Captain America - Civil War - Which Side Are You On?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Captain America - Civil War - Which Side Are You On?

Captain America: Civil War is one of the most thematically rich and action-packed Marvel movies yet.

Read Full Article

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
I seem to be in the minority, at least from what I can tell, who actually liked the villain. Sure, not nearly as memorable personality wise, but for what the film was trying to do and how it goes down in the end I really liked him.

Action was definitely top notch, with many scenes just oozing with great stuff. I really felt the force from many of the fights, where it really felt like those hits did some damage. The ending I liked but I think that's going to split most people on this movie depending on their interpretation of it.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Super Cyborg said:
I seem to be in the minority, at least from what I can tell, who actually liked the villain. Sure, not nearly as memorable personality wise, but for what the film was trying to do and how it goes down in the end I really liked him.

Action was definitely top notch, with many scenes just oozing with great stuff. I really felt the force from many of the fights, where it really felt like those hits did some damage. The ending I liked but I think that's going to split most people on this movie depending on their interpretation of it.

The plan of the villain was fine but my problem was wasting BARON ZEMO on it which seems to be a recurring problem of wasting the handful of good villains that Marvel has access to.

Don't get me started on the Russo's talking about cutting back on Thanos in the next two part Avenger films from an already brief 20 minutes tops (the interviews where they say this are on 'comic book resources' their search system is shit so good hunting).

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Super Cyborg said:
Don't worry, I totally agree with you. Zemo was a fucking amazing villain in this.
No superpowers, no real connections, just one man driven by revenge for what happened to his family and to do that, he outsmarts Ex-HYDRA, The Avengers, The UN, EVERYONE.
Hell, a bit of re-framing and he could actually be a protag :p

OT: Loved the movie myself when I saw it the other week with my brother and a few friends.
I agree that the pacing was kinda janky early on in the movie but once Bucky is busted from that UN Prison, the movie REALLY picks up.
Hell, I knew in advance that Iron Man and Captain America were going to live but that last fight scene actually had me thinking Disney would really actually kill one of them off! :eek:
And I totally want to see that Black Panther movie, dude is like African Batman, what's not to love? XD

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
P-89 Scorpion said:
The plan of the villain was fine but my problem was wasting BARON ZEMO on it which seems to be a recurring problem of wasting the handful of good villains that Marvel has access to.

Don't get me started on the Russo's talking about cutting back on Thanos in the next two part Avenger films from an already brief 20 minutes tops (the interviews where they say this are on 'comic book resources' their search system is shit so good hunting).
Perhaps this is an advantage for me having never read the comics and being actively invested in certain villains/characters when they come up. Since you know about this person from the comics you probably had more anticipation, where I just had what they did to go off of.

Diablo1099 said:
Don't worry, I totally agree with you. Zemo was a fucking amazing villain in this.
No superpowers, no real connections, just one man driven by revenge for what happened to his family and to do that, he outsmarts Ex-HYDRA, The Avengers, The UN, EVERYONE.

OT: Loved the movie myself when I saw it the other week with my brother and a few friends.
I agree that the pacing was kinda janky early on in the movie but once Bucky is busted from that UN Prison, the movie REALLY picks up.
Hell, I knew in advance that Iron Man and Captain America were going to live but that last fight scene actually had me thinking Disney would really actually kill one of them off! :eek:
And I totally want to see that Black Panther movie, dude is like African Batman, what's not to love? XD
I just like how it wasn't some mastermind plan. Just adding a little more fuel to the already explosive barrel, then set it off. Instead of him being a huge focus it was just part of the larger picture. Also.

I really liked the end with Black Panther with mask off talking to Zemos. It was short but really hit home. Then seeing the very end of the fight between Cap and Stark hit everything home.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Super Cyborg said:
I really liked the end with Black Panther with mask off talking to Zemos. It was short but really hit home. Then seeing the very end of the fight between Cap and Stark hit everything home.
"The living are not done with you yet..."

"So i ask you, as both warrior and king, how long do you think you can save your friend from me?"

"Don't bother Ms. Romanov. I shall kill him myself."

Man, I didn't know shit about that guy before this movie and now I really want to know more.
That's one of the best things these movies have done, sparked interest in some of the lesser characters.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Diablo1099 said:
Super Cyborg said:
"The living are not done with you yet..."

"So i ask you, as both warrior and king, how long do you think you can save your friend from me?"

"Don't bother Ms. Romanov. I shall kill him myself."

Man, I didn't know shit about that guy before this movie and now I really want to know more.
That's one of the best things these movies have done, sparked interest in some of the lesser characters.
Second quote was my favorite of all his. I'm definitely excited for his movie, which sucks because his movie is over two years from now. Spiderman was cool in the movie, but I'm less interested in him, so his should've waited for a bit longer. Then again, if the time means just making the movie better overall, then I can did that.

If his fighting style from this movie is anything to go off of, it's going to be fun to watch the action scenes in the movies. Agile and strong is quite deadly. Also that suit is just awesome looking.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Villains that pop well are a huge issue with the MCU by way of licensing. Guys like Norman Osborne (up until recently) and Doctor Doom have been walled off by other studios owning the IPs and they're SO essential IMO to the universe as villains who aren't just limited to their respective arch-enemies. Doom and Goblin are guys (using them as an example) who can be a credible global threat, whether its politically or otherwise. Doom has mystical powers as well that make him mesh well with folks like Doc Strange, plus his intellect allows him to be up on the grander scale of things cosmic.
They're villains who can be defeated and yet still pose problems later on because they can rebuild and come back even stronger and more evil.
In speaking of villains, there still is the loose plot thread of the real Mandarin going after Tony Stark. Its been hinted at since Iron Man's first film and heavily implied he exists in the post Iron Man 3 vignette. If they do it right, we could have another major level villain... but honestly I hope that Marvel gets more rights back to some of the better baddies. Still they are doing quite well taking b-list and c-list villains and making them seem pretty cool.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I saw Civil War last night, and I have to say;

I would be legitimately un-surprised if I heard that DC and WB execs committed suicide over the next few days because of how badly Marvel just shit on them again.

saxman234

Nov 23, 2011
I agree with most of the review, except for

monotony of darker, more mature subject matter
I thought all the darker moments were excellently executed and in fact improved previous movies (such as movies that I didn't enjoy fully like AoU). Similar to the first scene of BvS flashing back to superman destroying metropolis, showing past mistakes and lives lost made the feud more well rounded. The jokes/laughs did help provide a nice range of tone/emotions compared tosome previous marvel movies which just kind of stayed in the middle action psudo comedy tone, but I would not call the darker/more mature parts monotonous.

Also I don't think the villain as a character was terrible, but the fact that he predicted everything that would happen perfectly was a bit too much. It was more bond villain or criminal mastermind knowing exactly what would happen at every step and it didn't really match his character in the movie.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Paragon Fury said:

I would be legitimately un-surprised if I heard that DC and WB execs committed suicide over the next few days because of how badly Marvel just shit on them again.
But I want my Justice League with Zack Snyder action and visuals.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
I saw Civil War with some friends the other day and we all agreed that the only reason [ i ] anyone [ /i ] would go for team Cap was that he's as close to a central protagonist the movie has.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
talker said:
I saw Civil War with some friends the other day and we all agreed that the only reason [ i ] anyone [ /i ] would go for team Cap was that he's as close to a central protagonist the movie has.
Which is actually pretty ironic given how in the comics the morality of things was so laughably lopsided in Cap's favour that no one could take it seriously.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Paragon Fury said:

I think they realized they need something to change, Affleck just got promoted to Executive Producer. He's a guy I could see giving DC's IPs proper love and care. However it might be too little too late. They may salvage it but it'll never be comparable to MCU's success.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Enjoyed the movie, but it's telling that I can barely remember anything pre-airport scene. Not that the prior stuff was bad, it's just the airport fight completely eclipses the rest of the movie. While most of the film takes on a serious thriller tone similar to Winter Soldier, that particular fight is full on Avengers-level over-indulgent spectacle. It doesn't help that Ant Man and Spider Man completely walk away with it despite having the least amount of investment in the conflict. And the final, final battle was amazingly tense.

It's a shame the movie holds off until the very end to reveal the villain's motivations, since it's a very well done monologue and elevates him to the top tier of Marvel villains (not that's saying much; it's really just him, Loki & Fisk).

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
talker said:
They must have been telling his side horribly then. Giving any government that much power is just asking for tyranny.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Super Cyborg said:
I agree.

<spoiler=I actually found him and his motivation far more memorable and affecting than most MCU villains. Spoilers>

After what must be a dozen scenery chewing, ham supplying BAD GUYS it makes perfect sense for the guy who really, deeply and possibly irreversibly hurts The Avengers to be just some guy.

I also think that both his motivation and the reveal of it is excellent too. He's not a HYDRA agent, he's not pursuing some dream of glory or power, he's not even terribly evil by MCU standards. What he is is the embodiment of The Avenger's collateral damage, it makes him at least somewhat sympathetic.

I especially liked the phone message, the first time you hear it it makes you think there's more to Zemo than just 'bad guy,' The second time I heard it I figured out that his story was one of revenge.

I'm also glad he sees out the end of the movie. MCU Zemo is somewhat out of place in the very unsubtle world he inhabits, plusthere's space for him to be on different sides if/when the writers feel brave enough. Hopefully they don't kill him off screen like they did Strucker

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
IOwnTheSpire said:
If people could stop taking potshots at BvS any day now, that'd be great, thanks.
That target's going to be on the range for years my friend, years and years.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Diablo1099 said:
Super Cyborg said:

personally i think zemo is both so mentally screwed up that for all we know he may decide to wear purple battle armor next time we se him. also baron means lord of a castle. maybe he will find more hydra facilities from the war to use against the avengers