Capcom: Making Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat Not As Easy as It Sounds

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Capcom: Making Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat Not As Easy as It Sounds

Capcom likes having all of Chun Li's limbs in the right places too much to put her in the ring with the Mortal Kombat fighters.

If you want Blanka, Sagat, and Ryu to slug it out with Liu Kang, Sub Zero, and Shang Tsung, then you're not alone. In fact, it's a rather common request but itt's unlikely you'll ever actually see it happen; Capcom's Yoshinori Ono says that that's it's one thing for fans to ask for it, but it's quite another to actually make the game.

Ono said that while plenty of people had asked about a SF/MK crossover, the two properties didn't really align that well. Mortal Kombat universe is known for its over-the-top gore, and by comparison Street Fighter series is positively restrained in its depiction of pugilistic violence, a point had not escaped Ono's notice. "I understand why people want it," he said. "But it's easier said than done. Having Chun Li getting her spine ripped out, or Ryu's head bouncing off the floor ... it doesn't necessarily match."

The sheer level of violence in Mortal Kombat makes it a tricky pairing with a lot of other franchises. Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, for example, ran into problems because the DC characters don't kill people. The game's Teen rating didn't help matters either, which is why it was such a relief for many MK fans when this year's reboot turned the gore up to eleven.

There are plenty of other crossovers Ono would like to see though. He said that the upcoming Street Fighter/Tekken crossover was one that he'd wanted to see for a while, and he dreamed of a DC vs. Marvel game. "[It] would be pretty damned cool if we could ever pull it off," he said. "If I can get the presidents of those two companies in the same room shaking hands, then we could get something started."

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/02/evo-ono-discusses-cole-in-street-fighter-x-tekken-ps-vita-development/]

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
"If I can get the presidents of those two companies in the same room shaking hands, then we could get something started."
Yes...the apocalypse.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
I wholeheartedly support the DC vs. Marvel idea. Wasn't there a comic crossover way back when? So it happening again shouldn't be entirely out of the question, right?

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
meh, if there needs to be a compromise, cut the gore. MK's gore is tasteless anyway

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
dyre said:
meh, if there needs to be a compromise, cut the gore. MK's gore is tasteless anyway
While I don't entirely disagree with you, a Mortal Kombat without gore isn't really a Mortal Kombat at all.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
In fact, it's a rather common request but itt's unlikely you'll ever actually see it happen;
Typo!

Anywho...they already have Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat. Vs Tekken. Vs Final Fantasy. Vs Ronald McDonald. Vs Everything.

M.U.G.E.N. Google it!

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
For MK vs. Street Fighter to happen, they'd each have to corrupt themselves to play on the other's level, and the fan bases of each wouldn't like it.

Moderately related: I can't fucking wait to kick some Tekken ass.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
dfphetteplace said:
dyre said:
Maybe, but you can't deny that is what makes it Mortal Kombat.
MK IS the gore. If you cut gore from MK I'll cut you open and sell your entrails to hobos.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
dyre said:
I just want to present this to you:

THIS is why you shouldn't cut the gore. It's... it's just not mortal kombat.

That's the thing about mortal kombat, it just wouldn't be as good without the gore unfortunately, despite how tasteless it is.

lightsier

Nov 29, 2009
Yeah, their styles completely clash. I mean the last Mortal Kombat had an actual robust story mode, Street Fighter never cares about stories. Mortal Kombat has spectator mode and tournament mode right out the gate and they patch game issues while Street Fighter prefers to release expansions instead of releasing free patches.

Completely different styles here.

I'd like to see Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat with Capcom vs SNK controls. M. Bison and Vega would fit in perfectly. Styker versus Rolento!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Good to hear it's not likely to ever happen. Beyond all the guts and gore there's a more important thing that MK doesn't have in common with SF, and that would be being a solid and respected fighting game.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
We'd all be better off if Mortal Kombat just died.
Seriously. It served its purpose. Now let's just lock it in the cupboard and never speak of it again in anything but mockingly knowing terms.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Fishyash said:
dyre said:
I just want to present this to you:

THIS is why you shouldn't cut the gore. It's... it's just not mortal kombat.

That's the thing about mortal kombat, it just wouldn't be as good without the gore unfortunately, despite how tasteless it is.
Damn, after seeing that...I guess tasteless is better than dull o_O

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be entirely honest I do not see any paticularly good reason why the Street Fighter cast couldn't have their own fatalities and such. There has been a lot of pretty extreme material based around that universe in terms of both sex and violence already (albiet outside of the games) so I don't think it would be a huge thing. Canon-wise pretty much everyone survives the tournaments to begin with.

Simply not giving the game a "T" rating would be a good start.

Otherwise, I'd imagine there hasn't been a DC Vs. Marvel game yet because the comic companies don't want one for whateve reason. For all of the competition it's important to note that both companies have a reputation of not letting that get in the way of working together. We've had TONS of crossovers with the characters from the respective companies,
and major events like that whole "Amalgam Universe" thing. Getting them to work together is hardly earth shattering.

Heck, the whole framework for "DC Vs. Marvel, Marvel VS. DC" kind of works for setting up a fighting game. The game could be theoretically filling in the blanks since most of the fights were short, and there might have been other matchups or whatever. You could also toss the Amalgam characters in as unlockables.

I'm still waiting for a return of some of those Amalgam characters somehow, in some form.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Meh. Sagat would still be OP as all fuck. And dear god, I don't even dare imagine Oni's fatalities.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
To be honest I don't really see certain characters like Ryu or Guile having Fatality moves (they woldn't outright kill anyone although evil characters like Vega or Juri would be perfect).
I'm more opted to see cross over fighter games like Street Fighter Vs Dead or Alive or Street Fighter Vs King of Fighters.