Captain America Sequel Could Become Biggest April Movie Ever

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Captain America Sequel Could Become Biggest April Movie Ever

So far, the post-Avengers life has been good for the individual members of the Marvel Studios superteam, with Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World both out-performing their pre-crossover predecessors by significant margins at the box office. Now, it looks like Captain America is on track to do the same thing.

Analysts are predicting that the superhero sequel, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, will debut with somewhere between $80 and $85 million in ticket sales in its first weekend of release in the United States; dwarfing the $65 million opening of Cap's first movie. The film has already opened in multiple overseas territories, where it has already grossed over $100 million. In addition, online ticket-seller Fandango is reporting that Winter Soldier has become the biggest April pre-sale success in the company's history.

Some are now going so far as to predict that the film could actually become the biggest April release ever, a title currently held by Fast Five, which bowed with an impressive $86.1 million U.S. take in 2011.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/box-office-captain-america-to-cross-100m-worldwide-tonight-on-path-to-80m-to-85m-weekend-divergent-to-cross-100m-noah-in-second-weekend/]

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
I predict that i do not care about predictions, when has a prediction ever been close to being right, other then this prediction about me not caring about prediction because that prediction is 100% correct.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
NickBrahz said:
I predict that i do not care about predictions, when has a prediction ever been close to being right, other then this prediction about me not caring about prediction because that prediction is 100% correct.
That was as big a waste of space as my response to you here man. Damn. Now we both look like fools to like, five people. Let's make paper hats and sail on brother.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I find it slightly funny that DC wanted to "gritty" up Superman and move away from his boy-scout persona that has defined him for nearly a century, to mixed results... while Captain America stays true to its heritage and is being EXTREMELY well received.

I'm seeing it tonight (hopefully). I've heard nothing but good things from my friends overseas.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
This just means I'll wait 2 - 3 weeks before trying to see it. If I can avoid a crowded theater, then I will. Perhaps the drive in will have it double featured with something.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
antidonkey said:
This just means I'll wait 2 - 3 weeks before trying to see it. If I can avoid a crowded theater, then I will. Perhaps the drive in will have it double featured with something.
Take a day off of work and go on a weekday morning. Kiddies and folks off to school/work. Best time to do it :D

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
Makabriel said:
antidonkey said:
Take a day off of work and go on a weekday morning. Kiddies and folks off to school/work. Best time to do it :D
This is what I was planning- catch the first morning show after release, when all the hardcore fans have gone to sleep from midnight shows but everyone else is waiting for the weekend. Then my fiancé opted to switch to the first showing at the last minute so we could go in a bigger group, despite my concerns about crowds... and it turned out, he was right. For whatever reason, the first shows in our area were 8pm Thursday night, which apparently, no one expected. There were about a dozen of us in the whole theatre. It was actually really nice.

So I guess the moral is, know someone who's really good at reading the locals to pick the best show!

Silvver

Aug 21, 2009
I watched this film on Friday 28th Feb and found it so incredibly dull. It had a lot of action and looked fantastic but i cant say i cared about any of the characters and what was happening.

I would expect a lot of people to go see it one time only based on the first movie alone same as i did; but i would say save your money for when its on tv or the dvd bargain bin.

Oddly for a Friday night the theater was empty. People must have assumed it would be packed so early after release and never bothered!

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
In Search of Username said:
That's really, really depressing to me.

Fucking superhero movies man, when will they go away?
I've got to ask, was that tongue in cheek or a, "Stop liking what I don't like!", sort of thing?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good, the new Cap movie is probably the best solo movie yet. It might even be better than The Avengers.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
The latter.

I forgot that negative opinions are not allowed on the internet. Everything is good! All art is equally valid! etc.
It's not a question of all art being equally valid, it's a statement that targets the one decent running of super-hero continuity in movie history. No one makes you watch them, and their success doesn't warrant an up-in-arms response :p There's like, totally nothing at all to go on here, man.

OT:
Whoo. Going to see it sometime next week, but good to hear it's (unsurprisingly) doing well.

Feb 22, 2009
Ferisar said:
No one makes you watch them, and their success doesn't warrant an up-in-arms response :p
No-one makes me watch anything! Doesn't preclude me from having an opinion on it. It's omnipresent. Everyone is talking about it. I'm just one of the ones not saying anything positive.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Ferisar said:
No one makes you watch them, and their success doesn't warrant an up-in-arms response :p
No-one makes me watch anything! Doesn't preclude me from having an opinion on it. It's omnipresent. Everyone is talking about it. I'm just one of the ones not saying anything positive.
I mean... That's... great? I guess? Everyone needs a debbie downer... Or something. I uh... What...

continues to struggle for things to say whilst rapidly losing oxygen

Feb 22, 2009
Ferisar said:
I mean... That's... great? I guess? Everyone needs a debbie downer... Or something. I uh... What...

Are you literally unable to comprehend the idea that anyone might want to express a negative opinion about anything?

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Ferisar said:

Are you literally unable to comprehend the idea that anyone might want to express a negative opinion about anything?
Ever since I joined the glorious Overmind, I've found that expressing negativity only leads to insubordination and increased failure-rate on subjective thinking.

So it was promptly removed.

In seriousness: It's a bit redundant going into the expression of negative opinions as a counter-point to my disagreeing with your opinion using my own opinion.

I think we've kind of established the foundation in that :p

EDIT: Wait, I'm the one that brought up opinions. Fuck. Forget it. I'm done with this argument. You win. Fuck me and(/in) the Big Lebowski.

God damn it.