Capcom Unveils Four New Fighters for Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Capcom Unveils Four New Fighters for Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Bionic arms, boxer shorts, magnetism and giant floating heads: Battles are unlikely to get boring in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

A new challenger has entered the ring! Well, four of them actually, as Capcom pulled back the curtain on a quartet of pugilists for its upcoming crossover brawler Marvel vs. Capcom 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-vs-Capcom-Worlds-Playstation-3/dp/B003IEBO9Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1286665982&sr=1-1 ], with one old hand and three new faces.

On the Capcom side, Nathan Spencer from the recent reboot Bionic Commando and Sir Arthur from Ghosts 'n' Goblins are entering the fray, while the Marvel team sees the return of long-standing X-Men adversary Magneto, and the bizarre M.O.D.O.K., or "Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing," whose schemes have been the bane of many of Marvel's mightiest heroes.

Speaking at New York Comic Con, a Capcom spokesperson said that choosing characters for the game was about making "unconventional choices." This is especially true for M.O.D.O.K., who has an incredibly strange shape compared to the rest of the roster. The spokesperson said that having a cast full of humanoid characters was "boring" and M.O.D.O.K. was added to mix things up a little.

Capcom has also revealed the setup for the game. Doctor Doom teams up with Albert Wesker in order to conquer their respective universes, but accidentally rouses a terrible evil - which is more than likely previously announced character Dormmamu - from its slumber. This act sets in motion a battle that will decide the fate of both universes. Not the most original excuse to punch Doctor Doom in his stupid metal face, but it'll do just fine.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 comes out for Xbox 360 and PS3 early next year.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/09/marvel-games-at-new-york-comic-con-liveblog/#continued]

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
I'll get it out of the way: Phoenix Wright, for the eternal gratitude of many!

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
shadowstriker86 said:
so they wont put servbot in but they'll put modok in?
At least M.O.D.O.K. is large enough to hit without being super-annoying. Sure, I still think he's an odd choice, but I'm not the one making the game, so...

MalevolentJim

Aug 15, 2008
I think this will be ignored over people screaming out "OH MY FUCKING GOD DEADPOOL'S IN THE GAME!!".

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
M.O.D.O.K
I smell a trap type fighter

But that's not whats important.
Whats important is...

With these new characters, that rumor about Mike Haggar and Zero better be true.
Ill be disappointed if it isn't.

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
Nostalgia Ripoff said:
TLatshaw said:
I'll get it out of the way: Phoenix Wright, for the eternal gratitude of many!
But what the hell would he do? He had a fight scene once and he got his ass beat.
It would certainly be a challenge, but what did Roll ever do before they made a fighter out of her? (Unless I'm missing a crucial part of her development.)

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Well Capcom already put a bigheaded character so now it was Marvel's time.

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
From this video, he looks quite overpowered.
I hope he's not, cause i like the looks of this game.
Also, love the music

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
automatron said:
Same here. Either I'm naive to the workings of the game or he is a bit too strong. Also, I have difficulty imagining anyone being excited about his being in the game. I mean, really, who wants to play as MODOK in a game where any of the other announced characters are present?

Apr 28, 2008
This is my most wanted game right now.

Want... so... much...

Gigaguy64 said:
hehe, the Digimon movie... I remember that one.

good times...

DetectiveSparky

Size doesn't matter
Jul 16, 2009
I'm still not sold, I need Jill to be in it in order for me to pre-order it or get it anytime near it's release, and not as DLC either. Though Phoenix Wright may make me teeter a bit more.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Irridium said:
This is my most wanted game right now.

Want... so... much...

Gigaguy64 said:
hehe, the Digimon movie... I remember that one.

good times...
Iv never actually seen it, but all the Reaction Images from it alone make me want to.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
automatron said:
Also, love the music
-Zen- said:
Same here. Either I'm naive to the workings of the game or he is a bit too strong. Also, I have difficulty imagining anyone being excited about his being in the game. I mean, really, who wants to play as MODOK in a game where any of the other announced characters are present?
I think (or hope) that that's just because this is a video to reveal the character's inclusion - no-one will be interested if you introduce a new character and then show them getting their ass handed to them by everyone else, after all.

[sub]I'm still disappointed by the fact that anyone can beat Dante. And now I want to see the Ghosts 'n' Goblins guy in action[/sub]

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
-Zen- said:
automatron said:
Same here. Either I'm naive to the workings of the game or he is a bit too strong.
It was a combat trailer about MODOK so the only thing they showed was him pulling off all his moves. I doubt he's particularly overpowered.

The line-up so far looks pretty interesting. I haven't really gotten into any fighting games since on the Dreamcast a decade ago and I don't even own a current gen console atm, but this game kinda makes me wish I did. I do love me some Deadpool and Dante.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
No instant sale for me without Strider.. but Spencer does look pretty cool, even if they are using his remake look and not his original appearance.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
It'd be interesting if Capcom threw in a Breath of Fire character. I doubt anyone would expect that :) Just take Ryu for example. He can turn into dragons, right? Sounds like you could make a decent moveset around that.

StriderShinryu said:
No instant sale for me without Strider.. but Spencer does look pretty cool, even if they are using his remake look and not his original appearance.
There will in all likelihood be a "classic" skin. Maybe even a 'stache skin.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Personally, I'm all over these reveals like they were made of chocolate.

Magneto's an obvious inclusion, but welcome. Spencer's got some neat tricks in there.

But the real show-stealers for me are Arthur and MODOK. Both of them look completely nuts to play as, and I'm curious as to how exactly both of them work.

And really, the giant floating head demographic really needed some representation here.