Stein Inge said:
dathwampeer said:
Stein Inge said:
Carlston said:
Stein Inge said:
Carlston said:
Stein Inge said:
Xzi said:
But RE5 had black people coming out of straw huts and yelling "OOGA BOOGA!" Like some sort of blatantly racist early cartoons depicting them.
My favorite part was when they started chucking spears....
Which is not racist. It's reality. Man villiages still hunt with spears, live in such conditions ect, and like in the game, the kids notes will dress up like their ancestors to honor them.
And if the spears used in RE5 looked even remotely like the ones used in real life, I wouldn´t think twice...
RE5´s whole depiction of Africa felt like a charicature. Not really racist but in pretty bad taste...
There point is...does it really matter? And the spears used were relics the villagers used in celebration on holidays (see kids journal)

The point is why do they listen to them spew whining bullshit every chance they get and threaten lawsuits they can never win.
It doesn´t matter at all. Its just that when I played through that part of the game I felt like I had stepped out of a fairly decent game and into the early strips of "The Phantom". And if you can show me a genuine african spear that looked like that, you WILL get a cookie!
What did the spears in RE5 look like?

As far as I remember they were pretty generic.
They looked like a 7 foot pole with a baskeball-sized lump of spikes at the end... Great for hunting gazelles!

EDIT: That was just one set of spears, used mainly In the first set of villages (where you have to ride a boat around). The others looked fairly standard. If you were hunting whales...
To be fair. That's more of aesthetical choice than racism.

I mean look at that. I don't think they're trying to tell anyone that executioners use one of those.
Heh... They would if they could!

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
archvile93 said:
Carlston said:
There was no controversy.

The game was set in Africa. Africa has black people...

Not chinese, not japanese, not eskimos....Black people.

Black Americans will cry about anything, christ they tried to say Avatar was about blacks or something stupid like that. You don't listen to them.

The Japanese, outside of being xenophobic themselves. Also tend to poke fun at themselves and different cultures embrace sterotypes as a good thing. Something to be seen as humor and satire.

But they don't care about Black American's whines, slaver and all that....cause well not their problem and its 200 years old...they tend to be more mature and move on with reality.
Actually, I no someone who was born and raised in Japan, and she told me Japanese xenophobia only seems to apply to other asian nationalities,; other races are fine. Maybe they had to rethink their ideas of superiority after WWII, I don't know. Sorry off topic I know.

OT: Yeah RE is definately racist. After all, you'd never find a black person in Africa, and they'd never become kill crazy savages because they were infected by a virus that causes people of every other ethnicity to turn into kill crazy savages /sarcasm.
I'd say it's racist only because they became super zombies. Driving motorcyles, turning into the love child of Shrek and the Hulk.... ninjaing around, shooting guns and missile launchers... Like Blackula a vampire jiving with none of the drawbacks of the undead...

Where is the equality for the white zombies... saying all white zombies are lazy?! WTF!

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Dfskelleton said:
They truly didn't seem to care about having mistaken racism issues about 15 years ago. We all remember the Street Fighter II intro, don't we?
Because 15 years ago when Tyson was still a boxer, there seemed to be a different view... not sure how to describe it...but since the top of the game was a black guy///

Free Thinker

Apr 23, 2010
Now if we had the address of said offended people and someone accidentally put the T-Virus in a letter to said address, I wonder how offended they'd be then?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Carlston said:
I'm just plain strange, and for a spell checker, my bio states why i no longer care.

But i liken it to how black protested linked RE5 with white racism when it was made by the Japanese.
Well everybody is strange in there own way. If someone is by definition normal, compared to everybody else, they are not normal. It is a vicious cycle I rather not get into.

On the whole racist thing, some people just can't see that the game is set in Africa. I would find it strange to have a game set as such and not see a single black person. And if the game is a survival game where the people are going nuts because of something, of course in Africa you would be shooting blacks, though I would find it strange(I haven't played the game so I don't know)if every single crazed person you fight is black, because there are obviously people born in Africa that aren't black.

The whole problem with this whole racist thing is that it is just thrown around way too much. It is like how I have argued on other forums about how the US really needs to get its act together and deal with the illegal problem, I say build a fence(built properly, I don't want to describe it would take too long.) But back to the matter, I make an argument that is well thought out and all I say is "illegals". Then usually I get the response that I am racist and I hate Mexicans. The problem with that is that not once in my argument did I say Mexicans. What they don't understand is the problem and not every illegal that crosses the Mexican border is Mexican. I don't have a problem with the person's race, I have a problem with them coming into the illegally and using up resources and getting funding under government programs that they should not receive because it is the money of the citizens of the US, and if they are illegal, they are of course not citizens.

I don't care what their sob story is, come in the front door as and become a citizen or don't come at all. I got to stop now because I have went off track. I didn't intend to make it political, but it relates to the whole racist label as a problem.

Now I can get back to my Italian blue-raspberry lemon ice before it melts.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Cue the "umbrella corp is run by space aliens; let's kill them" plot twist.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
RE 5 is the Resident Evil Game I don't want to think about.

I'll even acknowledge the stupid rail shooter RE's on the Wii before RE5.

It's just that bad.

That aside? Stop being stupid Capcom. It had nothing to do with the fact that there were black people. It was more the part where you had them running around with giant masks on waving spears at people.

Mr spank

Jan 30, 2010
RE5 was garbage. the worst of the series.

i have a great idea for them to stay away from anymore negative publicity for any future Resident Evil games: BRING BACK THE ZOMBIES!

i miss when RE games had zombies in them...

Kagim

Aug 26, 2009
Hmmm... I appear to be the only one who thought the overall message in the game was "White people fucking over African people and suffocating them into poverty"

Maybe I'm just odd.

As well to the people upset over the sounds the tribes made in combat... I guess the Discovery Channel is full of KKK members and racists staging the most racist documentaries ever. While not lu lu lu lu most battle cries they made were of the same style. Not to mention they hunted with spears and fought with giant wooden sticks.

Now it just seems odd that the solution to not be racist is to just pretend that no other ethnicity exists. Or make them superior to other races.

Would RE5 not have been racist if they depicted Africa as a metropolis of enlightenment beyond any other civilization on earth, where hover car technology was the norm and the streets were paved and clean and everyone were in business suits and speaking fluent English?

Yes some of the city images were brutal, but that shit actually happens. To me that was to show how brutal the situation is in that specific town. It didn't make me think "Wow that must be all of Africa" any more then GTA made me think "Wow that must be all of America"

I have to ask would it have been less racist if they had just changed everyone's skin color to white?

"BUT KAGIM! THAT'S NOT THE POINT!"

Well, answer my question then. Would it have been alright to portray white people in that fashion? yes or no. Would it have been alright if they simply swapped the color and ethnic look of everyone over to white? No PC answers of "Well its wrong no matter the color of peoples skin!" my question is do you think people would have screamed its racist to white people if the shoes were on the other foot?

Do we expect the upcoming movie Machete to be protested and called racist since the main villains are white Americans? Why is it okay to stereotype white Americans in this way?

What about the movie Fanboys? Was it racist towards white people? Its basically one huge stereotype after another. All aimed at geeky white Americans. Why is that not racist? Why is that not protested?

Everyone is laughing at the Italian American groups pissed off about the Mafia 2 game showing Italian Americans as mobsters. Why are they in the wrong?

"Because Kagim! That actually happened!"

Well, the images that the non infected African people are portrayed doing happen. Some of the brutal things are hard to look at but they are real things that have happened and do happen. Not to mention as others have said the T-Virus makes people regress to primitive states, thus what happened when fighting the tribal groups. As much as you might want to scream "RACIST" tribal wars were very brutal and they did wear masks and scream war calls and fight with spears. Hell, they still do, unless once again the Discovery Channel really is a KKK front.

Why are people not decrying the game "The Settlers" by Ubisoft for that matter. I mean i know its an old game but low and behold the DS version still has the native tribes wearing masks and fighting with spears. Why did nobody lose there shit over that game? Its rated E so kids are seeing that.

Finally. To the people calling the south incredibly racist.... Well.. Isn't that Racist? Or at least prejudice? To say everyone is racist in the southern states? Even if there is MORE racism down south is it really fair to stereotype the entire region?

In the end i don't think any race should be treated with kids gloves. Were all part of one race. Human. Our differences and past are all subject to investigation and artistic license.

Yes, if RE5 had Chris walking around calling the African people dirty Niggers and talking about how he wished he could purify the world of black filth, i would understand where your coming from. That is no where near the case however, as Chris is there to help these people.

While some images might be graphic, or violent, the fact remains these sorts of things do happen. While you might think the tribal view of the African people was racist there are still tribes nowadays and they still use spears to hunt and they still shout battle cries that are little more then lu lu lu lu lu. They are not savages, its just how they live.

I mean, look at RE4. Isn't it racist that at a time where people could use advanced firearms Leon was facing people with chainsaws and bags over there heads? Crossbows? Maces? Why is that not considered racist? Are you trying to say Spaniards are so primitive the majority only use pitchforks and rusted knives as weapons? That they are so ass backwards that they murder women by nailing them to a wall using a pitchfork to the face? That they have no idea how to make advanced explosives that they have to use tripwire and dynamite?

If you don't agree with me, that's fine. You have the right to. This is just how i feel. I'm sorry if this offends you.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
You will be a blind, deaf, wheelchair, bound mixed race bad-ass who only kills captain planet like villains from outer space and plant monsters as not to discriminate against race, sex or offend the animal rights groups.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
It is controversy like this that is keeping racism alive! If we want global acceptance of all people on all levels we need to stop catering to the methods of political correctness that maintain the racial tensions while still holding onto the goals that it had set in the first place. By keeping racial slurs vulgur, by maintaining the image of racial distrimination universal reguardless of contex, ie. Being indifferent to dissimilarities of a cop beating on a black person in New York because of their colour compared to shooting down black zombies on a continent that is mainly comprised of, you guessed it black people. We are giving power to the tools of racism. What need be down is accept that racism exists but at the same time be more smart when we approach it. The more controversy we generate the more we keep racial tension alive because it adds that many more toes to step on reguardless of whether we did it on purpose or not.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
God damn, you said everything I tried to say but lightyears better, I tip my hat to you.

YeyJordan

Mar 28, 2010
Lollll all of the people complaining about racism are white anyway. Let's not let political correctness overtake this industry, too. It's already got TV and movies.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Resident Evil 5 is a shitty game. Not a single scary moment in the entire game. But people complaining about killing black people in Africa is retarded. I hope their next RE game is like Resident Evil 4. That was the best RE game IMO.