Carnage Shows a Change of Character in Marvel's Axis Event

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Carnage Shows a Change of Character in Marvel's Axis Event

One of the most deranged villains in Spider-Man's rogues gallery will have a change of heart come Marvel's AXIS

The Marvel Universe has no shortage of super-powered villains and would-be conquerors, but none are as unique as Carnage. Exposed to the offspring of the symbiote that bonded to Eddie Brock (because comics are weird [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/9622-Who-Was-That-At-The-End-of-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy]), serial killer Kletus Casady became a monster that eventually crossed paths with Spider-Man and other key characters through the years. His psychopathic nature and joy of killing has caused conflict wherever he went- but this October, Carnage will set his sights on the slightly more amicable practice of hunting criminals in New York City.

It all goes down in the AXIS: Carnage miniseries by writer Rick Spears and artist German Peralta as part of Marvel's upcoming AXIS [http://marvel.com/comics/events/320/axis] event. Spears is a fan of Carnage, citing the character's psychotic and extreme nature as what draws him in. "[During the events of AXIS] he lacks the core compassion a hero needs to empathize with people. He's sort of "chaotic good," if you will. So even when he's trying his best to be a good guy, he's prone to making some seriously bad -- and possibly fatal -- mistakes," the writer said. He also mentioned that readers will be given a glimpse into Carnage's past and origin in the wake of his character inversion, and that the supporting cast will be kept tight.

"We open with him trying to be a hero and failing pretty miserably at it so he kidnaps er -- enlists some help from Alice, a TV reporter who he thinks is a good person and who can show him how to act like a hero," Spears said. "The Sin-Eater [http://www.comicvine.com/sin-eater/4005-11206/] is going to be our antagonist, but it's not exactly the Sin-Eater you know. He's back, in a new way. He still wears the green balaclava and carries the shotgun, but there is a mystery around who is really under the mask." Other opposing forces targeting Carnage include "a small army of NYPD cops and possibly a National Guard fighter jet or two".

AXIS: Carnage will hit comic shops and bookstore shelves in October.

Source: Comic Book Resources [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55591]

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
@008Zulu:
I don't think that's what they're really going for.

Sounds like they're go to try and go for the whole 'Bad guy wants to be good guy, but it so bad he fails at it, and HARD'.

^_^

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
This is awesome. Carnage has always been one of those characters that I have been a fan of, but I can admit the possibilities for stories with him are rather limited. He can't plan, he can't empathize, he has no personal connection to any real Marvel characters (bessides venom, but even that is rather boring), because he has no real distinctive talents outside of being dangerous, there is no logical reason for anyone to try to work with or work under him. He would have been most effective as a one off event character; have him do one of his trademark murder sprees, have him kill a major character or two and then Spiderman, or someone else kills him, and Spiderman doesn't stop them or something that tests (or breaks) Spiderman's morals just as much.

BUT the idea of someone who lacks a conscience trying everything they can do to get one is pretty fascinating to me. No body WANTS to be a psychopath, so it seems like an obvious storyline to explore to try to give the character some much needed depth.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I gotta say, having Carnage try to be good seems like you're taking away the entire point of his character.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
So... they are turning Carnage into... Venom?

Cause... that's what Venom does... he kills bad guys... and hates Spiderman.

edit:

Or more accurately, this is what Venom did... I don't keep up with this anymore, so he might have changed, especially now that he's a villain again, being bonded to whatever the scorpion's real name is.

Edit x2:

Also... the Sin-Eater sounds like Demogoblin, sorta.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
DrunkenElfMage said:
He can't plan, he can't empathize, he has no personal connection to any real Marvel characters (bessides venom, but even that is rather boring), because he has no real distinctive talents outside of being dangerous
I wonder why they call him Carnage... :p

BUT the idea of someone who lacks a conscience trying everything they can do to get one is pretty fascinating to me. No body WANTS to be a psychopath, so it seems like an obvious storyline to explore to try to give the character some much needed depth.
I think The Joker would disagree with you on that one.

Queen Michael said:
I gotta say, having Carnage try to be good seems like you're taking away the entire point of his character.
Which is defined by the first quote in this post. Carnage is meant - by name - to cause carnage. That's what he does, and that's what he's good at. I always liked him because he was basically The Joker but with symbiote powers...and not as funny. Their motivations were similar, though: cause chaos and destruction just for the sake of chaos and destruction. So yeah, take that away from him and you're literally taking the carnage out of Carnage.

So to sum things up, I'll quote another person's sentiments in this topic:
Draconalis said:
So... they are turning Carnage into... Venom?

Cause... that's what Venom does... he kills bad guys... and hates Spiderman.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Holy shit, a Sin-Eater? We're getting a New World of Darkness crossover? Sweet!
Also, why is it called AXIS?

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
So they're doing the exact same thing they did with Deadpool? Is this cause Maleficent was a hit?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This actually sounds like a ripoff of a bunch series of miniseries (if you will) for Venom back in the late 90's where he basically is only interested in eating the brains of a criminals in a bid to do good. At one point it lead to the death of the Venom symbiote... but you know, comics.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm always wary when "Chaotic Good" comes up, especially when you're talking about someone like Cassidy.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Ditto. I mean, he's a psychopath. He has no empathy and only the loosest grip on reality and his only personal interest is diverse and interesting ways of taking other people's lives. Speaking as someone who studied psychology for a while (keep in mind, I could be wrong on this point, but from what I remember, I don't think I am), not only do I know for a fact a character like Carnage would fail miserably at trying to be a hero, but I don't believe a character like Carnage could even conceive of trying to be a hero. A man without empathy is a man incapable of caring about people or having any motivation to help them unless it served some greater end for himself.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Nooooo. Carnage is my favourite Spider-Man villain. Don't try and make him a hero.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I always liked that Carnage was this white trash serial killer who killed a bunch of people and was tracked down by the F.B.I. because they generally do with guys that impulsive. Kind of guy who would pump gas and wait for someone to come along who he thought was worth killing. Giving him the symbiote was finally giving him the power that a lot of serial killers dream of and how it makes them feel when they kill. Like they are super powered demons who can rip apart all the cops and doctors that locked him up. Dark desire made reality. If Spider-Man was the average nerdy teenager's fantasy. Carnage was the kid who skinned cats alive's fantasy.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
slimbiggins said:
Isn't this just Dexter?
That what I thought of too!

Also who is the new Carnage host anyway? Last time I've check it was a woman.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Mods are Cunts said:
Venom's been bonded to Flash Thompson for over 3 1/2 years and is currently a member of the Guardian's of the Galaxy as the Avengers liaison.
This sounded so stupid I honestly thought you were fucking with me and had to look it up.

Holy shit... I'm sorry I doubted you... and it still sounds stupid.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Flash Thompson Venom is a very cool character and adds nice depth to both characters. I really liked the few issues I read of it. I dunno about this whole Guardians OF The Galaxy thing. But I guess they are the hot ticket at the moment.