Capcom Wants to Cut Ties With The West, Increase DLC

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
What a xenophobic and misdirected plan. As I was reading this, my mind was screaming "we don't understand why other people are successful, we need to ramp up all the things that people hate us for doing". Also, I'm pretty sure that the low sales of the western games were due to what you had them do or what they had to work with, not that they happen to be "western". I get the same feeling from Square-Enix...like they're butthurt about the decline of Japan's influence in the gaming world and decide to hold their western partners to ridiculous standards in order to consider them failures and downplay their relative success.

Way to be the EA of Japan, Capcom.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Wow, cutting ties with the West entirely? That seems... drastic.

I have three games by Capcom: Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Megaman Zero, and Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure. Note that all three were released a good few years ago. Meaning that, other than Megaman 9, nothing they've recently released has really interested me. Perhaps it coincides with their unscrupulous business tactics?

Anyway, I can't say I'll miss them too much.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
So basically, they want even less people to buy they're games?

Bummer, I liked where the Ninja Theory Devil May Cry was going, Dante was actually interesting as a character.

Colt47 said:
So in other words, if a megaman game were to come out, we'll have to pay $15 USD to unlock the right to use a different mega-buster configuration and a third of the bosses are going to be locked behind a pay wall.
I expect them to go full on 'DLC Quest', only not as a joke, actually.

or they could just stop localizing games for the US. I'd be ok with that to.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010

That's some tantrum Capcom but you'll be back. I'm calling your bluff simply because you'll try to find a way to milk money.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Between Legends 3, Resi6, SFxC, Umvc3 and god knows how many other middle figner business decisions they've made towards their customers are they SERIOUSLY not aware why they've been losing so much damn money?

It's quite simple capcom, your customers are like a beehive, sure you can bump it a few times every now and then and you probably won't get stung but when you have your mouth buried in it at the same time you are wacking it with a stick and screaming the chances of being stung increase quite substantially.

I mean fuck I'm still in awe that the HD version of Revelations (the first resi game ive been remotely interested in since 4) is $50 god damn dollars. Even Resident Evil 6 is cheaper on steam right now.

Come the fuck on Capcom. How the hell are you so blind and stubborn after all this time, has absolutely nothing been learned? I will be very surprised if they're still around next gen at some point in to the new cycle if they intend to keep acting the way they are.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
*sigh* I actually liked DmC, but after playing RE6 at my cousins house last week, I just... ugh... what a piece of shit.

I miss the old Capcom, the one that actually had amazing games for 4 entire console generations.

Capcom has been pretty shitty this gen and if a warning of bankruptcy isn't enough to bring them back, then I think it'll be best to let them be and do absolutely nothing when they drown themselves.

KingWein22

Jun 4, 2010
Good thing I bought used copies of Mega Man and Mega Man X Collection(s). Played the free MMxSF. Bought MM9, 10, RE4-6 new then got rid of 5. It's okay though, Capcom. It's not like people are gonna riot...wait...

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm... I dunno. That sounds pretty insulting to me. Loosely translated its almost like saying

"In Japan and across Asia, We are Gods. Anything we make people buy. But you evil westerners with your expectations and standards. We do not wish to sell you our games any longer because we are afraid your reasonable expectations might infect others here and how can we allow that? We do not come to your country and tell YOU who you can gouge do we?"

In the west, We know just exactly how little Capcom thinks of their customers, but it is baffling how those in the East simply are not seeing it and in fact are protecting them from the bankruptcy they have been begging for for years.

LOL Captcha.. You So crazzee. "Know your rights" Yep, I do, especially the right not to give arrogant douche nozzles my money for snip jobs and copypastas out the ying yang.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
F you right back Capcom. I haven't bought your tripe in years because anything I gave a damn about you cancelled (3 guesses) and everything else you have put forth is glorified shovelware. Cut your ties with the west and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

I won't miss you. Your best years are way behind you.

Maerx

Sep 15, 2010
It bothers me that Capcom acts like this is our fault. Capcom wtf is your problem?

Fix your crap and don't blame the customer for your delusions.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Okay here's a new drinking game: every time a game fails to meet sales expectations, you take a shot. It'sh the greatesht! *hic* /falldown

No Capcom, you're doing it all wrong! Isn't it obvious? You need a CoD-killer! That'll save you. Perhaps take one of your existing blockbuster titles and action-ify it.

When I get a sec I'll compare your last few years' releases against my games library; doubt I'll find much.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Again with the industry blaming the consumer for their own shortcomings.

Piss off Capcom. The only game you've gotten me slightly interested in in years is the new Ace Attorney, and that one looks as if you beat it near death with the angsty stick.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Wow...so uh...I really don't know what to say. I'm rather stunned.

Is...is this the start of the collapse? Are we really about to see iconic game companies that have been around for years, decades even, disappear? What happens then?
Other companies buy their IPs, and hopefully continue making games with them, and if we're lucky remembering what made their former owners disappear in the 1st place. Sad to see giants fall sure but hard to shed tears when they do it to themselves.

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
J Tyran said:
mirage202 said:
Publisher refuses to listen to fans, fans dont buy games, publisher loses profit. Publisher blames every one but self.

Why does this sound familiar? Oh right, same shit, different company.
You have to wonder what these publishers actually inside their skull because it certainly isn't brains. "Since we began our DLC strategy we only met 50% of our sales estimates, we must invest even more into the DLC strategy to correct this!"

How can they be blind to it? People are getting fed up of this and Capcom are one of the worst for DLC shenanigans, maybe even the worst and now they are paying for it through customer dissatisfaction.
Capcom is definitely the worst DLC offender. EA, for all their troubles, has had some good DLC releases as well - the larger BioWare DLCs have mostly been good, and Lair of the Shadow Broker was a shining example of DLC done right. Battlefield had some decent packs. Capcom doesn't really have any successes to show at all, and manages to feel even more like they're engaging in product splitting.