Captain Marvel Will Become "Earth's First Line of Defense" in New Comic

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
5,449
0
0
Captain Marvel Will Become "Earth's First Line of Defense" in New Comic

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1021/1021259.jpg
Carol "Captain Marvel" Danvers will take command of her own space station and fleet to defend Earth in a new comic launching next month.

With Secret Wars coming to its close, Marvel has started to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141410-Marvel-Launching-45-Comic-Series-After-Secret-Wars#&gid=gallery_4372&pid=1>open the curtain on the "All-New" universe that will taking the place of the two that collided. Case in point, the publisher yesterday released information and images from the first issue of its new <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/12524-Everything-You-Need-To-Know-About-Captain-Marvel>Captain Marvel series. Following the continued adventures of "Earth's Mightiest Hero," the titular Carol "Captain Marvel" Danvers, Marvel is already promising stories that will take the character "to new heights on her most daring mission yet."

Whereas the previous Captain Marvel series was primarily about her duking it out with baddies outside of our solar system, the new book will focus on Danvers taking charge of "the all-new Alpha Flight space program." Intended to serve as "Earth's first line of defense" for its seemingly endless parade of invaders, Danver's new position will find in her in command of an entire fleet in addition to her own considerable powers. As is often the case in the Marvel Universe however, an "unknown enemy" is already waiting in the wings to test her resolve.

[gallery=5225]
Replacing writer Kelly Sue DeConnnick, the new series will be headed up by Agent Carter showrunners Tara Butters and Michelle Fazekas. The series art meanwhile, will be handled by Uncanny X-Men veteran Kris Anka. The first issue of the new <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/captain%20marvel?os=captain+marvel>Captain Marvel will hit comic store shelves on January 20th. Considering how well-received DeConnick's take on the character was, we're willing to bet there will be more than a few fans eager to see how the latest series stacks up.



Permalink
 

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
1,698
0
0
Oh hey, it's Mccoy's ex, Abigail Brand. So she's a part of Carol's fleet huh? A demotion will not suit her well at all.
 

Politrukk

New member
May 5, 2015
605
0
0
I want to say something about feminism and token stuff going down.

but I think this forum will tear me apart for it these days.

The short hair, the cosplay feature, the fact that the Jessica Jones Showrunners are in on this...

Meh these discussions might be leading me to just identify all the signs.
 

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
1,988
0
0
Politrukk said:
I want to say something about feminism and token stuff going down.

but I think this forum will tear me apart for it these days.

The short hair, the cosplay feature, the fact that the Jessica Jones Showrunners are in on this...

Meh these discussions might be leading me to just identify all the signs.
"I want to say that I'm bothered by the focus on a female lead, but people will call me out on it. Just letting you all know."
 

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
802
0
0
Damian Porter said:
That's not Captain Marvel...
Well, yeah, hasn't the real Captain Marvel not been Captain Marvel for half a century...? :p

Anyway, though I may sound like I actually know something about this character, I, err, actually don't. I just wanted to say that first cover (or atleast the image labeled as the first cover?) looks really awesome. Warm yet powerfull colours, a fleet of spacecrafts standing ready in the background, that confident smirk on her face - it makes me want to read the comic. And then maybe buy a poster of that image if possible.
 

Winnosh

New member
Sep 23, 2010
492
0
0
Damian Porter said:
That's not Captain Marvel...
Hope that's a joke about Billy Batson the Captain Marvel from DC. Because Carol Danvers has pretty much been the Real Captain Marvel longer than anyone else in Marvel comics.

As for lol teh feminizm. This is just a continuation of what they've been doing with the character for well nearly a decade.
 

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
802
0
0
Winnosh said:
Hope that's a joke about Billy Batson the Captain Marvel from DC. Because Carol Danvers has pretty much been the Real Captain Marvel longer than anyone else in Marvel comics.

As for lol teh feminizm. This is just a continuation of what they've been doing with the character for well nearly a decade.
Wasn't there a Captain Marval who was a woman and black in the eighties? *googles*

"Monica Rambeau is a fictional character, a superheroine appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. Initially known as Captain Marvel, the character became a leader of the Avengers. She later used the codenames Photon, Pulsar, and, beginning in 2013, Spectrum."

Look at that... How long before someone accuses 'SJWs' of time traveling? Anyone wanna bet?
 

Phil the Nervous

New member
Jun 1, 2014
106
0
0
Winnosh said:
Hope that's a joke about Billy Batson the Captain Marvel from DC. Because Carol Danvers has pretty much been the Real Captain Marvel longer than anyone else in Marvel comics.

As for lol teh feminizm. This is just a continuation of what they've been doing with the character for well nearly a decade.
Not at all. The ORIGINAL Marvel Captain Marvel (Kree Mar-vell) was a hero from 1967. Last time I saw him was in Osborn's Thunderbolts. Danvers is recent.

(Also Monica quit the avengers and heads a superteam called Nextwave. It's ****ing awesome)
 

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 7, 2020
8,577
2,934
118
And the two people heading the project....are from Agent Carter.....
*sighs* well, so much for anything subtle when it comes to gender topics, not to mention double standards I'm sure.

I guess I'll pass on this comic.
 

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
802
0
0
Phil the Nervous said:
(Also Monica quit the avengers and heads a superteam called Nextwave. It's ****ing awesome)
She looks cool (and that rag-rag team of misfits and rejects looks like a lot of fun) and a random person on the internet says it's ****ing awesome - I've had worse reasons for buying comics. However (old) single issues can be very hard to find where I'm from. Is a TPB I can start with?
 

Phil the Nervous

New member
Jun 1, 2014
106
0
0
NPC009 said:
She looks cool (and that rag-rag team of misfits and rejects looks like a lot of fun) and a random person on the internet says it's ****ing awesome - I've had worse reasons for buying comics. However (old) single issues can be very hard to find where I'm from. Is a TPB I can start with?
Sorry friend, I have no idea what a TPB is, but it's definitely old enough to be available online!
They were around during Civil War, after all.

 

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
802
0
0
Phil the Nervous said:
Sorry friend, I have no idea what a TPB is, but it's definitely old enough to be available online!
They were around during Civil War, after all.
Trade Paper Back. Or a collected edition or some such.

Luckily, I just found out they published a new complete collection in September. Might buy myself a copy as a Christmas present. (Because that's totally what responsible adults should be doing: buying themselves comics as presents. No, really. Comics are awesome and when you're that age people are going to give you socks anyway, so you might as well use your new socks fund to buy some comics. It makes perfect sense.)

In any case, thanks! Wouldn't have know about this if you hadn't mentioned it! :)
 

Phil the Nervous

New member
Jun 1, 2014
106
0
0
NPC009 said:
Trade Paper Back. Or a collected edition or some such.

Luckily, I just found out they published a new complete collection in September. Might buy myself a copy as a Christmas present. (Because that's totally what responsible adults should be doing: buying themselves comics as presents. No, really. Comics are awesome and when you're that age people are going to give you socks anyway, so you might as well use your new socks fund to buy some comics. It makes perfect sense.)

In any case, thanks! Wouldn't have know about this if you hadn't mentioned it! :)
That does make perfect sense, Have fun! :D
 

faefrost

New member
Jun 2, 2010
1,280
0
0
NPC009 said:
Winnosh said:
Hope that's a joke about Billy Batson the Captain Marvel from DC. Because Carol Danvers has pretty much been the Real Captain Marvel longer than anyone else in Marvel comics.

As for lol teh feminizm. This is just a continuation of what they've been doing with the character for well nearly a decade.
Wasn't there a Captain Marval who was a woman and black in the eighties? *googles*

"Monica Rambeau is a fictional character, a superheroine appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. Initially known as Captain Marvel, the character became a leader of the Avengers. She later used the codenames Photon, Pulsar, and, beginning in 2013, Spectrum."

Look at that... How long before someone accuses 'SJWs' of time traveling? Anyone wanna bet?
Not only that. atpone point Monica had more published issues under her belt using the name Captain Marvel than any other version of the character name. And Carol is best known to the world by her own name Ms. Marvel. Which she sported for 30 years, before assuming the title of her distaff male counterpart. Which never made much sense to me? I mean technically Carol is a USAF Major or Colonel depending on when you look?
 

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
5,499
0
0
Phil the Nervous said:
Winnosh said:
Hope that's a joke about Billy Batson the Captain Marvel from DC. Because Carol Danvers has pretty much been the Real Captain Marvel longer than anyone else in Marvel comics.

As for lol teh feminizm. This is just a continuation of what they've been doing with the character for well nearly a decade.
Not at all. The ORIGINAL Marvel Captain Marvel (Kree Mar-vell) was a hero from 1967. Last time I saw him was in Osborn's Thunderbolts. Danvers is recent.

(Also Monica quit the avengers and heads a superteam called Nextwave. It's ****ing awesome)
I was so hoping they'd stick with the idea that Mar-Vell should never have been resurrected. Aside from Bucky pre-Winter Soldier, they were the only 2 Marvel comics characters who died and never actually were brought back to life.
The one in the Thunderbolts wasn't actually Mar-Vell though, just a brainwashed Kree with Nega bands. The real Mar-Vell came back later during Chaos War and sacrificed himself then was AGAIN resurrected and sacrificed self during Avengers vs. X-Men. So many bullshit reasons to resurrect a character who earned an eternal rest. Fucking Phoenix force.
 

shintakie10

New member
Sep 3, 2008
1,342
0
0
faefrost said:
NPC009 said:
Winnosh said:
Hope that's a joke about Billy Batson the Captain Marvel from DC. Because Carol Danvers has pretty much been the Real Captain Marvel longer than anyone else in Marvel comics.

As for lol teh feminizm. This is just a continuation of what they've been doing with the character for well nearly a decade.
Wasn't there a Captain Marval who was a woman and black in the eighties? *googles*

"Monica Rambeau is a fictional character, a superheroine appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. Initially known as Captain Marvel, the character became a leader of the Avengers. She later used the codenames Photon, Pulsar, and, beginning in 2013, Spectrum."

Look at that... How long before someone accuses 'SJWs' of time traveling? Anyone wanna bet?
Not only that. atpone point Monica had more published issues under her belt using the name Captain Marvel than any other version of the character name. And Carol is best known to the world by her own name Ms. Marvel. Which she sported for 30 years, before assuming the title of her distaff male counterpart. Which never made much sense to me? I mean technically Carol is a USAF Major or Colonel depending on when you look?
I assume the changeover was because they never ever want to lose the Captain Marvel trademark back to DC, but the Captain Marvel line of comics never does well financially while the Ms. Marvel ones do spectacularly. This way they kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
 

ZeroAxis

New member
Apr 11, 2010
46
0
0
Premise seems cool, art looks good. My ONLY concern is for the MCU version when it finally comes. If Katee Sackhoff isn't Captain Marvel I will riot.
 

Paradoxrifts

New member
Jan 17, 2010
917
0
0
Politrukk said:
I want to say something about feminism and token stuff going down.

but I think this forum will tear me apart for it these days.

The short hair, the cosplay feature, the fact that the Jessica Jones Showrunners are in on this...

Meh these discussions might be leading me to just identify all the signs.
Knowing the signs is half the battle in avoiding boringly bland ideologically motivated dribble.

But then I've never quite understood the exact point of ideologically-driven fiction. Its like walking into a room and finding someone midway through sucking their own cock. The logistics of such an effort can be impressive, but at the end of the day the author is still going to blow their load into their own mouth.

Analogies were never my strong point, vulgarity on the other hand..