Capcom Promises to Address the Street Fighter V "Rage Quit" Penalty Issue

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Capcom Promises to Address the Street Fighter V "Rage Quit" Penalty Issue

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/945/945466.jpg

Currently, there's no penalty for quitting a match.

Capcom confirmed in a statement to Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-17-street-fighter-5-does-not-punish-players-who-rage-quit] that it will be addressing an issue where players are not penalized for "ragequits" during Street Fighter V matches. At the moment, leaving mid-match is not seen as either a win or a loss, and even win streaks remain if you quit a match. In the statement, Capcom stated that it will be addressed, although "how" and "when" was not revealed.

"I can confirm that it is something we are going to be addressing to make the gameplay experience one that all fans can enjoy and be rewarded fairly for," a spokesperson said.

Street Fighter V launched on February 16 for PlayStation 4 and PC. Sony recently announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166465-Free-Multiplayer-Weekend-Announced-for-PS4] that PS4 players without a PlayStation Plus subscription can test out the multiplayer on the game - and any other PlayStation 4 title - from Friday, February 19 at 12:01am PT, and will run through Sunday, February 21, at 11:59pm PT.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I just wish the solution gets into account the current state of their network. Being in the receiving end of a rage quit is annoying, but not as annoying as being flagged or banned from playing because the servers keep kicking you out and there is nothing you can do about it.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
How do other competitive fighting games deal with this issue? Can't they tell the difference between a connection loss and a deliberate quit selection?

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
-Dragmire- said:
How do other competitive fighting games deal with this issue? Can't they tell the difference between a connection loss and a deliberate quit selection?
Then people just pull the (ethernet) plug. Looks like a connection loss and they keep rage quitting while protecting their rank.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
I remember in the beta that if you completed ten matches in a row without quitting or DCing, you got bonus fight money (the currency for characters). Maybe bring that back?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
hermes200 said:
I just wish the solution gets into account the current state of their network. Being in the receiving end of a rage quit is annoying, but not as annoying as being flagged or banned from playing because the servers keep kicking you out and there is nothing you can do about it.
kris40k said:
-Dragmire- said:
Then people just pull the (ethernet) plug. Looks like a connection loss and they keep rage quitting while protecting their rank.
More importantly, as Hermes pointed out, the servers drop you and you get in shit. They should be able to at least detect that. Its just an atrocity that hasn't been solved in years.

The bigger issue is the giving of win streak and ranking achievements/trophies for these types of games. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was a mainly online game with no online achievements... so people focused on playing and getting better than trying to manipulate situations to get achievements/trophies.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
FoolKiller said:
More importantly, as Hermes pointed out, the servers drop you and you get in shit. They should be able to at least detect that. Its just an atrocity that hasn't been solved in years.

The bigger issue is the giving of win streak and ranking achievements/trophies for these types of games. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was a mainly online game with no online achievements... so people focused on playing and getting better than trying to manipulate situations to get achievements/trophies.
...these types of games...
While I agree with almost all you wrote, I do have to point out that Fighting games are a different beast than Military FPS's. (Accurate) Ranking is absolutely necessary for a game in the Fighting genre to get major acceptance by the fanbase; asking for it to be removed is like saying professional boxing would be better without that pesky "[Weight-class] Champion of the World" title and ranking fighters to see whose the best.

timenchange11

Sep 27, 2010
The problem is that as it stands now, there is no possible way to detect between someone who rage-quits and someone who has terrible connection from the view point of the game keeping track of wins and losses. And, honestly, I don't know how you would go about tracking it so that those who do rage-quit are penalized without penalizing honest players. They tried this a while back with season 1 of Killer Instinct with the Jail system. Players who continually had DCs where "put into jail" with other players who also had high DCs for a certain time period. However, the people who rage-quit also penalized the players they were playing with. And eventually, everyone ended up in jail, including the likes of Maximillian, a prominent supporter of KI who was obviously not rage-quitting. In the end, double helix took out the jail system as it was not doing what it was intended to do.

Perhaps instead of penalizing the rage-quitters, as that seems impossible at this point, a reward system for good connection for consecutive matches could entice players to play matches out to the end, much like monkeymangler pointed out in an earlier post. What the reward may be at this moment I am unsure, but something that won't interfere with gameplay and is significant enough to warrant people's effort. Coins for the shop perhaps?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
All other fighters that actually penalize ragequitters (that i know of) usually put them into a special matchmaking pool, similar to MOBAs.

And ragequitters tend to have a higher disconnect rate than someone whos internet happened to not feel like playing ball one evening. And i presume that serverside issues are taken into account.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
timenchange11 said:
The problem is that as it stands now, there is no possible way to detect between someone who rage-quits and someone who has terrible connection from the view point of the game keeping track of wins and losses. And, honestly, I don't know how you would go about tracking it so that those who do rage-quit are penalized without penalizing honest players.
If your connection is so horrible that you can't maintain a consistent connection, then I'm sorry, but you deserve to be ranked-in with the rage quitters. Now granted, I can see how the person with a bad connection would like a badge that says "I'm not a poor sport", but at the end of the day a disconnect is a disconnect. I could care less how "honest" the other guy is when the match is brought to an abrupt halt, especially if it's a round that looking to be a win in my favor.

Now, if it's Capcom's servers that are having issues, THAT they damn-well better be able to detect and not penalize.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
If they can tell the difference between shit connections, rage quits, and server issues then fine. The way I see it, the servers were still pretty shit as of this morning. Now is not the time to offer to do anything about this considering the fact that a lot of people are still having connectivity issues (as of this morning).

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
They should have an incentive to stay in a match. Punishing people usually leads to people with awful internet getting screwed because companies think the only genre that needs dedicated servers is the FPS.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
kris40k said:
FoolKiller said:

...these types of games...
While I agree with almost all you wrote, I do have to point out that Fighting games are a different beast than Military FPS's. (Accurate) Ranking is absolutely necessary for a game in the Fighting genre to get major acceptance by the fanbase; asking for it to be removed is like saying professional boxing would be better without that pesky "[Weight-class] Champion of the World" title and ranking fighters to see whose the best.
Oh... sorry. You misunderstood. I don't want the leaderboards and such to get removed. But putting in achievements tied to online things causes achievement hunters to do what is needed to get the achievement. In MK9 you needed 10 wins in a row online. The matchmaking sucked. But there was no penalty for dropping out of the fighter select screen so you just waited till it showed your opponent, and dropped if it wasn't a friend willing to let you win.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
hermes200 said:
I suspect that's why there is no penalty right now...

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
FoolKiller said:
Oh... sorry. You misunderstood. I don't want the leaderboards and such to get removed. But putting in achievements tied to online things causes achievement hunters to do what is needed to get the achievement. In MK9 you needed 10 wins in a row online. The matchmaking sucked. But there was no penalty for dropping out of the fighter select screen so you just waited till it showed your opponent, and dropped if it wasn't a friend willing to let you win.
I gotcha. Yeah, things like streaks just encourage bad behavior like disconnecting or smurfing. Ranking is good for the community, though, I always recommend allowing a causal/non-ranked option for the bottom 95% to play in without getting murdered. Thanks for the clarification.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
I have to question the intelligence of people who buy Street Fighter games like this, when it's absolutely guaranteed that the "complete" edition is months, or a year away. I suspect that those people are also the people companies know they can safely sell a half-finished product to, and use them to beta test.
Because all of the updates are free, all characters can be unlocked with in game currency, and most of the costumes?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
kris40k said:
This is simple, just treat every single game that is left before it finishes as a loss. Quit by choice? Loss. Lose connection, also loss. Yank the ethernet cable, congrats it's a... loss.

Over time it will even out for the people who play a few rounds then leave, the people who sometimes lose connection and so on, they'll all get to good stats.

QQ'ers will end up in negative win rate purgatory.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
monkeymangler said:
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
I have to question the intelligence of people who buy Street Fighter games like this, when it's absolutely guaranteed that the "complete" edition is months, or a year away. I suspect that those people are also the people companies know they can safely sell a half-finished product to, and use them to beta test.
Because all of the updates are free, all characters can be unlocked with in game currency, and most of the costumes?
And you believe that it won't be monetized down the road to the same degree as previous titles? You must have a lot of (unwarranted) faith in Capcom. Lets see who ends up being rewarded in turn.
Yeah, they've been dicks in the past. But nothing they have shown to this point leads me to believe they are going to do that.

I know believing that a company can actually listen to their customers is beyond the scope of this cynical forum, but everything to this point has been exactly what they promised.