Capcom Says No to Another Resident Evil 5 Controversy

Apr 28, 2008
Yep. So instead of putting in multiple races and ethnicities they'll make sure there's only one in the game. Because thats less racist, apparently.

Burgertime

Intellivision Collector
Mar 10, 2010
First of all, they didn't yell "OOGA BOOGA" like it's some sort of cartoon. Second, and I know this is a shocker to many people, tribes actually EXIST!

I'll give you a second to Google image search African tribes......you see what shows up? Good. That's real, not racism.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Xzi said:
Aura Guardian said:
Remember folks. It's fine for a white cop(ish) person to kill Spaniards in Spain. But if a White cop kills Africans in Africa, its wrong.
It's not so much that he simply killed black people as it was the way they were portrayed on some levels.

RE4 didn't have Spaniard zombies dancing around sombreros, or sleeping and selling oranges on street corners.

But RE5 had black people coming out of straw huts and yelling "OOGA BOOGA!" Like some sort of blatantly racist early cartoons depicting them.
You act as if there are no African tribes out there. There are still people that live in straw huts and have no electricity. There are still people that hunt with spears and have never even heard of English, let alone speak it.

The entire racist thing was and is a joke. Look at all the games where you kill normal white people. Equal rights goes both ways. Being equal means you're equal on all levels. You're not exempt from being slaughtered in a video game or movie. You can't just be equal on your own terms.

The only reason racism is alive is because people create it out of situations where there previously was none. The people keeping racism alive are the people that claim to oppose it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Run everything by them?

Shit. We're going to have a game where you shoot multicolor amorphous blobs.
\

The League of Rights For Gelatinous Cubes would not be pleased by that development and would probably sue.

ditto9

Apr 27, 2010
Well this is fantastic. The next Resi will now feature grey-like neutral people who cant offend anyone, and the protagonist will be the same and blah blah.
To be honest, if you look at any and all of the RE games, none of them include the native creators - Japanese. The first few games were Americans killing Americans. 4 saw Spaniards, 5 saw Africans.
But wait, people are getting far too anal about a bunch of pixels. Plus these guys weren't even people, they were Zombies.
Wesker's totally British and you dont hear me complaining.
Its like saying The Lion King was racist because it was set in Africa. Pathetic.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
*facepalm*

I don't know how I should comment. Maybe I should send an email to Capcom to stop feeding the trolls.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Next up: Capcom decided to remove all forms of violence from their video games due to anti-gaming groups protesting that there are too much violence in video games.

Did anyone really find the game offensive? I honestly forgot that they were all African zombies 10 minutes into playing...

ditto9

Apr 27, 2010
-Samurai- said:
The only reason racism is alive is because people create it out of situations where there previously was none. The people keeping racism alive are the people that claim to oppose it.
This, you are totally spot on.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
As a speaker of the Zombie Awareness Society.

I find the Resident Evil games incredibly hurtful and offensive to zombies!

They deserve respect!
Obviously they took note of this which is why they changed from zombie to the politically correct B.O.W to avoid slurs.

Xzi said:
RE4 didn't have Spaniard zombies dancing around sombreros, or sleeping and selling oranges on street corners.
If you're going to state a stereotype, get it right, that's mexicans.

Its clearly noted in the game that the people who lived there were all factory workers that reverted as an effect of the plagas. Kind of like how the Spanish ones lived in a castle and used crossbows, maces and catapults instead of modern weapons. In both cases there are infected that go back to older forms of civilization.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Xzi said:
Aura Guardian said:
Remember folks. It's fine for a white cop(ish) person to kill Spaniards in Spain. But if a White cop kills Africans in Africa, its wrong.
It's not so much that he simply killed black people as it was the way they were portrayed on some levels.

But RE5 had black people coming out of straw huts and yelling "OOGA BOOGA!" Like some sort of blatantly racist early cartoons depicting them.

Do I think they intended to be racist, though? No. I'm with Yahtzee on this one, I think they're just idiots. Completely oblivious to the the impact they might have with certain content.
That sounds more...Mexican than Spaniard.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
ditto9 said:
-Samurai- said:
This, you are totally spot on.
On the internet, any uninformed opinion can find support. Like that one.

As much as I dislike self-censorship, maybe some good can come of it. Having the japanese developers gain a bit more insight into western culture can't hurt. I'll admit that's a best case scenario, but it's not like we can influence their decisions.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Is it wrong to shout "racism"? You have to love freedom of speech. Capcom was free to set RE5 in Africa populated with black zombies. People crying racism are free to do so. Big deal. Let anyone say/produce any game they want to, it's their freedom to express themselves how they like.

Did the outcry affect RE5 sales in anyway? Capcom seems to think so. They are a big business driven by market forces, and this move indicates that they thought they lost potential dollars in North America. If Capcom thought they could make more money by removing violence from their games, you bet they would. That is the bottom-line.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I love Yahtzee taking the piss out of their recent remake by saying "...which has by now dropped all pretenses of not being racist by dropping the black character completely!"

C'mon, I know the Japanese studios are just now learning that they'll need to adapt to the western market so as to stay competitive, but caving in to these kinds of shouts is definately not the way to do it. It's about the thing that a youtube Extra Credits episode stated - stand up for what you think is right and graciously deflect these moronic prejudices by staying on course.

But I know that in the end some twat in their organization is thinking "No you see - if ONLY we had avoided the controvesy, RE5 would've sold better!" whereas the real reason for any lack of sales was simply that it sucked compared to RE4. :p

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Xzi said:
-Samurai- said:
Lol that's complete bull. If you think racism is dead, you have never been to the South.
Or XBox Live.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Xzi said:
Aura Guardian said:
Xzi said:
Aura Guardian said:

Do I think they intended to be racist, though? No. I'm with Yahtzee on this one, I think they're just idiots. Completely oblivious to the the impact they might have with certain content.
That sounds more...Mexican than Spaniard.
Yea I know jack about Spanish culture, but my point remains.
That is...wait..someone beat me to it.

Cybylt said:
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
As a speaker of the Zombie Awareness Society.

I find the Resident Evil games incredibly hurtful and offensive to zombies!

They deserve respect!
Obviously they took note of this which is why they changed from zombie to the politically correct B.O.W to avoid slurs.

Xzi said:
If you're going to state a stereotype, get it right, that's mexicans.

Its clearly noted in the game that the people who lived there were all factory workers that reverted as an effect of the plagas. Kind of like how the Spanish ones lived in a castle and used crossbows, maces and catapults instead of modern weapons. In both cases there are infected that go back to older forms of civilization.