Capcom's Latest Scheme: More Sequels, Shortened Development Time

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
And they were doing so well, oh well it was good while it lasted, I just hope they don't fuck Dragons Dogma up too much.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Capcom's first sequel title:
2 Little 2 Late
Exclusive release in Japan only.
I'm personally waiting for the dark and edgy Viewtiful Joe remake to happen.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
When I read "shorten development time", the first thing that comes to my mind is are they trying to shoot themselves in the foot and want to go out of business faster? Because let's face it a rush job always lead to shitty results.

It a shame Capcom, you used to be one of my fave game companies alongside EA and Activision.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I feel sorry for the people who buy Capcom games like SF4, without waiting for the full Arcade edition.

Gamers will eventually stop falling for this trick though.

What all these new full-priced enhanced editions will do to a franchise, is damage those critical first month sales of true sequels.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
getoffmycloud said:
Scars Unseen said:
Suddenly I am considerably less enthusiastic about a Dragon's Dogma sequel...
Why exactly they are aiming for a 2.5 year gap between each sequel which is still half a year longer than most other developers and they are hiring more people to achieve this without sacrificing quality sounds pretty good to me.
Because if there's anything that Bioware has taught us, it's that hiring more people guarantees quality.
But this isn't Bioware so that is a pretty pointless argument

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Who wins from this? Does anyone benefit from this? All I can foresee happening is the games sucking, no one liking them, bullshit DLC being released no one will buy, employees being under stress then either quitting being laid off or killing themselves, and Capcom blaming everyone but themselves for their fuck up. I have never seen a company so committed to destroying themselves.

Thetwistedendgame

Apr 5, 2011
Because churning out cardboard boxes with cool names slapped on them is still a better decision than Operation Raccoon City.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
So more sequels of the only two IPs that Capcom hasn't bludgeoned into the fucking ground yet. There's a word for that: It's called stagnation.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
I don't really see how people are coming down on Capcom for this, all they are doing is adjusting their production strategy to be more on par American publishers. They have to try to be competitive somehow. We can ***** and moan all we want, but our spending habits show that our voices should be ignored.
Actually, it's better analogy to say that Western publishers adapted Capcom's model.

Sorry, kids, Sequalitis has been Capcom's trademark for long before anyone even know what Call of Duty was.

D-Soul

Sep 5, 2012
In short, it's like Capcom saying we save ourselves by shooting ourselves in the foot by, wait for it....shooting ourselves in the foot but faster?

SoDaRa

Jan 7, 2009
I feel bad for all the people who just realized that their work environment is about to become more of a hell than it already was.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Expect Capcom to announce the following games for the next 12 months.

Street Fighter VS Soul Calibur
Street Fighter VS Guilty Gear
Street Fighter VS Virtua Fighter
Street Fighter VS Dead or Alive
Street Fighter VS Tellytubbies
Capcom VS Konami
Capcom VS Arc Systems
Capcom VS SNK 3
Capcom VS Studio Ghibli
Hyper Super Dooper Street Fighter IV Unlimited

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Fappy said:
This is not at all surprising. Capcom's getting pretty good and churning out shit these days.
These days? I could have sworn this was always their MO. A quick wikipedia search of Onimusha, Dino Crisis, and Resident Evil shows at least a sequel per year per franchise. Devil May Cry may be the cream of the crop with 2-3 year development cycles.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
RobfromtheGulag said:
Fappy said:
This is not at all surprising. Capcom's getting pretty good and churning out shit these days.
These days? I could have sworn this was always their MO. A quick wikipedia search of Onimusha, Dino Crisis, and Resident Evil shows at least a sequel per year per franchise. Devil May Cry may be the cream of the crop with 2-3 year development cycles.
I was more commenting on how their games have been crappy lately, not necessarily that short dev cycles are a recent trend. Capcom is the EA of the East DX

Mar 5, 2011
This reminds me of Megaman Legends 3. Capcom is basically saying, "We want to be the Japanese EA". What the fuck Capcom? You used to be cool.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
"People aren't buying our games during a recession? Flood the market with more games!"

It does not help matters that Capcom games are more expensive thanks to their DLC shenanigans