess) collection was alright but bafflingly light on content: 1-6 is all well and good but 7 was a gem and 8 was...remembered. Ideally I'd like to see these games given a graphical update like what happened with Wily Wars back on the Genesis in the EU.

gigastar said:
Well i suppose theres Asuras Wrath too. But nobody in thier right mind would try to bring back anything that bombed that hard.
I'd be happy (and a bunch of other people I'm sure) if Capcom would just release a complete edition of Asura's Wrath. You can't just cut off the ending and sell it as DLC down the line and not expect to piss people off.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
gigastar said:
I'd be happy (and a bunch of other people I'm sure) if Capcom would just release a complete edition of Asura's Wrath. You can't just cut off the ending and sell it as DLC down the line and not expect to piss people off.
True, but the game bombed long before anyone knew about the DLC chapters.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
God Hand...
I'll say it every opportunity i get, at the very least Gene should be in MVCI.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Heck, just an Onimusha 1 and 2 remaster I'd by hyped for. Though that'd probably mean they'd have to pay royalties to the actors whose faces they used in the game. This is probably why they never even released the stadard PS2 versions on PSN.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
MonsterCrit said:
ffronw said:
Most notably, I'd like to see a completely new from the ground up version of Mega Man. Let's make it happen, Capcom.
Com,pletely new from the ground up ... well, that's just slightly less work than it would take to create a new IP. Let's also be honest. You and every other fanbeing, would piss and moan if they deviated more trhan an inch from the standard formula. WHille I wouldn't mind more compilations being done for PC like MMclassics on steam. a completely new maegaman. At this point the most they can do is release a level editor.

As for what they should bring back. I think it's worth a look at their old arcade franchises. the CPS-1 and CPS-2 and yes even the CPS-3 games. Those were some great games.
I wouldn't care how much they change. The old formula is done, and they need something new to make Mega Man matter again.

Although a level editor might be cool, too.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Can we get some fucking megaman in here please?

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
ffronw said:
MonsterCrit said:
ffronw said:

I wouldn't care how much they change. The old formula is done, and they need something new to make Mega Man matter again.

Although a level editor might be cool, too.
In which case you'd just be stamping Megaman iconography on something that isn'tr Megaman related. It's like if you reskined Ace Attourney with megaman Sprites
. If the series is done. It's done. We've seen how this plays out with movie franchises where in their desperate quest to ressurect something they slap the iconography over something that does not fit and the result just winds up disappointing fans and new commers alike.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Megaman Legends 3 Capcom. Release that, make sure it's good, and I'll take back everything I ever said against you.

Either that, or Maverick Hunter X 2. Preferably with another Vile mode. Dude brought a LOT more to the game.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
MonsterCrit said:
ffronw said:

Ya know, Mega Man Legends was vastly different from the classic and X titles, but was still vastly popular with the Mega Man fanbase. A new Mega Man game could easily play like Warframe or a similar fast-paced third-person shooter. As long as the themes and characters are in place, Mega Man can pretty much be whatever Capcom needs it to be, considering the series has come in a lot of different flavors over the years.

I'd love to see more Mega Man in the future, but I'd just as soon see Devil May Cry be revived.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Breath of Fire when Capcom?

And no I don't mean the weird Facebook/App game you are making/have made

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Why has no one mentioned Breath of Fire yet? Is transforming into a dragon not good enough for anyone here? I want a new Breath of Fire game. Something around the likes of Breath of Fire 3 again would be nice.
ffronw said:
yo snippity
[HEADING=1]TELL ME, FFRONW! WHY IS BREATH OF FIRE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ANYONE?![/HEADING]
*runs away to find a Snickers bar*

EDIT:
MerlinCross said:
Breath of Fire when Capcom?

And no I don't mean the weird Facebook/App game you are making/have made
You goddamn three minute ninja, you >.>

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Why has no one mentioned Breath of Fire yet? Is transforming into a dragon not good enough for anyone here? I want a new Breath of Fire game. Something around the likes of Breath of Fire 3 again would be nice.
ffronw said:
yo snippity
[HEADING=1]TELL ME, FFRONW! WHY IS BREATH OF FIRE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ANYONE?![/HEADING]
*runs away to find a Snickers bar*
Not gonna lie, I totally forgot Breath of Fire.