Capcom Punishes Street Fighter V Ragequitters With Shaming Player Icon

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Capcom Punishes Street Fighter V Ragequitters With Shaming Player Icon

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/958/958692.png
Players who quit too often in the middle of a Street Fighter V match will be shamed with a player icon denoting their leaver status.

Ragequitting is a big problem in video games. It's especially prominent in team games like League of Legends, where a ragequitter can leave your team at a significant disadvantage, but even in 1v1 games like Street Fighter V, where players will intentionally disconnect from a game to avoid having a loss recorded on their profile, it's still frustrating. In an effort to combat this, an upcoming patch for Capcom's fighter [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226634476&postcount=8914] will shame players who ragequit too often, as well as reward players who never do, by assigning special profile icons.

"Special icons will be displayed on the Fighter Profiles of players who frequently disconnect, as well as those who never do, making it easier for players with the same icon to battle against each other," reads a tutorial message datamined from the patch. Effectively, if you ragequit too much people will start actively avoiding you due to your shaming profile icon.

When Street Fighter V first launched, there was absolutely no penalty for leaving in the middle of a match. This policy was met with some pretty harsh criticism, and it lead to Capcom scrambling to manually punish frequent disconnectors, before eventually implementing a system that locks players out of the matchmaking queue if they DC more than twice in a 24-hour period.

It looks like it's about to take things one step further.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/12/ragequitters-will-soon-be-publicly-shamed-in-street-fighter-v/]

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Anything to shame rage-quitters is a plus in my book.

Hopefully the Icon is of a baby crying but it'll probably be something tasteful and boring. Also, can we get these icons in every multiplayer game ever please?

Feb 26, 2014
Yes! Mark them! Mark the cowards! Let them know the shame they bring upon their families!

Rage quitters should definitely be punished. This is a particularly good punishment for 1v1 games, like SFV. I feel sorry for those who may have a particularly bad connection.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Captain Marvelous said:
Yes! Mark them! Mark the cowards! Let them know the shame they bring upon their families!

Rage quitters should definitely be punished. This is a particularly good punishment for 1v1 games, like SFV. I feel sorry for those who may have a particularly bad connection.
If you have a bad connection, you shouldn't be playing online.

Feb 26, 2014
Paragon Fury said:
Yeah, that's true. A bad connection can ruin any online activity for the person and anyone unlucky enough to play with and/or against them. Still, I can't help but be a little sympathetic toward those that want to play online, but don't have any say in the quality of their internet access.

Sep 24, 2008
Captain Marvelous said:
Paragon Fury said:
Yeah, that's true. A bad connection can ruin any online activity for the person and anyone unlucky enough to play with and/or against them. Still, I can't help but be a little sympathetic toward those that want to play online, but don't have any say in the quality of their internet access.
Building on this, the statement said (by myself included at a time) "Won't people think about people with poor connections" is unfair to those without. To have to slog through unfun and bad matches because you were unlucky to find someone with a poor connection sucks.

It's like saying a game should be stripped down graphically for people who don't have a graphic card stronger than a GTX 560. I do feel for them and I wish they could get a better experience. But I also feel for others who have to suffer because of their connections as well.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Good to see SF is doing what Blazblue has been doing for the last 6 or so years. Extremely late is better than never, barely.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
ObsidianJones said:
Captain Marvelous said:
Paragon Fury said:
Building on this, the statement said (by myself included at a time) "Won't people think about people with poor connections" is unfair to those without. To have to slog through unfun and bad matches because you were unlucky to find someone with a poor connection sucks.

It's like saying a game should be stripped down graphically for people who don't have a graphic card stronger than a GTX 560. I do feel for them and I wish they could get a better experience. But I also feel for others who have to suffer because of their connections as well.
This is all super isolating as an attitude. It's not just about people putting the money into having decent internet, it's also about the dev and publisher supporting enough servers in the right place. "Oh, you've got fibre but we couldn't be bother setting up a server in your country? That's too bad... you could always try passing through the generic European server in Germany, or the generic Pacific server in Australia... j/k lolz fuck off we don't want you!"

There's a reason LPB stands for Low Ping Bastard. It's the stereotypical attitude of the "haves" played up and pandered to as if sacrificing half a community for your lag is a goddamned right.

It's like saying "Well gee, I'm sorry there's all these homeless people starving in my city, but if they could just like, *not* be here over Christmas? They're totally bringing my mood down..."

People on dial-up shouldn't be playing SFV online because they literally haven't got the tool for the job, but there are so many reasons for a disconnect and only a couple of them are the user's fault (shitty rig and shitty modem - and that's about it). Punishing anyone else for daring to impinge on the lag of the lucky ones is elitism at its worst.

Sep 24, 2008
ExileNZ said:
This is all super isolating as an attitude. It's not just about people putting the money into having decent internet, it's also about the dev and publisher supporting enough servers in the right place. "Oh, you've got fibre but we couldn't be bother setting up a server in your country? That's too bad... you could always try passing through the generic European server in Germany, or the generic Pacific server in Australia... j/k lolz fuck off we don't want you!"

There's a reason LPB stands for Low Ping Bastard. It's the stereotypical attitude of the "haves" played up and pandered to as if sacrificing half a community for your lag is a goddamned right.

It's like saying "Well gee, I'm sorry there's all these homeless people starving in my city, but if they could just like, *not* be here over Christmas? They're totally bringing my mood down..."

People on dial-up shouldn't be playing SFV online because they literally haven't got the tool for the job, but there are so many reasons for a disconnect and only a couple of them are the user's fault (shitty rig and shitty modem - and that's about it). Punishing anyone else for daring to impinge on the lag of the lucky ones is elitism at its worst.
That's one way to look at it.

Another is that I, myself, have a shitty connection. And I don't play online games that much. Because it is unfun. Because the attack that I supposed to have dodged because I just darted behind a wall killed me because my bad connection has me somewhere that I'm not.

My bad connection has fighting games moving like molasses. And given the speed which fighting games are supposed to go at, it makes it hair pulling because I'm not getting the experience I want, nor is my unfortunate opponent.

What it's actually saying is that people with poor connections usually know that they have poor connections. And it sucks. Your homeless parallel is disanalogous at best. It serves only to be inflammatory. Because first off, to ignore homeless people regardless of the season is inhuman. Secondly, we're talking about program for entertainment, not for the well being of our fellow man who are in need. These two can not be compared even slightly.

From my view, and once again, speaking as someone with a bad connection, I do put Bad connections up with Cheating and Griefing. Which I do think is a better comparison the homeless one. Because (willfully or not) each of those involves a decision that will directly affect someone else's game play in a negative way. And the argument is the same for each case: "I bought the game, and I'm going to try to get my enjoyment out of it anyway I can. That's my right". It's just in the case for bad connections, it's not willfully trying to make someone upset... but it will regardless.

I agree with you that the developers should have more servers, but I also know logistically it's a numbers game. I happen to freaking love Drum and Bass music. I think I'm the only person in Northern America who still does. I don't compare, rage, and rally that the local stations don't play drum and bass to accommodate me. I understand the market here isn't as big so no one's going to cater to me. Does that mean I laugh at someone in Morroco because Capcom's closest best working server is in... I don't know, Southern France for example? No. It doesn't. It sucks. I get it. In so many levels. But just because I sympathize because I'm in the same position doesn't mean I should ignore the developer's limited amount of server capabilities or ignore how that player's (or my) actions could hamper the enjoyment of the other.

Again, should a person who wants a good game be fined for leaving my game because my connection is ruining his experience? Absolutely not. But because of my selfishness, I'm creating a scenario where it comes to that. I know that connection isn't going to be good. But I try anyway. And if someone is sick of it, they run the risk of being punished for it... And that's Elitism? I beg to differ. It's common courtesy to recuse myself for others.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
ObsidianJones said:
ExileNZ said:
I grew up on dial-up so it shaped my appreciation of online gaming, and for the most part I actually agree with you.
Playing a high-speed game on high lag is simply not fun most of the time and this will drive away most people in that situation, but unless you're on a competitive circuit it shouldn't really be punished, either. Now if your connection is punishingly slow for all involved then yes, it's common courtesy to not inflict that on everyone else, and yes I'll grant that my analogy was always going to be an exaggeration.

That said, the original statement that, and I quote, "If you have a bad connection, you shouldn't be playing online", is still utterly callous and as clear-cut an example you can find of "Those less fortunate than me can fuck right off" elitism. It's childish and simplistic (and quite frankly selfish) and it shouldn't be encouraged.

Sep 24, 2008
ExileNZ said:
I grew up on dial-up so it shaped my appreciation of online gaming, and for the most part I actually agree with you.
Playing a high-speed game on high lag is simply not fun most of the time and this will drive away most people in that situation, but unless you're on a competitive circuit it shouldn't really be punished, either. Now if your connection is punishingly slow for all involved then yes, it's common courtesy to not inflict that on everyone else, and yes I'll grant that my analogy was always going to be an exaggeration.

That said, the original statement that, and I quote, "If you have a bad connection, you shouldn't be playing online", is still utterly callous and as clear-cut an example you can find of "Those less fortunate than me can fuck right off" elitism. It's childish and simplistic (and quite frankly selfish) and it shouldn't be encouraged.
I would agree with you if I was one of the fortunate ones. But I'm not. I'm speaking from the experience. I would tell someone with a bad car that is always breaking down "Hey, you should not take that on that cross country trip even though you really want to". I would tell someone with a bad back "Hey, you shouldn't squat with that 450 lbs you got there". I would tell someone who thinks they can buy the new iPhone they really want off the street from a guy who has them in the back of his car "This is probably not an iPhone and you're probably going to get arrested."

All parties suffer from a bad connection. Having a game ruined because you can't play it well because someone is lagging up the connect sucks. Having the game world around you being unplayable because your own computer and connection can not handle everything that's going on sucks. If it sounds a certain way saying that truth, then I'm sorry for hurt feelings but it does not deny the truth. It's just as selfish to look at the truth and say "I don't care. I want to play and people just have to get used to it." as it is to say "Hey, dude, I won't want to play with you because it's not going to be fun for either of us."

We are going to go back and forth on this, and while I do appreciate your thoughts, I don't see us coming to a conclusion. And we're the only ones posting in this thread for a disagreement so we should probably just end it with your response to what I just said, shake hands, and walk away like gentlemen.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
ObsidianJones said:
ExileNZ said:
MORE SNIP
I would agree with you if I was one of the fortunate ones. But I'm not. I'm speaking from the experience. I would tell someone with a bad car that is always breaking down "Hey, you should not take that on that cross country trip even though you really want to". I would tell someone with a bad back "Hey, you shouldn't squat with that 450 lbs you got there". I would tell someone who thinks they can buy the new iPhone they really want off the street from a guy who has them in the back of his car "This is probably not an iPhone and you're probably going to get arrested."

All parties suffer from a bad connection. Having a game ruined because you can't play it well because someone is lagging up the connect sucks. Having the game world around you being unplayable because your own computer and connection can not handle everything that's going on sucks. If it sounds a certain way saying that truth, then I'm sorry for hurt feelings but it does not deny the truth. It's just as selfish to look at the truth and say "I don't care. I want to play and people just have to get used to it." as it is to say "Hey, dude, I won't want to play with you because it's not going to be fun for either of us."

We are going to go back and forth on this, and while I do appreciate your thoughts, I don't see us coming to a conclusion. And we're the only ones posting in this thread for a disagreement so we should probably just end it with your response to what I just said, shake hands, and walk away like gentlemen.
You're most likely right about that last part, but if I can return one last time to our string of tortured analogies, this feels less like "You shouldn't be benching those 450 pounds on your bad back" and more like "Get out of the gym, fatty, you're ruining the view!".

Having gotten that off my chest, I'm ready to just agree to disagree.

Sep 24, 2008
ExileNZ said:
You're most likely right about that last part, but if I can return one last time to our string of tortured analogies, this feels less like "You shouldn't be benching those 450 pounds on your bad back" and more like "Get out of the gym, fatty, you're ruining the view!".

As long as it's done like gentlemen, even though we didn't reach an agreement, we left with an accord. A victory for all in this modern world.

Happy Holidays to you

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
ObsidianJones said:
ExileNZ said:

As long as it's done like gentlemen, even though we didn't reach an agreement, we left with an accord. A victory for all in this modern world.

Happy Holidays to you
And to you, Sir (or Madam, or anything in between as appropriate).