Captain Marvel Will Become "Earth's First Line of Defense" in New Comic

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
dirtysteve said:
Happyninja42 said:
And the two people heading the project....are from Agent Carter.....
*sighs* well, so much for anything subtle when it comes to gender topics, not to mention double standards I'm sure.

I guess I'll pass on this comic.
As long as there's nothing as badly written as FemThor, they'll be doing well.

As for Danvers, she's still a relatively recent Captain Marvel, she was Ms.Marvel for most of her incarnation.
If they write it at the same level as Agent Carter, they won't be doing well. It will be just as bad as Female Thor in my opinion.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
joshuaayt said:
Politrukk said:
I want to say something about feminism and token stuff going down.

but I think this forum will tear me apart for it these days.

The short hair, the cosplay feature, the fact that the Jessica Jones Showrunners are in on this...

Meh these discussions might be leading me to just identify all the signs.
"I want to say that I'm bothered by the focus on a female lead, but people will call me out on it. Just letting you all know."
I have to refrain from using bad words here sir because you obviously missed the point.

I actually enjoyed pre-whatever-this-is Carol Danvers and well written and or played female leads are grand, this just smells like the property has been smashed through an ideology press.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Phil the Nervous said:
This seems like pretty obvious trolling.
It seems like a pretty obvious joke to use. Hell, I wasn't even the first to use it:

NPC009 said:
Damian Porter said:
That's not Captain Marvel...
Well, yeah, hasn't the real Captain Marvel not been Captain Marvel for half a century...? :p
Winnosh said:
Damian Porter said:
That's not Captain Marvel...
Hope that's a joke about Billy Batson the Captain Marvel from DC.

Heartsib

Jul 2, 2014
Just saw the previews and solits. It has Alpha Flight in it, so I'm on board. This can't do worse to the Alphans than that rotten limited series.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
On a side note:

Why in the hell is there a picture of Deadpool with what looks like a feathered hairdo from the 80's in the list of shots from the Captain Marvel story? I see no mention of him in it, and it just seems really weird. Also, is that a Fem Deadpool? The art style seems, off to me. I just....I don't get it. Anyone able to elaborate on DP's inclusion?

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
On a side note:

Why in the hell is there a picture of Deadpool with what looks like a feathered hairdo from the 80's in the list of shots from the Captain Marvel story? I see no mention of him in it, and it just seems really weird. Also, is that a Fem Deadpool? The art style seems, off to me. I just....I don't get it. Anyone able to elaborate on DP's inclusion?
It's memes. Deadpool's doing the "...Aliens" guy meme. That's... pretty much what Deadpool is now. Memes.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Phil the Nervous said:
Winnosh said:
Hope that's a joke about Billy Batson the Captain Marvel from DC. Because Carol Danvers has pretty much been the Real Captain Marvel longer than anyone else in Marvel comics.

As for lol teh feminizm. This is just a continuation of what they've been doing with the character for well nearly a decade.
Not at all. The ORIGINAL Marvel Captain Marvel (Kree Mar-vell) was a hero from 1967. Last time I saw him was in Osborn's Thunderbolts. Danvers is recent.

(Also Monica quit the avengers and heads a superteam called Nextwave. It's ****ing awesome)
I was so hoping they'd stick with the idea that Mar-Vell should never have been resurrected. Aside from Bucky pre-Winter Soldier, they were the only 2 Marvel comics characters who died and never actually were brought back to life.
The one in the Thunderbolts wasn't actually Mar-Vell though, just a brainwashed Kree with Nega bands. The real Mar-Vell came back later during Chaos War and sacrificed himself then was AGAIN resurrected and sacrificed self during Avengers vs. X-Men. So many bullshit reasons to resurrect a character who earned an eternal rest. Fucking Phoenix force.
He's Mistaken about Mar-vell. He died in 82 and stayed dead. The character that showed up in Thunderbolts was Gennis Vell, his son.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Winnosh said:
He's Mistaken about Mar-vell. He died in 82 and stayed dead. The character that showed up in Thunderbolts was Gennis Vell, his son.
However they did resurrect Mar-Vell twice after that, during Chaos Wars and then again in Avengers vs. X-Men, as my post said as well as my pointing out the Thunderbolts version not being Mar-Vell but rather Gennis-Vell brainwashed to think he was Mar-Vell. So, no offense, but your post is kinda making me feel like you didn't actually read mine.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
dirtysteve said:
Happyninja42 said:
dirtysteve said:
Happyninja42 said:
And the two people heading the project....are from Agent Carter.....
*sighs* well, so much for anything subtle when it comes to gender topics, not to mention double standards I'm sure.

I guess I'll pass on this comic.
As long as there's nothing as badly written as FemThor, they'll be doing well.

As for Danvers, she's still a relatively recent Captain Marvel, she was Ms.Marvel for most of her incarnation.
If they write it at the same level as Agent Carter, they won't be doing well. It will be just as bad as Female Thor in my opinion.
Yeah Agent Carter leans to heavily on straw misogyny, just another factor that makes the show feel like something from the 90's.
That's because it takes place in the '50s, an era where the misogyny was far from straw. If it took place in say the 90s or something you might have an argument.