Capcom Reveals a New RPG

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Capcom Reveals a New RPG

Capcom hasn't diverted all of their attention to fighting and action games. The company's still interested in RPGs too, as evidenced by today's announcement of a new PSP role-player dubbed Last Ranker.

It's not a new Breath of Fire, but we'll take it. Capcom took the wraps off what seems to be one of its first full-fledged RPG projects in some time today with the revelation of Last Ranker in Famitsu. Developed by Image Epoch, Last Ranker has you playing the role of a lad named Zig (yes like from the "all your base are belong to us [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icVy7Ve6y6A]" video) who lives in a society of fighters where getting to the numero uno rank for combatants is the greatest achievement in all of society.

Naturally, Zig wants to get to the top spot, and you'll have to move him there. That'll happen via an action-oriented battle system with real-time elements. No selecting commands from a menu here, since you just press a button tied to an action and that action plays out in real-time. The odd part is that even though attacks and such might be controlled directly, you don't have complete control over how Zig moves during battles.

Not sure how exactly this works out in play, but it does sound unique at least. And barring that, the game does have some heavy hitters on staff that might give it a shot at success. Matsukawa Minae of Phoenix Wright fame will produce, aided by a character designer from Devil May Cry 4 and Breath of Fire, a scenario writer from Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts and others. So yeah, you can expect all sorts of JRPG ridiculousness in the story, I'm guessing.

[Via Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/09/15/capcom-and-imageepoch-link-up-for-a-tournament-fighting-rpg/]]

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Sounds weird, but at least its something different.
But I don't have a PSP.
And I'm not a fan of JRPG's.
I hate not having news apply to me....

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
clericwithnolife31 said:
so its a street fighter rpg with valkyrie profile style controls. interesting
Oh yeah, Valkyrie Profile. That makes sense.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
I want a new Breath of Fire.

This, at least, sounds like it could be interesting though.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
now i need a psp.
mostly because capcom has been a little dry with RPG's and ill take what i can get.

bickster

Jan 16, 2009
Should be good. I have faith here, I enjoyed the entire Breathe of Fire series. But you can say the controls may end up looking alot like BoF Dragon Quarter as opposed to Valkryie Profile, where one button is linked, but you have a series of commands and can change tactis/combos you are doing by selecting various buttons. That is just my thought on it.

tamla

Jul 18, 2008
Good to see Capcom still wants to make classic RPGs. Fingers crossed it will be released outside of Japan...

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
...who lives in a society of fighters where getting to the numero uno rank for combatants is the greatest achievement in all of society.

Naturally, Zig wants to get to the top spot, and you'll have to move him there...
Is anyone else reminded of No More Heroes? Except it's slightly downgraded from assassins to simply fighters?

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
sounds like a quick time fighter.
Like one of those old fmv videogames. Like the old Star Trek Borg game, where you could push "Q" in the face but you didn't really have any control on how you did it.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I've seen this in anime and manga before, I've always been curious why it's so easy to become number one, does no one else try?