Capcom Looking to Revive Series that Have Been Quiet of Late

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Sheo_Dagana said:
MonsterCrit said:
ffronw said:
Most notably, I'd like to see a completely new from the ground up version of Mega Man. Let's make it happen, Capcom.
Com,pletely new from the ground up ... well, that's just slightly less work than it would take to create a new IP. Let's also be honest. You and every other fanbeing, would piss and moan if they deviated more trhan an inch from the standard formula. WHille I wouldn't mind more compilations being done for PC like MMclassics on steam. a completely new maegaman. At this point the most they can do is release a level editor.

As for what they should bring back. I think it's worth a look at their old arcade franchises. the CPS-1 and CPS-2 and yes even the CPS-3 games. Those were some great games.
Ya know, Mega Man Legends was vastly different from the classic and X titles, but was still vastly popular with the Mega Man fanbase.
Was it really that popular. or is it just one that everyone talks about. There is popular in discussion and popular in sales. Me things Legends was the former to the latter. if it was populaqr sales wise It would not have stopped after only 3 titles. I is officially the shortest Megaman Series out there. Even Starforce had more iterations.

A new Mega Man game could easily play like Warframe or a similar fast-paced third-person shooter. As long as the themes and characters are in place, Mega Man can pretty much be whatever Capcom needs it to be, considering the series has come in a lot of different flavors over the years.
So A warframe witha Megaman Skin. Just saying if all you're going to do is Reskin something else with Megaman colours.. you might as well ttry building a new franchise.

I'd love to see more Mega Man in the future, but I'd just as soon see Devil May Cry be revived.[/quote]

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
ffronw said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Why has no one mentioned Breath of Fire yet? Is transforming into a dragon not good enough for anyone here? I want a new Breath of Fire game. Something around the likes of Breath of Fire 3 again would be nice.
ffronw said:
yo snippity
[HEADING=1]TELL ME, FFRONW! WHY IS BREATH OF FIRE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ANYONE?![/HEADING]
*runs away to find a Snickers bar*
Not gonna lie, I totally forgot Breath of Fire.
Ditto.. but after the last BoF game.. it's kinda understandable. Seriousl, though. Series was great up to part 4.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I want another Capcom 5, the 4 games that released were what launched Shinji Mikami into the world, I want to see someone new to take the wheel if this big of a project ever gets greenlit.

Besides that: A new Ghost Trick, Okami, Dino Crisis, Zack and Wiki, Mega Man (and none of that spin-off shovelware that comes with it), a new Devil May Cry with the old Dante from Devil May Cry and that's all I can remember.

Shoggoth2588 said:
Soooooo... P.N. 04?

ffronw said:
They already tried modernizing Mega Man, many times:
Rockman online: 2D action in a MMO setting (cancelled)
Mega Man Universe: A Mario Maker-style level editor (cancelled)
Maverick Hunter: An attempt to bring the franchise to 3D, Metroid Prime-style. (cancelled)

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Breath of Fire. More love for Phoenix Wright(why didn't we get that prequel again?). Mega Man. Work with Disney again to bring out a remastered Goof Troop for the SNES for PS4/XB1/PC. And Demons Crest.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
This is why I can't bring myself to hate Capcom like everyone else did back then. For every blunder like with Resident Evil 6, DmC:DevilMayCry, and the DLC troubles they have, They then release stuff like Marvel Vs Capcom 3(Shut up I liked the game), Ducktales Remastered, and the recent Strider. It's also why I saw coming the absolute hate people now have for Konami since they have no such thing to fall back on like Capcom does since they pissed away both Contra, Castlevania, and the rest of their classic franchises over the years.

So anyways, They should start with Megaman just so people can finally shut up about they killed him these days. But personally for me however, I want Dino Crisis to come back. Mainly because dinosaurs used to scare me as a kid due to this series, the Jurassic Park films, and even to a certain extent, Disney's Dinosaur. Like This [https://youtu.be/MNw58nU-p1Q?t=1m23s] scene used to freak me out as a kid.

Like I'm imagining a Dino Crisis reboot where you're an armed soldier with a good amount of weapons on hand, but it won't mean as much when you're dealing with Velociraptors who are fast, deadly, and sometimes know how to sneak up on you or even trick you if you're not careful and not aware of your environment, which will lead to a death screen of a raptor or more tearing you to shreds as as your player character is screaming for what little life he/she has left. That there is my kind of horror!

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
MerlinCross said:
Breath of Fire when Capcom?

And no I don't mean the weird Facebook/App game you are making/have made
Id pay good money for that! I also want to see a Knights of the Round remake (think King Arthur legend meets final fight meets anime), Strider and Final Fight. Captain Commando has to be my favourite scrolling beatem up of the era though. The charecters were great! A knife wielding mummy, a baby in a mech, a ninja and of course, Cap!

Id also like a hardcore side scrolling bionic commando.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
On the one hand, Okami.

On the other, lacking Clover and likely not being able to get Platinum on it, I can't see Capcom doing anything good with Okami.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
MonsterCrit said:
ffronw said:
MonsterCrit said:
ffronw said:
Most notably, I'd like to see a completely new from the ground up version of Mega Man. Let's make it happen, Capcom.
Com,pletely new from the ground up ... well, that's just slightly less work than it would take to create a new IP. Let's also be honest. You and every other fanbeing, would piss and moan if they deviated more trhan an inch from the standard formula. WHille I wouldn't mind more compilations being done for PC like MMclassics on steam. a completely new maegaman. At this point the most they can do is release a level editor.

As for what they should bring back. I think it's worth a look at their old arcade franchises. the CPS-1 and CPS-2 and yes even the CPS-3 games. Those were some great games.
I wouldn't care how much they change. The old formula is done, and they need something new to make Mega Man matter again.

Although a level editor might be cool, too.
In which case you'd just be stamping Megaman iconography on something that isn'tr Megaman related. It's like if you reskined Ace Attourney with megaman Sprites
. If the series is done. It's done. We've seen how this plays out with movie franchises where in their desperate quest to ressurect something they slap the iconography over something that does not fit and the result just winds up disappointing fans and new commers alike.
You could say the the same thing about Metroid Prime or Ocarina of Time. I'd love to see Megaman transition into 3d game design properly.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, went to the Capcom article on Wikipedia, and found that the only Capcom franchises I can claim any level of familiarity with are Street Fighter, Dino Crisis, and Resident Evil, and that Resident Evil is the only one of those three that I can claim any level of familiarity with bar saying "I played one of their games once."

So...is this the point where I say I'm "culturally deprived?"

But hey, revivals of fallow series, can't complain I guess.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
HENSHIN A GO-GO, BABY!

Please Capcom, I NEED more Viewtiful Joe in my life. At least give us Viewtiful Joe 3 with some proper closure for the main story. Surely that isn't too much to ask?

crypticracer

Sep 1, 2014
gigastar said:
Does anyone remember Deep Down? That tech demo game unveiled waaaay back when the PS4 was revealed and sank into development hell?

Theres also Dragons Dogma (and no i dont count the MMO) Darkstalkers, Bionic Commando, Okami... think thats pretty much it.

Well i suppose theres Asuras Wrath too. But nobody in thier right mind would try to bring back anything that bombed that hard.

But until any of this sentiment is actually realised, look forward to yearly installments of Monster Hunter, and incremental updates of Street Fighter and presumably Marvel vs Capcom.

Though as to Megaman, i have to wonder how much better Capcom would do than Mighty No. 9.
Yes, Dragon's Dogma 2 or Deep Down please. It almost seems like Deep Down isn't going to happen, they have 2 more years to show me they are still making it, after that, I won't buy that guy they didn't make.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
MonsterCrit said:
Ditto.. but after the last BoF game.. it's kinda understandable. Seriousl, though. Series was great up to part 4.
I really don't get the hate for BoF V. I mean, the graphics were bad (but other than IV, they always were), the plot and characters were mediocre (but they were in the other games, too). The battle system was different (in an awesome way). There weren't enough characters and the game was too linear and the color palate was far too dark, but I thought V was the best of the franchise, with the possible exception of IV. And I say this as someone who's beaten all the games except III, which just felt like a bad version of IV. Different strokes, I guess.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I mean the only one I care about is Megaman.

And they'll either not do it.

Or do it and fuck it up completely.

So ehhhhh, just stick to making Resident Evil not shit again pls capcom.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
What the fuck is up with everyone's boner for Mega Man? Yeah, it was good. In the SNES days. What the hell are they going to do with it now besides do another mobile title? And there's been like, 10 games of it already. 10 GAMES. How many more do we need?

Now, don't get me wrong. The idea of destroying an enemy to take their power is a very cool and solid one, but besides that, I don't see anything that's worth digging up the Mega Man IP again for.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
I'd absolutely love to see another Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest game. Gargoyle's Quest II and Demon's Crest are two of my favorite games on the NES and SNES respectively. Although they'd probably give him a voice and make him a snarky rad-dude and ruin it.

I'd just like to see another good hack and slash action game from Capcom without too much BS thrown in, like Maximo, but it's probably a decade too late for that.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
MonsterCrit said:
Sheo_Dagana said:
MonsterCrit said:
ffronw said:

Ya know, Mega Man Legends was vastly different from the classic and X titles, but was still vastly popular with the Mega Man fanbase.
Was it really that popular. or is it just one that everyone talks about. There is popular in discussion and popular in sales. Me things Legends was the former to the latter. if it was populaqr sales wise It would not have stopped after only 3 titles. I is officially the shortest Megaman Series out there. Even Starforce had more iterations.

A new Mega Man game could easily play like Warframe or a similar fast-paced third-person shooter. As long as the themes and characters are in place, Mega Man can pretty much be whatever Capcom needs it to be, considering the series has come in a lot of different flavors over the years.
So A warframe witha Megaman Skin. Just saying if all you're going to do is Reskin something else with Megaman colours.. you might as well ttry building a new franchise.

I'd love to see more Mega Man in the future, but I'd just as soon see Devil May Cry be revived.
[/quote]

Capcom was trying a lot of new things at the time, and the Battle Network sparked very popular manga and anime series, so it's only Natural Starforce would gain a good number of sequels. Capcom was working for years to get a third Mega Man Legends off the ground, but there were a lot of logistic problems. The series was well-received, critically speaking, but bringing up Starforce doesn't really diminish my point. The point I was making is that Mega Man games have not been limited to 2D platformers, and they could basically make a new Mega Man game anything they feel like.

I only bring up Warframe because of the blended style of melee, shooting, power uses, and fast-paced gameplay... all things the Mega Man games have done in the past. I'm not saying rip it off completely, just use it for inspiration and build upon it with the Mega Man themes. It's not like games don't do that all the time now and they do just fine. Uncharted was just Tomb Raider with a heavier focus on combat... then the Tomb Raider reboot was basically Uncharted with RPG elements. Fallout went from being an isometric, turn-based game to being Elder Scrolls with guns and I hardly think most people new to the Fallout series gave a shit otherwise. Castlevania: SOTN was just Metroid with RPG mechanics and now that's a new genre in and of itself.

You also seem to forget one very important thing; new IPs are incredibly risky and not nearly as easy to produce as you seem to think. If Capcom is saying they want to revive some dormant franchises, why in the hell wouldn't they revitalize Mega Man when it has a sizable fanbase so desperate for a new game that they threw four million dollars at Keiji Inafune in the hopes that they could get something similar? You can nay-say it all you like, but if they really are interested in going through it, we're much more like to see a Mega Man game than Breath of Fire, sorry to say.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
No Killer 7?

Madness.

Utter Madness.

Also Dragon's Dogma, sequel, prequel, remaster, spin-off, don't care, more please?

So Capcom have finally started upsizing?