Car Accident Takes the Life of Actor Paul Walker

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
hot-soup said:
Who the hell cares? Write about the hundreds if not thousands of "No-names" that die every day from starvation, plague or anything other than he and his friend probably being jackasses in the car, driving far too fast.

God damn I hate articles like this... Hypocrisy all the way! Everyone here thinks this way but everyone is afraid to say anything because they do not want to be banned or get a warning...

Man up people! He deserved it!
Ah yes, how good of you to be the forum's only spokesman on how each and every one of us feel, especially considering you've only been here a month, that was quick of you to synchronize your mind with everyone else's. Painless on our end too. That bit about the moderation was spot on too, nobody ever says anything for fear or warning or banning around here. And now that you've came up with such a stunning argument, I'm sure the universally liked guy who raised quite a bit of money for charity (and was in fact leaving one such charity event), deserved to die because he was the passenger in a car.

Anyway, RIP Paul Walker, he may not have been the greatest actor of all time, but by all accounts he was a great person, and it's tragic to see someone die so relatively young.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
to this day I've never seen the Fast & Furious movies, now I don't think I can, too much irony. I'll probably end up making jokes, but the fact that it evidently wasn't his fault makes me hesitate a bit.

hot-soup said:
Who the hell cares? Write about the hundreds if not thousands of "No-names" that die every day from starvation, plague or anything other than he and his friend probably being jackasses in the car, driving far too fast.

God damn I hate articles like this... Hypocrisy all the way! Everyone here thinks this way but everyone is afraid to say anything because they do not want to be banned or get a warning...

and what if it's someone you know personally? do you treat them with equal indifference because thousands more people you don't know about die every day? the "no-names" you speak of are just that, "no-names" we have nothing to associate them with, it's pretty difficult to feel bad about the thought of people you've never seen, and never will dying especially since everyone knows it happens all the time

this is an entirely different matter, and I suspect you knew that before posting, but one should never make assumptions like that on the internet.

EDIT: before you might think of accusing me of claiming to know him personally, I'm not, I was simply stating that getting upset about someone you have seen and can associate something with dying, such as an actor you've seen in movies and may have enjoyed, is an entirely different thing to knowing that thousands of unseen people die every day, and getting sad about one and not the other is not in any way hypocritical

Nokturos

Nov 17, 2009
Maybe they'll stop making those shitty movies now. The first of december has brought with it hope and wonder!

SonofSpermcube

Aug 10, 2013
blackrave said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
Josh Engen said:
Earlier today, actor Paul Walker, who is most recognizable from his work in The Fast and the Furious, died in a car accident in Southern California.
God dammit universe, stop making be laugh at people dying.

RIP
Yeah...
We both are terrible people :(
If only it had been Jeremy Clarkson, then no one would have to feel bad about laughing at it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
hot-soup said:

Candidate for humanitarian of the year... oh wait... Just because someone is famous doesn't make it any less tragic than starvation or other forms of mortality, nor does it make it hypocritical to say its a sad thing. And maybe the driver was jerking around and lost control, still doesn't mean either of them deserved to die. No one does, by your own account whether they're celebrities or not, no one deserves to die in any horrible way but it happens. And it doesn't make you a better person for tossing out a trite sentiment about "no-name" folks who die, it actually shows a bit of your own insecurity and hypocrisy. Either we treat all death as tragic even the stupid ones, or we leave them alone altogether, but don't trivialize a person's death just because they might be famous. Kudos to you for standing on a soapbox and preaching your own hypocrisy, hope it serves your cynical life well sir or ma'am. BTW, if you really want to read about news like that, there's plenty of sources around the world to fill your cup and if the journalistic flavor of this site isn't to your liking you're welcome to find one that does.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
It is a shame, but based on the pic on page 1 of the vehicles remains, the driver was going way too fast, well and truly over the speed limit. They'd be very lucky if his body if his body was even largely intact. My condolences to his family.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
amaranth_dru said:
First to get the sentiments out of the way, this really sucks because I liked the guy both in his movies and out, and my wife and I love the Fast and Furious series... The irony of this is just horrible, too horrible to make jokes. Also is a grim reminder of Ryan Dunn of the Jackass crew's death. The difference here though is Paul Walker was just a passenger.
This leads me to another point, where people scream about gun control yet more folks are killed in car wrecks yearly than by guns (not taking suicide by gun into account) yet there's little done to make car companies make safer cars. Remember when cars where made of steel, not just the frames? I'll bet most of you don't. And before folk go on about how guns are more dangerous, there's more cars on the road than guns owned and no way to tell if the drivers of those cars are anywhere near responsible drivers. I've been licensed since 15 (learner's permit) and have yet to have an at-fault accident, only 2 one of which was a fender bender and the other where an uninsured illegal immigrant didn't obey a stop sign and pulled out in front of my car totaling it, and the dude sped off and ditched the car and then called it in as stolen.
Plus on a daily basis I see dumbass people who drive like maniacs at high speeds... like going 20 mph over the limit is really going to make a huge difference time-wise... Slow the fuck down, watch out for other people and share the fucking road people. Also lay off driving if you're going to drink, I've lost too many friends to both their own stupidity and other folk's stupidity to feel anything but disappointment and disgust when I hear of these accidents.
You have no idea about modern cars don't you? Modern cars are MUCH safer than old ones. Air bag technology, computer assisted handling and frame designs are much safer than before. Plus all slew of passive and active sensors making it's way to affordable cars. Steel? Carrera GT that Walker died in was mostly made from carbon fiber, much MUCH stronger material than steel, yet it didn't help Paul much. Why? Because no matter how safe car is if you traveling fast enough nothing will save you.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Yelchor said:
While the details involving the crash are sketchy at this point, driving those sorts of luxury sports cars seems like nothing but dangerous. Their whole design appears meant to tempt you into testing it's engines, speed through streets without a care in the world. All it takes is a bit of acceleration and you could easily reach deadly speeds, and no road is without its bumps.

Again, I am not aware of the full picture. Maybe they were driving as responsibly as you possibly could, maybe the fault didn't lie with the driver. But I won't deny the possibility. Maybe they were late and stressed out and weren't thinking as clearly as they perhaps should have. I know it's intruiging to get there a little bit faster and save yourself some time, but it's really not worth the risk of what could happen if all that force would loose control and come to a sudden stop.

In the end, they were the ones that paid most dearly for it. I hope for the best for their families.
Oh come on, don't blame the car for the accident when it's clearly the driver that's at fault.

That's right up there with blaming videogames for everything.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
I guess the universe occasionally has a sense of dark humor. How many celebrities are gonna die in those machines before they all get sensible and start driving Volvos?

But on some realness, considering that he appears to have been a decent guy, this is pretty crappy news. Let this be a lesson.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
hot-soup said:
I honestly cannot believe what I'm reading here. I have no words.
hot-soup said:
Everyone here thinks this way but everyone is afraid to say anything because they do not want to be banned or get a warning...
No, everyone is NOT thinking the same way as you.

Don't you dare speak for everyone, brandishing an opinion like this. Don't you dare.
Speak for yourself, and no one else.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Epic_Bubble said:
As tragic as this story is a question needs to be raised..... How does billions of dollars into engineering for car safety and strength get beaten by the humble wood bearing tree? Is this GTA physics at work?

Geez the irony is strong
1. Most of those billions of dollars goes into making the car faster round a track and not into making the car any safer for its speed.
The car in question was a Porsche Carrera GT, which has a body made of carbon fibre. Carbon fibre enforced polymers are both stronger and lighter than steel when they are of a decent quality. But one rarely sees said quality outside of Formula One racing or aerospace engineering. This means that for the most part you would be better off in a steel based car as steel will buckle and absorb the force of the crash, rather than just shatter into a million tiny pieces leaving your body to take the brunt of it.

2. Never underestimate the power of wood. I've heard people make convincing arguments that the only reason they don't still make cars out of wood is because it requires craftsmanship and therefore more experienced and expensive workers.
If you watch a few cop car chase shows you'll quickly see how much stopping power your average tree has. If the road block couldn't stop them, if the walls of a building couldn't stop them, if telephone poles and lampposts couldn't stop them, then a tree will.
Think about it, a meter thick wall of solid oak/(insert tree type here), anchored into solid ground with roots that go 30 meters deep. A fully loaded 18 wheeler would have trouble knocking that down.

Whenever I crash into a tree in the GTA series for it to inevitably remain standing I can't help but think "props to them, they got it right."

SonofSpermcube said:
If only it had been Jeremy Clarkson, then no one would have to feel bad about laughing at it.
He's like Marmite. Half the population appreciated your joke, the other half cursed you for it.

OT: Sad, but perhaps some good will come of it. Perhaps this will discourage potential boy racers who enjoy the F&F Movies.
Probably not though.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
this makes me think of James Dean, who also died in a Porsche, both actors were known for taking on bad boy roles in their films and both were cut down in their prime. sadly

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Damn the ladies must be pissed/sad, i know a lot of women who watch the fast and furious because they found him and other pretty sexy. I don't think he was a bad actor , let's make a pact with the devil and trade his soul for vin deisel.

On a serious note, news travels fast.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
So, I guy that could was possibly best known for being in a film series involving street racing, dies in a car accident...

Mother fucking irony...

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
hot-soup said:
stormeris said:
"Who the hell cares?" I care. I care about him as much as I care about everyone else who died tragically early. I care as much as anyone else who came into the thread to comment on it. I care about those people as much as you do (I mean, it's not like someone would deliberately show false sincerity while making a point against false sincerity... that would be hypocritical). I don't care about his career, other than the hilarious irony of being famous for playing a professional stunt driver and dying in a car accident. (As one Bender B. Rodriguez once said: "Life is hilariously cruel.")

...but this isn't an obituary for any of those other people. Now, if you two would like to start submitting complete, individual obituary articles for each of those thousands of people (actually tens to hundreds of thousands, if you want to include everyone), then by all means, get to work. I'll be happy to comment on them.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
EHKOS said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
Josh Engen said:
Earlier today, actor Paul Walker, who is most recognizable from his work in The Fast and the Furious, died in a car accident in Southern California.
God dammit universe, stop making be laugh at people dying.

RIP
I know, the irony is fucking insane. And I feel like a dick for saying this, but I feel a sigh of relief that maybe they'll stop making FF movies. WE WERE GOOD AFTER 2, THANKS GUYS.
They made one [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fast_and_the_Furious#Characters] without him. And at the time of its release, it was the highest grossing out of the franchise. I doubt they will stop the series because one actor died. Especially since they were already planning number eight well before his death.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
hot-soup said:

stormeris said:
Pretty much this

Hundreds... Thousands of people die in car accidents every day, heck, most of them are innocent bystanders and not the ones behind the wheel of a speeding vehicle.

But the person that died just happens to be famous, everyone loses their shit and starts weeping condolences.
False equivalencies everywhere in these two posts.

The reason people will pour out sympathy for this guy and not for "Joe Montana, 45, of Ohio" is because this guy is someone who actually has presence outside of his local town. I would hope that if a story about some random schmuck passing away came to light on the internet for some reason, it would garner the same about of sympathy, because at least then I'd be able to start proving my theory of "No empathy on the internet ever about anything" wrong; A theory which you two are only helping to bolster, by the way.

My sympathies go out to his family and friends as well. Want to know the kicker? Before yesterday I'd never even heard of the guy, because I haven't seen a Fast & Furious film or anything else he's ever been in. So no, it's not because he "just happens to be famous", it's because another human being died, and that's a terrible thing.