Capcom Promises Resident Evil 6 On-Disc DLC Will be Free

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
I would normally be happy to hear of the addition of a higher difficulty but quite honestly I didn't enjoy the focus on gunfights this time around (among many other things). I don't mind the shift towards action-horror but I really preferred RE5's gradual progression towards gun heavy moments. At least it felt like the majority of gunfights happened in the later chapters, unlike most of RE6.

I think I'll be able to enjoy re-playing Leon and Helena's campaign on both professional and whatever this new difficulty is but the other two I'm less convinced about. Motorcycle chases and tank fights are incredibly lame. Not even Jake and Sherry could make that shit entertaining.

Apr 5, 2008
zombiesinc said:
At least it felt like the majority of gunfights happened in the later chapters, unlike most of RE6.
Haven't played RE6 at all, but dude, later chapters? 1-3 (I believe) at the execution grounds (survive) was probably the most protracted and intense sequence in the game. That I would say, and the last part where there's the military plagas with the two sets of bulk doors.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Feels like Capcom just covering their ass after being found out.

I cant prove that is what happened but it sure as hell feels like it!

zombiesinc

Mar 29, 2010
KingsGambit said:
Haven't played RE6 at all, but dude, later chapters? 1-3 (I believe) at the execution grounds (survive) was probably the most protracted and intense sequence in the game. That I would say, and the last part where there's the military plagas with the two sets of bulk doors.
By gunfights I mean gun vs. gun, not how intense the battles are. Near the end of the campaign you're up against bitches with assault rifles and rocket launchers. In RE6, especially so in Chris's and Jake's campaigns, there are a ton of guns nearly from the get-go.

Apr 5, 2008
zombiesinc said:
In RE6, especially so in Chris's and Jake's campaigns, there are a ton of guns nearly from the get-go.
Broken Butterfly baby! It's the only gun you need :)

How's the gameplay BTW? Graphics? I don't imagine it's a huge graphical improvement over the last title. Apart from the dual campaign thing, does it differ much structurally from RE5? I've heard so little about it truth be told. What are controls/ui like? Any new guns, or usual suspects? How is inventory handled? What kinda New game+ is there (usual carry over weapon upgrades and play any chapter)? Sorry for the Qs but am eager to hear what it's like from a player.

zombiesinc

Mar 29, 2010
KingsGambit said:
How's the gameplay BTW? Graphics? I don't imagine it's a huge graphical improvement over the last title. Apart from the dual campaign thing, does it differ much structurally from RE5? I've heard so little about it truth be told. What are controls/ui like? Any new guns, or usual suspects? How is inventory handled? What kinda New game+ is there (usual carry over weapon upgrades and play any chapter)? Sorry for the Qs but am eager to hear what it's like from a player.
The graphics are disappointing, the limitations of the 360 are starting to show. Not sure how the PS3 version looks but I can't imagine it's substantially better. Honestly, if the PC version is a choice for you, I'd wait. Although RE5 looked pretty damn good on the 360, it looked quite a bit better on the PC, graphically. The facial animations, however, are superb. By far the most noticeable improvement in the game.

It differs a lot from RE5 gameplay and co-op wise. Capcom, for whatever reason, removed so many of the co-op mechanics that worked. I'm sure for those who prefer the single-player won't mind, but it's disappointing for me 'cause the co-op was something I actually enjoyed. The only co-op that remained are the opening of doors or boosting up a broken ladder or across a gap. It's rather disappointing, really. As I said previously, the gameplay is a bit disappointing as well, feeling a lot heavier with the gun vs. gun fights. I haven't played Chris's campaign but I've heard it's the best for boss battles. However, Leon and Helena's boss battles were pretty damn awesome. As for Jake and Sherry's, they're shit. At one point you're fighting against... wait for it... a tank.

Controls are essentially the same, with a few additions, like the cover system. They did make it a bit more action-oriented in regards to the melee combat, which I wasn't too fond of. I prefer RE5 because it was a nice middle-ground between survival and action melee - you stood in place while slashing enemies. In RE6, you can get away with mashing the melee button to kill hordes of zombies, even on Veteran difficulty. The UI is still very similar with some aesthetic changes between campaigns. Well, similar when playing, slightly different when you're in your inventory or the pause menu. I did enjoy the slight changes between campaigns though, made it feel just a little bit more fresh.

As for weapons, mostly usual suspects. I don't think I've used them all yet, but the additions aren't anything amazing. Which brings me to the new skill leveling system. They completely removed the stat leveling for weapons, and replaced it with a list of skills you can unlock and sometimes upgrade. For example, you don't increase the stats of each weapon individually, rather you unlock the skill that improves your weapon damage as a whole, and it has three levels. That's it. Honestly, it's shit. They allow you to equip three skills together, and eventually give you the option of creating up to eight different sets of three skills. You're able to switch the set of skills at any time, but quite frankly, I couldn't be bothered. To make matters worse, it takes a lot of skill points to unlock the upper levels, so it feels like the progress is incredibly slow which made it quite frustrating when you finally finished a chapter after an hour or so.

Annnd that brings me to the chapter select. They seem to have decided against breaking the chapters up and giving you grades per section. Now, you play for at least an hour, often quite a bit longer, and get graded. The problem with this is that if you haven't put aside enough time, you may be forced to quit before you finish a chapter. All this feeds back into the frustration of slow leveling. Two hours before you finish a chapter isn't bad if you've got the time but sometimes you just don't. I suppose it's possible that it won't take as long during second or third playthroughs, what with you getting familiar with the progression, but still something I noticed.

Oh, the inventory system... I could be wrong, but I did Google it and couldn't find a way to trade items. Now, items that are in boxes, chests or that are dropped by enemies are picked up by both players. So, again, they've removed a more co-op oriented mechanic (that of deciding who uses what weapons, and who carries herbs or first aid sprays, etc.) and replaced it with something that just feels stupid. You also pick up the skill points from enemies. So, sometimes you'll pick up a handful and your partner won't. With the larger enemies, it's guaranteed, but with the smaller ones it seems to be completely random - another thing I wasn't fond of. Not having to manage your inventory with your partner or divvy items up, it meant that you could use any weapon you wanted, so long as you had the ammo. The idea sounds good but the problem is that if you're not paying attention you'll often find yourself with a full inventory, and rushing to dispose of an item in favor of something on the ground. Oh yeah, and you can't drop it... no, you dispose of it.

New Game + means that you carry over what unlocks and upgrades you've chosen from your skill list. So, essentially, NG+ is what you're playing after you've finished one campaign. This means that if you go from Chris's campaign to Leon's, you'll still be playing NG+. I don't like the skill system but at least they did this part right. I couldn't imagine having to restart the unlocks with each new campaign. Weapons aren't carried over though and they vary slightly between campaigns. Specific weapons for specific characters, while others are available to both.

Any other questions, I'm happy to answer. :)

Apr 5, 2008
zombiesinc said:
The graphics are disappointing, the limitations of the 360 are starting to show. Not sure how the PS3 version looks but I can't imagine it's substantially better. Honestly, if the PC version is a choice for you, I'd wait. Although RE5 looked pretty damn good on the 360, it looked quite a bit better on the PC, graphically. The facial animations, however, are superb. By far the most noticeable improvement in the game.

It differs a lot from RE5 gameplay and co-op wise. Capcom, for whatever reason, removed so many of the co-op mechanics that worked. I'm sure for those who prefer the single-player won't mind, but it's disappointing for me 'cause the co-op was something I actually enjoyed. The only co-op that remained are the opening of doors or boosting up a broken ladder or across a gap. It's rather disappointing, really. As I said previously, the gameplay is a bit disappointing as well, feeling a lot heavier with the gun vs. gun fights. I haven't played Chris's campaign but I've heard it's the best for boss battles. However, Leon and Helena's boss battles were pretty damn awesome. As for Jake and Sherry's, they're shit. At one point you're fighting against... wait for it... a tank.

Controls are essentially the same, with a few additions, like the cover system. They did make it a bit more action-oriented in regards to the melee combat, which I wasn't too fond of. I prefer RE5 because it was a nice middle-ground between survival and action melee - you stood in place while slashing enemies. In RE6, you can get away with mashing the melee button to kill hordes of zombies, even on Veteran difficulty. The UI is still very similar with some aesthetic changes between campaigns. Well, similar when playing, slightly different when you're in your inventory or the pause menu. I did enjoy the slight changes between campaigns though, made it feel just a little bit more fresh.

As for weapons, mostly usual suspects. I don't think I've used them all yet, but the additions aren't anything amazing. Which brings me to the new skill leveling system. They completely removed the stat leveling for weapons, and replaced it with a list of skills you can unlock and sometimes upgrade. For example, you don't increase the stats of each weapon individually, rather you unlock the skill that improves your weapon damage as a whole, and it has three levels. That's it. Honestly, it's shit. They allow you to equip three skills together, and eventually give you the option of creating up to eight different sets of three skills. You're able to switch the set of skills at any time, but quite frankly, I couldn't be bothered. To make matters worse, it takes a lot of skill points to unlock the upper levels, so it feels like the progress is incredibly slow which made it quite frustrating when you finally finished a chapter after an hour or so.

Annnd that brings me to the chapter select. They seem to have decided against breaking the chapters up and giving you grades per section. Now, you play for at least an hour, often quite a bit longer, and get graded. The problem with this is that if you haven't put aside enough time, you may be forced to quit before you finish a chapter. All this feeds back into the frustration of slow leveling. Two hours before you finish a chapter isn't bad if you've got the time but sometimes you just don't. I suppose it's possible that it won't take as long during second or third playthroughs, what with you getting familiar with the progression, but still something I noticed.

Oh, the inventory system... I could be wrong, but I did Google it and couldn't find a way to trade items. Now, items that are in boxes, chests or that are dropped by enemies are picked up by both players. So, again, they've removed a more co-op oriented mechanic (that of deciding who uses what weapons, and who carries herbs or first aid sprays, etc.) and replaced it with something that just feels stupid. You also pick up the skill points from enemies. So, sometimes you'll pick up a handful and your partner won't. With the larger enemies, it's guaranteed, but with the smaller ones it seems to be completely random - another thing I wasn't fond of. Not having to manage your inventory with your partner or divvy items up, it meant that you could use any weapon you wanted, so long as you had the ammo. The idea sounds good but the problem is that if you're not paying attention you'll often find yourself with a full inventory, and rushing to dispose of an item in favor of something on the ground. Oh yeah, and you can't drop it... no, you dispose of it.

New Game + means that you carry over what unlocks and upgrades you've chosen from your skill list. So, essentially, NG+ is what you're playing after you've finished one campaign. This means that if you go from Chris's campaign to Leon's, you'll still be playing NG+. I don't like the skill system but at least they did this part right. I couldn't imagine having to restart the unlocks with each new campaign. Weapons aren't carried over though and they vary slightly between campaigns. Specific weapons for specific characters, while others are available to both.

Any other questions, I'm happy to answer. :)
Thank you for that, I'm glad I asked. I always prefer to hear from a player because critics never bring up even half the points you did. I'm a little worried about the "cover" system you mentioned, and beyond that it sounds like quite a large deviation from the gameplay established with 4 and tweaked for 5.

The skill system you describe reminds me heavily of Guild Wars and sounds like it's aimed at giving characters well-defined "roles" if such can be the case. Much of the fun I found is in the progression and replayability so it does sound like I'll be in for a system shock. Last questions, and only points you didn't address, if I may.

What is the story like? Is it separate per campaign, or do they weave in and out of each other? Are there no save points (typewriter style) in between chapter endings? What are the peon zombies this time; are the las plagas still? And a brief point...I can't recall being able to drop stuff in 4 or 5, only destroy, use, or in 5, give to partner. I'm looking forward to playing Leon again, though no idea when a PC version will be out. Might get it for 360...much as I hate to admit it, they are well suited to a console anyway (the PC ports are generally quite lazy).

zombiesinc

Mar 29, 2010
KingsGambit said:
The skill system you describe reminds me heavily of Guild Wars and sounds like it's aimed at giving characters well-defined "roles" if such can be the case. Much of the fun I found is in the progression and replayability so it does sound like I'll be in for a system shock. Last questions, and only points you didn't address, if I may.

What is the story like? Is it separate per campaign, or do they weave in and out of each other? Are there no save points (typewriter style) in between chapter endings? What are the peon zombies this time; are the las plagas still? And a brief point...I can't recall being able to drop stuff in 4 or 5, only destroy, use, or in 5, give to partner. I'm looking forward to playing Leon again, though no idea when a PC version will be out. Might get it for 360...much as I hate to admit it, they are well suited to a console anyway (the PC ports are generally quite lazy).
I barely used the cover system, to be honest. I played through both Jake's and Leon's campaigns on veteran and still got away with it. It can be useful when you've got multiple J'avo firing weapons in your general direction. J'avo are what replace the Las Plagas. I believe you see some of the typical shuffling zombies in Leon's campaign, but the main enemy type are J'avo. They mutate and fire weapons, a lot. They kinda got irritating in Jake's campaign, actually.

See, I wish the skill set system encouraged giving characters specific roles to play, and maybe in theory that's what Capcom was aiming for. I just don't think it worked so well in action. Perhaps after a few more playthroughs I'll see the skill sets become useful though.

Each campaign story overlaps at times, and run parallel, but otherwise are separated. There are a few neat moments where you team up with two other characters from a specific campaign to kick some ass, though. As for saving, it's the exact same as RE5 - autosave everywhere. However, I did noticed that you don't necessarily start right where you left off if you do happen to quit partway through a chapter. I was only forced to stop playing before the end of a chapter once and when my friend and I loaded our progress, we were one fight behind. So really, no big deal there. Still, I do miss the typewriter. I understand why they chose to implement an autosave feature, but even so.

I don't think you could drop items in RE5, but you could trade, which made a huge difference. Not being able to trade in RE6 was quite frustrating. You mentioned the idea of having certain characters play certain roles or having specific responsibilities - without the ability to trade, this was a much more difficult task in RE6 than RE5.

The release date for the PC version of RE6 is November (I didn't bother to check for a specific date) so not too far away. I played and completed RE5 on both the 360 and PC. Quite honestly, I preferred the PC version for one reason - the graphics. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a graphics whore, but with RE5 being GFWL and gamepad compatible on the PC, there wasn't a single negative for me to play the PC version. The actual gameplay was identical, the loading times were shorter, the graphics better. I still really enjoyed playing on the 360, it's my platform of choice, but the PC version was also great. The only reason I even suggest the PC over 360 is because you can really see the limitations of the 360 this time around. Not so much when you're in a small room or enclosed area but more so when you're in a big, open space. At times, it looks a little bland even. But, the PC version may not be as polished this time around. If you can wait a few extra weeks, you could see how the PC version looks once it's released and go from there. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be able to make a decision when the time comes.