Capcom's Newly Announced RPG Dragon's Dogma Looks Purty

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
kibbitz2000 said:
RyQ_TMC said:
Yea, just thought that naming it Strider and having it being a mere archer would be immensely disappointing. The Tolkien reference was visible, but... I don't know, maybe I'm too idealistic in thinking that they can't be that crazy/lame just to randomly throw in Strider just to snag a Tolkien fan or two (especially since I don't see it working.)
You definitely need to get rid of some of that faith in the human race. Bleach helps.

I for one am absolutely certain that the game will have the standard trio of fighter-mage-rogue, each of them as cliched as it gets. They might try to market it as "old-school" or "back to the basics".

See, I don't normally mind this sort of thing too much in an RPG. The gameworld and story usually compensates for that. But from what little about Dragon's Dogma we know, it's gonna be very hack'n'slashy, which means that the focus should be on making combat abilites interesting. Which would normally require adding other classes or reinventing the old ones for added appeal.

ikoian

Feb 9, 2011
CHecked out the trailer, and you might want to throw in a little bit of Shadow of the Colossus in there too with all the monster climbing.

kibbitz2000

Sep 26, 2010
RyQ_TMC said:
kibbitz2000 said:
RyQ_TMC said:
Yea, just thought that naming it Strider and having it being a mere archer would be immensely disappointing. The Tolkien reference was visible, but... I don't know, maybe I'm too idealistic in thinking that they can't be that crazy/lame just to randomly throw in Strider just to snag a Tolkien fan or two (especially since I don't see it working.)
You definitely need to get rid of some of that faith in the human race. Bleach helps.

I for one am absolutely certain that the game will have the standard trio of fighter-mage-rogue, each of them as cliched as it gets. They might try to market it as "old-school" or "back to the basics".

See, I don't normally mind this sort of thing too much in an RPG. The gameworld and story usually compensates for that. But from what little about Dragon's Dogma we know, it's gonna be very hack'n'slashy, which means that the focus should be on making combat abilites interesting. Which would normally require adding other classes or reinventing the old ones for added appeal.
Bleach sounds painful. Still, totally agree with your points. Not much to be said now, since we really don't have much to go on. Guess we'll see when the time comes.

GasparNolasco

Dec 13, 2010
Almost every time Capcom ventured in a new territory in the past it evolved a genre -- Like what they did with Megaman, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Marvel vs Capcom, Devil May Cry, etc.
I really hope Dragon Dogma turns out to evolve both the Western and Japanese RPG genres since the've both been pretty stale and generic lately.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Jumwa said:
No PC release? Lame.
To be fair, Japan's PC market for AAA games is tiny. not as many people there use PCs for gaming and this is a game coming from a Japanese company.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
LeonLethality said:
To be fair, Japan's PC market for AAA games is tiny. not as many people there use PCs for gaming and this is a game coming from a Japanese company.
I wasn't making a comment on how much financial sense it makes, just that I'm disappointed it's not announced for a platform I own or care to own. However, Capcom has been bringing most of their big hitters to PC lately it seems, so I'm not writing it off entirely, it might just take a bit longer.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Greg Tito said:
I got to say that Dragon's Dogma looks pretty good despite its shitty name. Really? There's a dogma about dragons?

that was my first thought. "what a shitty name"

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Dammit, Japan, why is your PC gaming market nonexistent? Other than the various MMOs, I can't recall a single game released for the PC that didn't have to be ported later.

Oh well, we PC people get actual Skyrim instead of Japanese facsimile Skyrim, so I'm not complaining. Still, this looks like it has potential, and it's nice to see more games from East Asia that don't look completely animesque. I'd be reasonably excited, if I could play it.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Excited for some trademark Capcom insanity to add a twist to the standard fantasy RPG setting.

CplDustov

May 7, 2009
maybe there still isn't a dogma about dragons... maybe it's a dogma that a dragon has...

sarahvait

Nov 6, 2008
Another tolkien inspired fantasy game? Ergh, I'm so bored of those. I don't know, maybe the characters and story will be interesting enough to compensate, but can we please get more RPGs with some new settings? It feels like those sorts of games are just buried under all the generic fantasy RPGs that come out. It's not like they don't do well either. Mass Effect and Fallout 3 were nice changes of pace. And there was Jade Empire; fantasy with a Chinese angle. The Shin Megami Tensei series usually goes for a modern setting or a cyber punk feel. I don't know, anything besides the same dungeons and dragons stuff over and over?

Dragon Age, Dragon Age 2, the Two Worlds games, the Fable games, all the Elder Scrolls games, Lord of the Rings, World of Warcraft. I'm generalizing some of these titles, but I feel so saturated with this genre at this point. Can't we at least shake things up a bit? Like add some steam punk (and I'm not talking about just making one zone kind of steam punk, I mean the whole game), or instead of the hyper realistic look, maybe give us something stylized? It doesn't have to look like anime; since it seems like Capcom wants to aim more for the western market with this game, they could hire western artists, or at least artists that could replicate a western art style.

Oh well, it is only screenshots so far. Maybe they've got something up their sleeves to give the game a different twist.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
People criticize people like me who are Japan Obsessed, but its not like Japan doesn't have Capcom, which is a Western Society-ophile.

I doubt this game will be good, buuuuuuuut I will give it a chance.