Capcom Says No to Another Resident Evil 5 Controversy

Burgertime

Intellivision Collector
Mar 10, 2010
Saying something close to "ooga booga" is not the same thing as "totally saying it". It's BS thought processes like that which get people pulled into the office at work for saying the word "Knickers" because it's too close to the N word.
You're saying that brainwashed/zombie people are seemingly cultured? Jeez....this is why the argument of racism of the game keeps going. Because people don't stop and think to look at the whole pictures. All you see there is civilized Africans? Not the fact that they're trying to attack the main character after being infected?

As for your obvious parallel to put 2 races that had a horrible actual real life event happen to them. Find one where blacks and whites are in a similar situation to use as comparison, because what you're using as an example touches on a lot more things.

I'd hate to think what would happen if any company decided to make a game that took place in the deep south or the inner city. Oh no! Don't put anyone of a darker skin tone or is a different ethnicity as the main character, or it might be considered racist. What are companies to do? Make every character in their game white? That alone would be looked at as being racist.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Electrogecko said:
U know how to make it not racist? Make all the bad guys white of course!!!
They were always right in the previous games. And once they changed it...Shit goes crazy.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Xzi said:
-Samurai- said:
The only reason racism is alive is because people create it out of situations where there previously was none. The people keeping racism alive are the people that claim to oppose it.
Lol that's complete bull. If you think racism is dead, you have never been to the South.
I've actually been to every southern state. I didn't see a single burning cross, KKK member, or person hanging from a tree.

What I did find was some of the best home cooked food I've ever had, and generally polite people.

There's no more racism there than anywhere else.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
*Sigh* we're getting into this one again.
JaymesFogarty said:
I still think the racism thing was ridiculous. No one was complaining when you were exclusively shooting European people. (Perhaps the humanitarians?)
That wasn't the fucking point. The point was that it was depicting a country of people, once often stereotyped as savages, as just that.

I'm going to say exactly what I said in my good man *name soon to follow when I find the thread again*'s thread:

If Resident Evil 5 had the T-Virus, and depicted Africans as shambling, zombie hordes, no one would care.
P.S. I should point out that I never believed Capcom was or is Racist, but bloody stupid and insensitive. I think people made something overly touchy, when it should have just been "perhaps they should have thought this through...".

And what I said above applies to not just him. You know who you are.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I didn't think the game was racist but I could understand why some thought that since some of the enemies were... how you say, erm, "ooga booga".

As for this news, I have no idea which way it could go. Maybe it will or won't impact the creativity. I just hope it means NO minority enemies (expect they're not minorities in THEIR country).

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Electrogecko said:
U know how to make it not racist? Make all the bad guys white of course!!!
Burgertime said:
Oh no! Don't put anyone of a darker skin tone or is a different ethnicity as the main character, or it might be considered racist. What are companies to do? Make every character in their game white?
Yes, the ethnic cleansing of all violent media exactly what we should do to make sure nobody's offended.

Wait a minute...

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Cybylt said:
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
As a speaker of the Zombie Awareness Society.

I find the Resident Evil games incredibly hurtful and offensive to zombies!

They deserve respect!
Obviously they took note of this which is why they changed from zombie to the politically correct B.O.W to avoid slurs.

Xzi said:
RE4 didn't have Spaniard zombies dancing around sombreros, or sleeping and selling oranges on street corners.
If you're going to state a stereotype, get it right, that's mexicans.

Its clearly noted in the game that the people who lived there were all factory workers that reverted as an effect of the plagas. Kind of like how the Spanish ones lived in a castle and used crossbows, maces and catapults instead of modern weapons. In both cases there are infected that go back to older forms of civilization.
The sad part is that the Spaniards all spoke with a Mexican accent.

wellhereiam

Jul 4, 2010
I'd be annoyed about the censorship if the stories in those games weren't such a joke. I'll start caring about the specific changes to the story once the story actually matters. Although at this point I don't think there's much of a chance of that happening. But whatever, if Capcom ever gets around to making a new game series at least then they'll know not to do something so stupidly racist again.

Liebermann

Apr 28, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
The League of Rights For Gelatinous Cubes would not be pleased by that development and would probably sue.
lol and

are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
As a speaker of the Zombie Awareness Society.

I find the Resident Evil games incredibly hurtful and offensive to zombies!

They deserve respect!
lol and

who said that it was racist? were there gaming magazines kicking up? or was it just those fucking useless parents again who find problems with everything except their own misinformed views to which the press likes to react to, blow out of proportion and then we have an issue on our hands.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Ugh. This will surely end well. Watch as any hint of ethnic diversity in our games vanishes for fear of offending someone. Guess the designers can be happy, though. Means fewer game models & character skins to design and flesh out.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
-Samurai- said:
The only reason racism is alive is because people create it out of situations where there previously was none. The people keeping racism alive are the people that claim to oppose it.
Wow, were you trying to prove something other than the fact that you've never seen actual racism there? Just because your entire knowledge of a subject ends at the parade of reactionary OMG PC BRIGADE bullshit doesn't mean that's all there is to see.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I was so happy when I misread the thread title:

Capcom Says No to Another Resident Evil

Then I was sad when I saw there was more to it! RE5 was an awful game, not just for the controversy (Which until now, I had totally missed!) but because it just wasn't fun to play with the stupid awkward controls and ridiculous plot. Oh well, looks like Capcom have bigger problems right now...

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
There was no controversy.

The game was set in Africa. Africa has black people...

Not chinese, not japanese, not eskimos....Black people.

Black Americans will cry about anything, christ they tried to say Avatar was about blacks or something stupid like that. You don't listen to them.

The Japanese, outside of being xenophobic themselves. Also tend to poke fun at themselves and different cultures embrace sterotypes as a good thing. Something to be seen as humor and satire.

But they don't care about Black American's whines, slaver and all that....cause well not their problem and its 200 years old...they tend to be more mature and move on with reality.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
JaymesFogarty said:
I still think the racism thing was ridiculous. No one was complaining when you were exclusively shooting European people. (Perhaps the humanitarians?)
*Waves hand* I was, especially considering it was Spaniards he was shooting.

We're not a mindless mob of low-life farmers, you know...

At least I'm not...

And had it been me, I would've shut Leon's ass with a sniper from the tower in the very first town of the game. No on shoots mindless low-life farmers but ME!

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Carlston said:
There was no controversy.

The game was set in Africa. Africa has black people...

Not chinese, not japanese, not eskimos....Black people.

Black Americans will cry about anything, christ they tried to say Avatar was about blacks or something stupid like that. You don't listen to them.

The Japanese, outside of being xenophobic themselves. Also tend to poke fun at themselves and different cultures embrace sterotypes as a good thing. Something to be seen as humor and satire.

But they don't care about Black American's whines, slaver and all that....cause well not their problem and its 200 years old...they tend to be more mature and move on with reality.
Actually it wasn't even black people taking offense to it, just some group saying "What if it offends them," because they understand that the black community needs to be protected with their help.

They're so busy being worried about what's offensive that they're in a rather roundabout way being the racists themselves. Gotta love the Moral Guardians.

As for the RE4 Spaniards having Mexican accents, Capcom of America's central firm is in California, which I believe includes their localization department. So that can't really be helped.

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
Xzi said:
But RE5 had black people coming out of straw huts and yelling "OOGA BOOGA!" Like some sort of blatantly racist early cartoons depicting them.
My favorite part was when they started chucking spears....

Loiosh91

Dec 20, 2008
i am completely aware that people have said this but since capcom still seems to listen to idiots and idiots still seem upset a bout this i feel i should reiterate the point that THE GAME IS SET IN F*&^ING AFRICA!!!!!BLACK PEOPLE ARE IN AFRICA!!!!AND WHEN THEY ARE BITTEN BY ZOMBIES THEY BECOME BLACK ZOMBIES!!!!THEN YOU F*&^ING SHOOT THEM!!!

personally i dont discriminate, i shoot zombies of all races without any prejudice what-so-ever.