Capcom Responds to Street Fighter X Tekken DLC Complaints

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Capcom Responds to Street Fighter X Tekken DLC Complaints

Capcom admits that DLC for Street Fighter X Tekken is already on the retail disc but says it's presence is necessary in order to ensure that everyone can play together online.

Certain segments of the internet were none too pleased when Xbox360Achievements.org [http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-11020-Street-Fighter-X-Tekken-DLC-Characters-Already-on-the-Disc--New-DLC-Outfits-Revealed.html] reported that 12 characters intended for future release as DLC for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Street Fighter X Tekken are actually already on the retail game discs. Demanding more money for DLC that isn't really DLC at all but is instead simply content that's been locked out of the game doesn't seem to sit well with people, for some reason.

Following the report, Capcom acknowledged that the content is on the disc but claimed that it was necessary to include it in order to ensure that people who don't buy the extra content can still play online with those who do. "The character information and files were intentionally included on retail versions of the PS3 and Xbox 360 game to save hard drive space and to ensure for a smooth transition when the DLC is available, allowing players who choose not to purchase the content the ability to play against players that did," a Capcom rep told MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/capcom-responds-to-street-fighter-x-tekken-dlc-outcry/092247].

"More specifics regarding pricing, dates and other additional exciting DLC plans for Street Fighter X Tekken will be shared at a later date," the rep said. "As a reminder, the retail version of the game will be the only disc-based version consumers will need to own and all future upgrades will come from post-launch DLC."

That's great as far as it goes, but it completely fails to address the point. People are angry because content that could and, depending on your perspective, should have been included with the game is instead being held back for more money. Even worse, Capcom is intentionally deceiving its customers by pretending, or at least implying, that these characters aren't yet ready for action. Capcom's explanation may be perfectly valid, but in the eyes of many angry Street Fighter fans it's probably also perfectly worthless.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd say it is "perfectly worthless".

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Capcom's explanation may be perfectly valid, but in the eyes of many angry Street Fighter fans it's probably also perfectly worthless.
Depends on the fan. I've seen a fair amount of people on the Capcom-Unity forums call the rest of us "entitled" for thinking we should have access to what's on the disk.

EDIT:

Didn't see "many" in your post at first. Guess that makes this post a bit redundant.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
I wish we could go back to the good old days before all this DLC nonsense. You actually got all of the game you bought and if you wanted more, you just got expansion packs which worked alot better :(

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDD...there goes my pre-order.

Looks like I'll be waiting for this game to drop to around 20USD used till I buy it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Fappy said:
Yeah, I'd say it is "perfectly worthless".
Pretty much, so many companies have gotten away with "on the disc DLC" and made tons of money that there is no concern from the companies over it. The only thing that would make a differance is if people didn't buy the game because of it, but I doubt many of those QQing will actually choose NOT to buy the game, and honstly most of those who will buy and play the game probably won't realize the DLC is on the disc, or at least not until after the fact.

To be honest I do not think your typical casual/mainstream gamer... the crowd attentionally attracted by the gaming industry (and which "coincidently" happen to be easy to exploit) really understands "on the disc DLC" vs. normal DLC. I doubt many pay much attention to the size of files. To them all they know is they pay money, and get something added to the game. If they could be made to understand that the content was cut out and sold to them seperatly for more money, they might be upset, but creating that kind of awareness is a herculean task.

See, simply by being on a game oriented message forum, never mind a site like The Escapist, your on a somewhat differant level from the typical video game consumer. I think this contributes to a lot of the fanboy rage, because in the end even if we were to say unify everyone on the Capcom forums, and everyone on a site like The Escapist to boycott the product, it still wouldn't matter because of the sheer number of mainstream gamers that would buy the title, and render our efforts irrelevent. The companies know this, which is why they feel fairly safe in ignoring fans, since simply by being in a position to address them on an issue your making yourself part of fairly tiny minority.

In my less sane moments I sort of have insights into how the mind of the Unabomber must have worked. Right, wrong, or a little of both doesn't matter when you simply can't even get your message out for people to hear what you have to say to make up their mind. Blow up some people and get your manifesto in The NY Times though and well... people will hear what you have to say. Of course the problem is in the process of doing that it means even people who might have agreed will disregard you because you blew people up... defeating the purpose, but I can understand the anger on a certain level. I would find it darkly amusing though if someone did do something like blow up a few gaming executives, and demand the NY Times print a manifesto complaining about being charged for Street Fighter characters that are on a disc and demanding it be stopped. Simply because it's so ridiculous, it would fit right in with an "Adult Swim" comedy sketch.

I am hoping that some reasonable oppertunity will come about to charge things for the better though.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
DustlessDragoon said:
I wish we could go back to the good old days before all this DLC nonsense. You actually got all of the game you bought and if you wanted more, you just got expansion packs which worked alot better :(
And takes about six months to a year to comes out and costs more due to being a retail item rather then DLC. I like DLC as a general rule of thumb. If I like a game, it expands it for a bit of extra cash. If I don't like it, then it doesn't hurt me to have it out there for others to buy. Now the on-disk DLC, especially types like this that they're keeping such a major part of the game (in this case, a lot more characters in a fighting game) and selling them later seems a bit iffy business wise. But we'll see what happens.

As for the OT, this doesn't address the actually issue causing the anger at all. If anything it just makes it worse. It's not like they don't understand what's pissing people off. They're just making up BS excuses to try to avoid the flak they're getting.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Or the people can just wait for the Ultimate Super Mega Street Fighter Versus Tekken with 20 characters never seen before for the value of 40 dollars.

Does anyone really pre-order anything Capcom without feeling ripped off anymore?

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
DustlessDragoon said:
I think Brood War is a perfect testament to that.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
"Following the report, Capcom acknowledged that the content is on the disc but claimed that it was necessary to include it in order to ensure that people who don't buy the extra content can still play online with those who do."

Or you could have just...let people play it anyway?

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
CleverCover said:
Or the people can just wait for the Ultimate Super Mega Street Fighter Versus Tekken with 20 characters never seen before for the value of 40 dollars.

Does anyone really pre-order anything Capcom without feeling ripped off anymore?
People with severe brain trauma. I remember one defense of buying Pre-Ultimate edition version of MvC was "We got to play it sooner." So for Capcom fans, they don't really pay for games, they pay for the privilege of playing it "first". It's like "Firsting" on comment threads taking to their logical extreme. Oh there's an idea Escapist, add a special membership which bumps your forums posts to the top of the thread instead of the bottom.

With Capcom, your pre-order goes 1 of 2 ways. The first way is the game gets canceled. Any game with Megaman in it is especially susceptible to this. The second way is about 5 minutes after the game is shipped to you, they announce an "Ultimate" edition and tell you about the on-disc DLC.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Isn't this just a way for companies to charge more than a initial $60 price, but indirectly?

Me thinks so.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
At this point, I just don't care. I'm done with people complaining but forgetting to be articulate. The only complaint I have is why they say they're waiting until the Vita version to release these characters since the Vita version won't be released until the fall. My guess is that Sony bought CAPCOM off, so it's probably company politics, as usual.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I think i saw someone say that it could actually be a felony to sell on disc content as DLC.

Not that i give a shit though, i figure we would have to pay for it anyway only main difference being i dont have to wait as long for the download to complete.

Its also worth mentioning i put SFxT on my "not buy" list as soon as i confirmed it uses Street Fighter controls, which im not a fan of without an arcade stick.

EDIT: I found this much better excuse for on-disc DLC on the Capcom-Unity blog.
By including these 12 characters on the disc, the idea was to ensure easy compatability between players who do and do not choose to download the characters when they arrive as DLC. For example, not buying costumes in the Street Fighter IV series means you will not see the costumes when playing another person who did buy them; on-disc characters avoid this issue and allow everyone to participate in the update without additional patches or hiccups.
Make of it what you will, i officially dont care anymore.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Another dick move by Capcom. They're on a roll, huh?

I hate DLC stuff as it is. I would like to pay 60 bucks for a game (which is not an easy feat for me as it is) and be done with it. I know we don't have to buy DLC, but if there's a game you really like, you're gonna want to buy DLC for it sooner or later. You just know it.

And you know what's worse? Watch an Ultimate Street Fighter x Tekken game come out in about a year or less. This time, it will come with all the DLC characters by default! And extra arenas! And stuff fixed from the previous lame version that came out around March!

I'm looking at you, other fighting games by Capcom.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Meh, still want and am getting the game. There are two things about it, however, that I find odd.

First, the timeline doesn't make a lot of sense. We know the Vita version is not supposed to be released until the fall and the locked character are supposed to be released some time after that. No big deal except, from captured videos, it appears that the characters are complete and fully functional now. Holding them back in total just to maybe up the sales of the Vita version seems a strange decision. I could see it if the characters were to be time released as DLC over the next few months.. but holding completed characters as locked for over 6 months is just odd.

Second, if Megaman and Pacman are as PS3 exclusive as they were supposed to be, why are they both fully functional and playable on the 360 version? If I was someone who actually bought the PS3 version just because it was the one with these joke characters included (and I'm sure some did), I'd be more concerned about this than the other characters being on the disc. It makes me wonder if the cats and Cole are on the 360 disc as well.