Capcom Shows Off Street Fighter V Gamplay Footage, Reveals New Character

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Capcom Shows Off Street Fighter V Gamplay Footage, Reveals New Character

At least one new character will be joining Street Fighter V's roster - "Charlie".

Street Fighter V may have only Capcom Cup [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138905-Capcom-Street-Fighter-V-Exclusive-to-PS4-PC] event this weekend, the developer showed a full 8-minute Street Fighter V match between Ryu and Chun-Li, which you can check out in the video to the right. It's something that should be very familiar, but also just the right amount of different for die-hard Street Fighter fans, something that's demonstrated by the commentators figuring out how the game works as they are commentated.

Furthermore, Capcom also showed off an extended version [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay-IUE6WlAo] of the game's reveal trailer that showed us a nice little surprise - the reveal of a new character. Charlie, who is blond and wears glasses, also has some sort of glowing oval in his head... and that's all we know. His appearance was only teased for a split second, but it's nice to see a new face. Fans will remember Charlie from the Street Fighter Alpha games, where he was one of Guile's army buddies.

Not only is Street Fighter V coming exclusively to the PC and the PS4 (IE: skipping the Xbox One), but so is cross-platform play. Players on one platform will be able to compete against those on the other seamlessly for the first time ever in the franchise.

No information on release dates at the moment, but we're probably best not to expect it for at least another year.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/watch-street-fighter-v-played-live-for-the-first-time-1670853951]

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Charlie's not exactly brand new, he's been in the Street Fighter Alpha games. He's one of Guile's army buddies.

Game looks decent, although Ryu looks a little bare-bones now. Curious as to how the Revenge meter works.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
No Xbox One release? Shame, would have enjoyed this I think. Ah well, be fun to hear about other "hats" :p

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Something about the way this game looks reminds me of Dead or Alive, particularly the win poses/scenes, and especially the camera angles and such.
I have to say, I'm really not liking how this game looks at all, really.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, Charlie Nash isn't really "New", but mostly underrated due to his backstory which is being "Dead" in the main series.
The Questions are "what happened to him after he was assumed dead?"

inb4 "OMG they Killed Charlie" again for his ending in SF V. :p

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I hope this means that we see more Alpha characters, i'd love to see Karin return, though i doubt it would happen.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
It was basically a teaser of alpha footage, nothing too exciting. The presentation in general was quite poor. Combo Fiend and Mike Ross also didn't do a very good job of showcasing how SF5 would be different from SF4. They basically played it like SF4. If you combine that with the aesthetics and such, it really seems like SF4.5. I did see a few things that were positive like a potential 'Just Defend' mechanic like from Garou Mark of The Wolf. That would be nifty. I was hoping they'd showcase more new defensive mechanics though.

Another downside is the game looks very slow. It is just as slow as SF4, which about as slow as you can get in a fighter. I am hoping that they up the walk speed and increase the speed of the game in general. The hit stuns on the attacks seem really long, also no good. They aren't quite as long as SF4, but still long.

Anyway, I really hope they take the chance to make this game as far from SF4 as possible. This is the time to take a risk and not play it safe. If it ends up being SF4.5, I just don't see it working out too well.

On another hand, 500k prize pool for next years Capcom Cup. The first real prize pool for an FGC tournament in forever. The partnership from Sony may turn out to be a good thing, after all.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ShakerSilver said:
Charlie's not exactly brand new, he's been in the Street Fighter Alpha games. He's one of Guile's army buddies.
Yeah, when I saw the name "Charlie," I thought "the guy who gets killed in the Alpha series?"

Unsurprisingly, the trailer shows a guy with Charlie Nash's glasses and hairstyle. I don't remember the glowing thing on his forehead, though.

Anyway, the video of this game looks pretty boring to me.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Fasckira said:
No Xbox One release? Shame, would have enjoyed this I think. Ah well, be fun to hear about other "hats" :p
Perhaps it has insufficient resources to run the game.

I wish the Capcom vs Marvel games would come to Windows. Shame they lost the rights. Maybe Capcom should do a Versus game that's just Capcom characters? Kinda like Kingdom Hearts, or some of the others.

I hope Bison is back, I hated Seth.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
ShakerSilver said:
Yeah, when I saw the name "Charlie," I thought "the guy who gets killed in the Alpha series?"

Unsurprisingly, the trailer shows a guy with Charlie Nash's glasses and hairstyle. I don't remember the glowing thing on his forehead, though.

Anyway, the video of this game looks pretty boring to me.
he's prolly a clone or resurrected by Gil's cult.

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
008Zulu said:
Fasckira said:

I wish the Capcom vs Marvel games would come to Windows. Shame they lost the rights. Maybe Capcom should do a Versus game that's just Capcom characters? Kinda like Kingdom Hearts, or some of the others.

No, sony paid for some of the development

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
I liked how all the movement and hits looked like they all had mass to them. Ryu's right hooks were slow, but looked heavy and stunning. Chun Li's Legs were massive as always but movement and impact looked appropriate. I enjoy the speed of the game also. Some have mentioned that it looks slow. Although that may be true compared to some of the older games, it feels appropriate to me. Maybe it's because I am an older gamer now and my eyes have slowed down a lot over the years.

I did not get a chance to play SF4, but I can say I would play this.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far from SF5. It's obviously still very early in development (Amazon is guessing at a 2016 release though Capcom hasn't said anything at all official) but it appears they have a good handle on the sort of mechanics they want to include in the game. I love that the moves really do feel like they have a real heft to them now, and the custom reel and blocking animations really help in that regard, but the game does seem to feel really slow right now. I'm sure that will be fixed in time once they finalize animations and game timing. I also quite like the new graphical style that obviously borrows from SF4 but still has a slightly darker and less super buff cartoony look to everything as well. Of course, once again with the game this early, it's tough to say how much of that will make it into the final game.

Zachary Amaranth said:
ShakerSilver said:

The mark on his forehead is likely a tie in to Gill and Urien from the SF3 series, which probably does place the timeline of the game to potentially include some of the other SF3 cast.

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
Charlie's not new.

Like, at all.

Hang your head in shame, Taco Man.

Also yet more proof that absolutely no one ever dies in Street Fighter.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Fasckira said:
If you like Japanese games I suggest you trade in that Xbox One for a PS4, we're going to see a lot more of this from Japanese studios because Microsoft has managed to sell a grand total of 10 units to their entire country.

You know, if this was any other series I would be saying "it looks very similar to the last one". But when it comes to Street Fighter I know I will buy it and enjoy it regardless of similarity so I'm up for it!

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
It's semantics really.

Charlie is new to the MAIN SF series, Alpha was/is a prequel/remake series and not officially canon (assuming SF has even that ;) )

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I like the new minor mechanic mainly the destructive enviornment (well ok it's not that new) since the whole invisible walls does bother me in fighting game althought I wonder what happened if they had went to the right.
I may want to buy it due to its exclusive but I would need to upgrade my graphic card.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Gailim said:
008Zulu said:
Fasckira said:

Have any proof of this?

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Toadfish1 said:
Gailim said:
008Zulu said:
Fasckira said:

Have any proof of this?
Theres no concrete proof, but its very likely since the lead developer of Street Fighter said sometime last year that Street Fighter 5 would likely be coming out in 2018, indicating work probably wouldnt start for a while, and now suddenly there is gameplay footage already out. Not to mention SFV being announced as exclusive to the PS4 and PC at the recent playstation expo, as well as Ultra Street Fighter 4 coming to the PS4 and not the Xbone. Sony is also pitching in money for the prize pool for 2015's Capcom Cup.

It's not officially confirmed, but seeing as how they seem to be getting everything Street Fighter related exclusive to their console (and PC), as well as looking at Capcom's less than stellar financial position, it seems really likely that Sony helped pay for Street Fighter, in return for having it be exclusive on consoles for them.

Also looking at Sony's behaviour from the recent Playstation expo, they seem really hell bent on snatching up exclusives, this really falls in line with their recent actions

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
The_Blue_Rider said:
Toadfish1 said:
Gailim said:
008Zulu said:
Fasckira said:

Have any proof of this?
Theres no concrete proof, but its very likely since the lead developer of Street Fighter said sometime last year that Street Fighter 5 would likely be coming out in 2018, indicating work probably wouldnt start for a while, and now suddenly there is gameplay footage already out. Not to mention SFV being announced as exclusive to the PS4 and PC at the recent playstation expo, as well as Ultra Street Fighter 4 coming to the PS4 and not the Xbone. Sony is also pitching in money for the prize pool for 2015's Capcom Cup.

It's not officially confirmed, but seeing as how they seem to be getting everything Street Fighter related exclusive to their console (and PC), as well as looking at Capcom's less than stellar financial position, it seems really likely that Sony helped pay for Street Fighter, in return for having it be exclusive on consoles for them.

Also looking at Sony's behaviour from the recent Playstation expo, they seem really hell bent on snatching up exclusives, this really falls in line with their recent actions
Actually, during the Playstation Expo Yoshinori Ono and Adam Boyes from Sony basically came right out during the Keynote and said that Sony is assisting in development. So there's that.