Capcom Looking to Revive Series that Have Been Quiet of Late

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
The_Great_Galendo said:
MonsterCrit said:
Ditto.. but after the last BoF game.. it's kinda understandable. Seriousl, though. Series was great up to part 4.
I really don't get the hate for BoF V. I mean, the graphics were bad (but other than IV, they always were), the plot and characters were mediocre (but they were in the other games, too). The battle system was different (in an awesome way). There weren't enough characters and the game was too linear and the color palate was far too dark, but I thought V was the best of the franchise, with the possible exception of IV. And I say this as someone who's beaten all the games except III, which just felt like a bad version of IV. Different strokes, I guess.
Keep in mind this also happened around the time when the industry over stateside got the idea that JRPG's weren't popular. You know, like how they did with Survival Horror..
Fox12 said:
You could say the the same thing about Metroid Prime or Ocarina of Time. I'd love to see Megaman transition into 3d game design properly.
Except those two games always appealed to different needs. Zelda and metroid games have always been primarily about the exploration with the combat being secondary.

Megaman has always been about precision platforming and combat. Not everything transitions to 3d well. Just like not every game benefits from a multiplayer mode...

Though now that I think about it. Megaman could be adaptred to the MOBa format pretty easily.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
The_Great_Galendo said:
MonsterCrit said:
Ditto.. but after the last BoF game.. it's kinda understandable. Seriousl, though. Series was great up to part 4.
I really don't get the hate for BoF V. I mean, the graphics were bad (but other than IV, they always were), the plot and characters were mediocre (but they were in the other games, too). The battle system was different (in an awesome way). There weren't enough characters and the game was too linear and the color palate was far too dark, but I thought V was the best of the franchise, with the possible exception of IV. And I say this as someone who's beaten all the games except III, which just felt like a bad version of IV. Different strokes, I guess.
How about that the main selling point of the game and thus series, turning into a dragon, was suddenly a bad thing. The werid save system, the clunky combat that tried too much, the closed in linear feeling the game gives off.

I could keep going and mention it the game that killed the series(sold well, broke the fanbase), but this isn't helping. Capcom for what ever reason killed the series themselves and I'd like to see them dig it back up and give it another shot.

Side note, did you play BoF4 first? That's another game in the series that gets flak

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Great! Bring back Breath of Fire. None of that mobile nonsense though. Put it on the 3DS, easy money right there.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
I'm thinking they'll just do something like another Mega Man game, due to the renewed interest by the Cartoon series. i probably wouldn't mind something like a new Darkstalkers or Power Stone. or maybe they could somehow shoehorn in another Dino Crisis? i mean Resident Evil has slowly evolved into an over the shoulder shooter with ring inventories and whatever instead of staying with the actual horror aspect, i could see Dino Crisis return to some of the older aspects that RE dropped off as it slowly became next generation.

Though Platinum's logo appearing on a list of Nintendo Switch developers interest me. i mean it could just be something as small as a Bayonetta port of some kind. but i think it would be pretty nice if they at least Capcom loaned out the Viewtiful Joe IP to someone who mostly composed of Clover employees. it'd be like being reunited with a child.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
MerlinCross said:
How about that the main selling point of the game and thus series, turning into a dragon, was suddenly a bad thing. The werid save system, the clunky combat that tried too much, the closed in linear feeling the game gives off.
Turning into a dragon was only a bad thing if you didn't want to auto-win whatever fight you were in. But I get what you mean. I personally just used it as an "I have no earthly hope of beating this boss. Dragon time." And I got through the game with something like 15-20% left on my D-gauge, so I didn't have to replay or anything. But I could see how it could be pretty annoying/frustrating if you used dragon form too much.

The save system was admittedly a bit weird until you got used to it and saw the necessity.

I thought the combat was great, though. Didn't find it clunky at all. It's probably my favorite combat system in any RPG ever. I just wish there'd been more characters to use.

Side note, did you play BoF4 first? That's another game in the series that gets flak
Wait, BoF4 gets flak? I thought that one was the best (or maybe second-best, after 5). And no, it's not because it was the first one I played. The order I played them in was actually 1, 2, 5, 4, 3. And I couldn't play more than a few hours of 3, because it felt like such an unpolished version of 4. If I hadn't played 4 before 3, I'm sure I'd probably have liked it. Or maybe if I'd got as far as the dragon transformations, which I heard was maybe the best dragon system. But the beginning was sooo slow.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
According to popular lore, Capcom should just give up games and make only pachinko machines. After all these are such money makers I don't know why anyone do anything else. Megaman Pachinko woohoo!

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Fox12 said:
Can we get some fucking megaman in here please?

As this is playing, cut to the metaphorical cryo-pod Joe is stored in. Then, Sir Arthur. Then, cut to Ryu's from Breath of Fire, clearly, encased in ice, having not been touched in a long time. Capcom Rep: "Sir, with Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite being announced, I'm thinking we bring back some other IPs, some that have not...seen the spotlight in years. We're a joke now, sir. A bad one. This could be our chance at redeeming ourselves, or at least putting ourselves on the path."

Capcom Pres: "...Very well. Open the IPs."

Cut to Megaman's pod, close up to his face, and then...open his eyes.

Capcom Pres:"Let's hope this works."

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
The_Great_Galendo said:
MonsterCrit said:
Plot and characters weren't mediocre in BoF IV. Also, go finish III, it's way more than simply a bad version of IV. (Though IV is the best in my opinion)

-

OT: Bring back Breath of Fire and give me more Dragon's Dogma, and we're golden, Capcom.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Foolery said:
Great! Bring back Breath of Fire. None of that mobile nonsense though. Put it on the 3DS, easy money right there.
Yes please. I really could use another RPG and its been a long time.
[sub][sub]I'm self-aware about the hype machine, doesn't mean I'm not susceptible...[/sub][/sub]

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
OK, I'll just join the chorus for a bit:

Mega Man Legends 3, please. It's been 15 years.

(And maybe Misadventures of Tron Bonne 2 while we're at it?)

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
busterkeatonrules said:
OK, I'll just join the chorus for a bit:

Mega Man Legends 3, please. It's been 15 years.

(And maybe Misadventures of Tron Bonne 2 while we're at it?)
Nothing wrong with a little more of the beautiful Ms. Bonne. =D

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Redlin5 said:
Foolery said:
Yes please. I really could use another RPG and its been a long time.
[sub][sub]I'm self-aware about the hype machine, doesn't mean I'm not susceptible...[/sub][/sub]
Dragon Quest 8 in January! If you're looking for a traditional JRPG fix. I wish they'd also bring DQ Monsters Joker 3 over. Honestly, Capcom isn't the only one sitting on IPs that could sell, if given a chance.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I know everyone is all the rage about Megaman X9 revival but I 'm just like, give me Dino Crisis, Rival Schools, Darkstalkers, Plasma Sword, Power Stone, and Capcom vs SNK