Card game players, what kind of deck do you use?

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
I used to play MTG I was completely in love with aggro decks- the quicker the better.
Legacy Suicide Black and Kuldotha Red are probably 2 of my all time favourites archetypes, both are just stupidly fun to pilot.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
When I played Yu-gi-oh, I built my entire deck off a two-card combo.

Lava Golem and Spirit Reaper.

Spirit Reaper was a hard to kill monster that only died when a spell, trap or effect was used on it.
Lava Golem was a super strong monster that could only be summoned on your opponents side of the field. Whoever controlled it would take massive damage to their life points every turn.

With unkillable Spirit Reapers on my side of the field and Lava Golems on theirs, I would win as soon as that setup was complete. The rest of my deck was filled with counters to counters (ie cards that would flip the sides of a monster, so I would never have to deal with Lava Golems under my control).

Summed up, I like to leave my opponents annoyed.

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
Had a nice Red Eyes Black Dragon deck for Yu-Gi-Oh...until I lost my Red Eyes Darkness Dragon card at which point the deck became half useless. I had such fond memories with it too, I remember when me and my friend were playing, he managed to stock up about 13k attack points on one of his cards. He was about to attack me until I showed him my trap card, Draining Shield, which converts the attack points into life points for ME...and I believe it also destroys the attacking card. The turn after that I was able to summon my REDD and due to the sheer amount of dragon cards in my graveyard he was powerful enough to take away several games worth of lifepoints. Needless to say he lost in the next turn...God damn I need my REDD back.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
YGO: Dragon Agro. Everthing is either a Dragon or a card that protects a Dragon from destruction effects. This paves the way for my favorite combo if the draws are going in my favor, Dragon's Mirror (Five God Dragon, who I don't believe I've ever seen die in a battle when I use him) and Dimension Fusion, possibly with Future Fusion if I'm very lucky to get going on the very first turn.

Magic: Used to run the Mesacraft combo until it got banned, the rest of my remaining efforts were intent of making a useable themed deck out of Decree of Justice and Angels.

Valid_username

Oct 17, 2011
MTG. Green Stompy Deck will probably always be my favourite, but also quite like my Red/White flying burn deck

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Well, in Yu-Gi-Oh! I currently run a Chaos deck based on removing/banishing my opponents monsters. It uses mostly fairy/angel monsters with various dark monsters. Since a lot of the Dark monsters have to do with death and the end, I call the deck Envoys of Tragedy (One of the cards is Tragoedia which is the embodiment of tragedy). I'd say it's "ace" is Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning which is the reason I made the deck (Since it came off the banned list).

I was running a Plant/Warrior deck in the previous couple of formats because I really like the new Plant cards and a lot of the Warrior Synchro monsters I have are pretty good. I guess the ace here was Black Rose Dragon, but I only had one and it's main use is to blow up the field.

I'm thinking of starting Magic: The Gathering soon as I've seen this Deck Building Toolkit for $20 recently and am learning the basics with the demo of the PC game on Steam.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Magic and WoW:TCG. Basically my goal is to make and play decks that do damage right out of the gate and shut the other play down before they can 'pick up steam' mostly because nearly all my friends like playing as 'control' or 'slow build decks' where after turn 5 or 6 they have all these powerhouses.

I do a zerg rush in TCG form.

Stoike

Jul 12, 2011
Green/Red, Beasts Primarily with a few elves favourite card is probably Magma Phoenix

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
My friends and I like to play the Yu-Gi-Ohs, and I've been working on a Red-Eyes based deck that works by bringing shit back from the dead and then making the stuff that IS dead power the living. It's pretty cool, but I don't have all the cards I need yet to make it really good... which would be more fun if I wasn't just special ordering the ones I want.

Also, poker is fun. I'd explain the deck I use for that, but I assume everyone has already beat that joke into the ground.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
The last card game I got really into was Raw Deal, which went under some time ago. Too bad, too, as I really enjoyed that game.

dagill

Oct 20, 2011
Damn. You can tell who hasn't played Yu-Gi-Oh in years when they all say they played Zombie decks.

I'm running Six Sams at the moment. Some of the stuff you can do with Kizans and a gateway is disgusting. Only problem is they are so unreliable.

Was thinking of making a Destiny Hero deck since Destiny Draw is now back at 2.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Nick Angelici said:
I play yugioh, my deck is a pure hero deck, I love the hero cards and I grew up with heroes as a kid. not only that but my deck is 100% mine, made by me, and tested by me. no meta influence at all.

the whole idea of my deck is to overwhelm their MSTs, solemns, and whatever else they have by giveing myself options all over the place. I have a 1/8th chance of getting a first turn fusion and I have a total of 10 fusing cards from poly to fusion gate.

baically I use my hand, field, grave, and banish zones as option bins to pull monsters in and out off for fusing.
I used to play Yugi-Oh and sometimes I miss playing it. Like you, I hated the Meta game with a passion. Especially since I went to regionals on a regular basis. I was so sick of seeing the same cards constantly. I swear I could tell you every card in some people's decks based on their first turn. Yes, it was that bad. Still, I generally pulled off a solid 4 wins and 4 losses (or was it 3-3? I can't remember how many games regional tournaments had). And the best thing was when my friends and I proved how little those little Meta players actually knew about the game on a couple different occasions.

Anyway, I played a few different decks of my own design. One of my main decks used a variety of cards, but my signature cards were Dark Paladin and Jinzo. It had a variety of dragons, such as Luster Dragon (Atk 1900 Def 1600) and Exploder Dragon (Atk 1000 Def 0; nice kamikaze effect) and Spellcasters like Skilled Dark Magician (Atk 1900 Def 1700; Special summons Dark Magician with 3 spell counters) and Skilled White Magician (Atk 1700 Def 1900; Special Summon Buster Blader with 3 spell counters), as well as Marshmallon and Spirit Reaper (for stall tactics). All in all, I had about 25 monsters, 5 were never played on the field (3 Necro Gardna and 2 King of Swamp), about 13 Spell cards and 2 traps. My strategy could was more of less to beat you down and use clever combinations of cards, like Swords of Revealing Light plus Lightning Vortex while discarding a Necro Gardna that you didn't know was in my hand. And then to use Giant Trunade to put Swords back in my hand. And woe is you if I manage to get Dark Paladin and Jinzo on the field together.

I had other more theme oriented decks, too. A Necrovalley/Gravekeeper beatdown deck, a Cyberdark deck with a serious focus on counter traps, and a Six Samurai deck among others. And yes, I could do pretty good with them all.

As for Magic I had two decks I used last time I played. A green/black elf deck and a blue/black rogue deck (mostly fairies with some goblins). I could do some nice things with those decks. I really like my rogue deck since I could easily beat you in one turn, by which I mean taking you from 20 life to zero in one quick turn, with the right cards. And drawing cards was never a worry.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
my latest deck is more of a vampire deck. i haven't played in a few months, so i need to get some new cards and build a better deck, but yeah, this is my old deck.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Magic player, myself. I've been playing and collecting, off and on, since 1995. So, needless to say, I've mustered up quite a collection. I couldn't possibly tell you what my most common "theme" is as I play the gamut of aggro, control, permission, lock-down, combo, synergistic-combo, etc, etc.

However, I will say that I'm likely what you'd call a Green/Brown(Artifact) mage(player). I tend to lean more towards green-tinted or artifact-laden builds. Though I usually splash for blue and white.

As for the type of build, depends on my mood or card pool. If I'm feeling "frisky", I'll whip up an extremely aggressive aggro deck. If I'm feeling sinsiter or "troll-ish", I'll put together a control/lock-down/permission build. If I'm feeling tricky or chancy, combo deck is my choice. Likewise, I'm every bit a Johnny, Timmy, and Spike player. I like to win but I'm not beyond building around some God awful combo card or ramping up mana to drop a Craw Wurm.

Vardermir said:
I play too much magic, and here is how i know,
Slivers
Elves
Bant
Infect
Artifact
Dredge
Samurai
Burn
Eldrazi

Thankfully, I have a friend with WAY more cards than he knows what to do with
I'm just like you. As I said above, there is no way I could list the decks I play. Even my most "common" ones. Just about every time I sit to play with friends or at a local store/tourney I'll either crack out an old deck (modified with new cards) or just throw together a quick card pool and build a new one. (been designing decks for so long I can throw together pretty high-level builds quickly)

Oddly enough, I'm not overly fond of Draft. You'd think I would be, but it's never that much fun to me. Too much randomness I suppose.

CommanderStone said:
Ah, just my sort of thread :D

Edh/Commander is my favorite format for its laid-back and entertaining environment. Uril is great for a reliable win condition (if not tokens), and Wydwen is a inconspicuous (at first) combo deck.

I also like zoo builds, got a modern/legacy RWG zoo build which I modify depending on the format. I find aggro to be most consistent, though I absolutely love combo :D

And everyone who loves magic, I highly recommend Type 4. It is a blast with lots of people! And you only need one deck to play off of :D
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/feature/198

So yeah, Magic is fun :)
Limited Infinite can be so much fun. But only if every agrees on what cards are allowed and which are "out of bounds". There are some cards that just should NOT be free to cast, lol.

By chance, have you tried Pauper or Modern? Frankly, they're my new favorites. Hands down.

Pauper is a limited format (any type) where in the only real restriction is that every card in your deck must be of common rarity. It's a fun, cheap format that's surprisingly deep and can yield very powerful builds. (especially as you can build a 60 card deck from scratch for a few bucks)

Modern is very much like a cross between Legacy and Extended. The only legal sets are any from 8th Edition and Mirrodin Block onward. Basically, any set with the new design borders. It's effectively like a more balanced Legacy that's "almost" as powerful.

aba1 said:
actually nope megrim and caress are to slow and I punish the opponent for not having cards rather than discarding them that way I don't have to worry about refilling there hand.

Finishers:
4 Quest for the Nihil Stone Burns opponents for there hands being empty
3 Nyxathid Beater that hurts the opponent for having no cards
4 The Rack Burns opponents for having no cards

Removal:
4 smallpox Removal that will make my opponent discard and destroy lands

Discard:
4 Chain of Smog Discard 2 for 1 which is great and I don't care if it emptys both of us anyways
2 Blackmail good 1 drop discard and it will hit anything
4 Inquisition of Kozilek good one drop discard
4 Funeral Charm instant speed discard always good.
4 Hymn to Tourach one of the best discard cards ever printed how could I not have 4

Other
3 Phyrexian arena
4 Dark Ritual well this just sets up fun ass combo's

Ramp and land:
20 Swamp
Odd, I have (had) a deck very much like this. Though mine had some combination of Duress, Despise, Thoughtseize, Surgical Extraction, and/or Castigate. (yeah, mine had a white splash for Vindicate, Tidehollow Sculler, and Gerrard's Verdict.) Along with fan favorite Strip Mine. Still, The Rack is easily the best card in there and still one of my favorites.

Your build also reminds of that deck Chris Pikula built for a Legacy tournament some years ago. It's the deck that showed me what a good discard deck should be. Forget what it was called....

[edit] Found a link. Was called Rogue Deadguy Ale: A Homebrew. http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=41079

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
Vampires from the Eldrazi expansion, and also I had a deck with 4 Polymorphs and 4 Zombify with blue/red/black colours so I can summon more Eldrazi. I added more big creatures along with some Zombie Infestations. That way, I can discard two big monsters to put them on the battlefield with Zombify.