Carrie Fisher Says Discontinuing "Slave Leia" Merchandise is "Stupid"

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Morti said:
It's just some suit deciding that "tits sell" again.
Actually, surprisingly, not even that. It was Carrie Fisher of all people who asked for it because she wanted to showcase her body.

Furnicula

May 20, 2015
RJ 17 said:
erttheking said:
Can we just say this whole controversy was a giant waste of time and we need to stop thinking about tits for five seconds?
No! We must keep taking these things like the massive controversies that they are! SJWS AND THEIR COMPLETELY VAGUE YET ABSOLUTE POWER OVER SOCIETY! It's just like how they got a game that absolutely no one cares about BANNED from western releases!

DAMN YOU SJWS!!!!!

/sarcasm...just to be clear. :p
You couldn't possibly have it any clearer than this, somehow I believe you'll still find a reason for how he is "lying" or to misdirect: http://operationrainfall.com/2015/12/04/interview-haru-akenaga-masashiro-yamamoto/
In recent video game news Team Ninja PR has announced that they are not planning on releasing Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 here due to how the sexualization of women in video games is viewed in the West. Does this issue ever affect your process of choosing which games will be released in the West?

Haru ? That?s honestly their decision, but yes, sadly, it has stopped us from localizing certain Compile Heart games. We don?t want to censor anymore because we know that?s not true to the original developed art.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
erttheking said:
Can we just say this whole controversy was a giant waste of time and we need to stop thinking about tits for five seconds?
That's like telling someone, "Don't think about pink elephants." All they're gonna do from then on is think about pink elephants.

Now, every five seconds, I'm going to be thinking about tits. I don't know that I'll be able to get them off my mind, even.

And....I'm not sure I'm bothered by that fact. So, thanks, I guess? I don't know. I'm confused and my pants feel funny.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
Well heck, it's her visage we're talking about. Morally speaking, it makes sense that she has the last say in the matter. I mean someone else owns the rights to the character and the merchandising and stuff, but if we're talking about it as a moral issue, that pretty much wraps it up.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Furnicula said:
RJ 17 said:
erttheking said:
No! We must keep taking these things like the massive controversies that they are! SJWS AND THEIR COMPLETELY VAGUE YET ABSOLUTE POWER OVER SOCIETY! It's just like how they got a game that absolutely no one cares about BANNED from western releases!

DAMN YOU SJWS!!!!!

/sarcasm...just to be clear. :p
You couldn't possibly have it any clearer than this, somehow I believe you'll still find a reason for how he is "lying" or to misdirect: http://operationrainfall.com/2015/12/04/interview-haru-akenaga-masashiro-yamamoto/
In recent video game news Team Ninja PR has announced that they are not planning on releasing Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 here due to how the sexualization of women in video games is viewed in the West. Does this issue ever affect your process of choosing which games will be released in the West?

Haru ? That?s honestly their decision, but yes, sadly, it has stopped us from localizing certain Compile Heart games. We don?t want to censor anymore because we know that?s not true to the original developed art.
So rather than censoring their game so that no one will complain about it, they've chosen the path of self-censorship via not releasing it to regions where there might be complainers.

Or they could have...you know...said "screw all the haters, we're releasing our game in the West regardless of what some bloggers on the internet might say about it" and released it anyways. Countless games have proven that controversy will drive sales, not detract from them. GTA proved it when it was just getting started. Dragon's Crown proved it when it came out and said "Yeah, our sorceress's tits are that big. Ask us if we care what you think!" Hell, even Hatred proved it by making a game about going on a murdering rampage in a time when our society is dealing with real life murder-rampages all too often. And now Play-Asia has proven it by stirring up controversy over DoAX3.

Any game developer with any sense should simply release their game with bold pride, completely unconcerned about what any nae-sayers might say about it. From a business standpoint, if anything the best choice is to release it to the world, get the people who are going to cry about it to start crying, and poof: you've got the best free marketing campaign you could have ever hoped for.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Eh. I can't fault her reasoning.
Sex sells, and some people are offended by that very concept...including Disney, who above all other media companies in existence, has the longest and "richest" history of white washing their products and company image.

(try asking them about 'Song of the South'; it's hilarious)
Now I just want to travel to the US with a truck-load of Bonbon candy from my home (Denmark), and hand it out to kids.

More specifically I'll be handing out this.

Just FYI, they're called "Store Babser" which basically translates to "Big Boobs", or "Great Tits", and yes they're considered 100% Family Friendly here in Denmark.

EDIT:

Also, Carrie Fisher is right.

The Slave Leia outfit is probably the most famous icon of a "Damsel in Distress", undamselling herself.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Or they could have...you know...said "screw all the haters, we're releasing our game in the West regardless of what some bloggers on the internet might say about it" and released it anyways.
Its pretty disingenuous to present it as "some bloggers on the internet".

Its the bulk of the mainstream gaming press that writes articles like that. Coupled with the kind of people who send death threats to developers and fill their e-mail accounts and social media with hatred and accusations of being sexist. There's a HUGE amount of regressive, conservatively-minded, sex-negativism going around at the moment.

You really don't think some developers might want to just avoid that whole thing?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I am amused by the thought of the feminazis who think that getting rid of the matriarchal chains that oppress strong female characters, or whatever they spew onto the internet.

I mean Princess Leia is a kick-ass character. From her 'rescue', she grabs a gun from one of her 'rescuers' shoots out the garbage chute grill and jumps in. She is the one who killed Jabba with the same chain he held her by. She is a strong character and the slave bikini is a part of her character. Do you really think for a second she wasn't plotting how to escape in a way that wouldn't result in her immediate death?

Keep the bikini merchandise and don't cave to these wannabe feminists. Princess Leis Organa is a feminist icon, and anyone who thinks otherwise is hugely mistaken. /rant

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I agree with Fisher. This is stupid. We now live in a overprotective nanny state where everything that could potentially be offensive is swiftly shoved under a rug. Jesus, any parent who'd complain about slave Leia better not take their kid to a swimming pool, they might see a bikini.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Atmos Duality said:
Eh. I can't fault her reasoning.
Sex sells, and some people are offended by that very concept...including Disney, who above all other media companies in existence, has the longest and "richest" history of white washing their products and company image.

(try asking them about 'Song of the South'; it's hilarious)
That to me seems to be the more interesting discussion we could be having out of this. Are Disney right to discontinue their politically incorrect stuff? Things like Songs of the South, or that racist centaur deleted from Fantasia, or the editing of that song from Aladdin. Those were all things that pissed people off, so Disney obligingly got rid of them. On one hand it is nice how Disney is receptive to criticism, but on the other you could argue it is throwing the baby out with the bath water, making it impossible for people to get the original product. Some people might actually like the film Song of the South, or at least want to see it, but its very hard to get your hands on. I saw it on tv a couple of times back in the 90s, and my generation will probably be the last to ever see it (piracy, notwithstanding).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Lightspeaker said:
You really don't think some developers might want to just avoid that whole thing?
Oh I understand their concerns, I just don't agree with it. It's the same reason you never cave in to terrorist demands: you just prove that those kind of BS harassment tactics actually work.

It's the same as that "anti-online harassment" panel that go canceled because of...online harassment. All they did was show that apparently online harassment is a fantastic way to silence those you disagree with.

No, you should release your game with your head (and middle finger, if necessary) held high and let the market - not the media - decide what should sell and what shouldn't sell. And if a few overly sensitive bloggers and media outlets get butt-hurt in the process: screw'em. By refusing to release your game to a western market for fear of "bad press" all you do is prove yourself to be a coward.

...beyond that there's still the point that controversy over a game breeds sales.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I can understand disney not wanting to make say kids toys/merch featuring that version of the character but banning it outright across the board seems pretty dumb as the actress herself said.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
canadamus_prime said:
We now live in a overprotective nanny state where everything that could potentially be offensive is swiftly shoved under a rug.
Hyperbole. If we did live in a nanny state we'd be seeing a lot more radical changes being made, not downright mundane and trivial ones like this.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Regarding the man who wouldn't know what to tell his daughter about the outfit, would he also be unable to explain why his wife might wear a bikini to the beach?
Obviously one outfit is forced on and one is voluntary, but Jabba the Hutt being a gross kind of tyrant is a pretty good story reason for the outfit, how dare he defile a princess etc...

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I agree with her. You can't empower women by sticking them in a gilded cage and never let anything bad happen to them. Like she says, something bad happened to Leia and Leia dealt with it and came out on top. She wouldn't have been half as interesting of a character if she didn't face some form of adversity.

erttheking said:
Considering a collective population of 7 billion people live on this planet, chances are SOMEONE is going to be thinking about tits at any given moment.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
cikame said:
Regarding the man who wouldn't know what to tell his daughter about the outfit, would he also be unable to explain why his wife might wear a bikini to the beach?
Obviously one outfit is forced on and one is voluntary, but Jabba the Hutt being a gross kind of tyrant is a pretty good story reason for the outfit, how dare he defile a princess etc...
Plus, people tend to grossly overestimate how perceptive your average kid is to sexual undertones. No child (prior to puberty, anyway, but by that point a parent has way more problems to deal with than questions about a character's outfit) is going to give particularly special thought to wardrobe choices, and if they did, they certainly wouldn't connect the dots that it was something perverted unless their parents explained it as such to them (or, more likely, reacted in such a flustered and shocked manner that they could readily guess that they'd stumbled upon something naughty. Kids aren't experienced enough to know what's sexy, but they're empathetic enough to know when there's something mommy and daddy don't want them to know!)

Having kids has made me feel strangely sorry for them. They're simultaneously smarter and more naive than people give them credit for.

That said, Disney's nigh-puritanical, take-no-risks approach to their IPs is well-known by now. I can't even really say they're being overly-thorough in their approach, either, since they have a lot of very vocal, very conservative people ready to raise hell over the slightest deviation on their part. Just look at the controversy that happened with Good Luck, Charlie... which resulted in grown-ass adults sending threats and curses to a 5 year old girl.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
"And then I killed him because I didn't like it."
Also, because he was a horrible gangster who casually murdered innocent people for the amusement of others.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
balladbird said:
cikame said:
That said, Disney's nigh-puritanical, take-no-risks approach to their IPs is well-known by now. I can't even really say they're being overly-thorough in their approach, either, since they have a lot of very vocal, very conservative people ready to raise hell over the slightest deviation on their part. Just look at the controversy that happened with Good Luck, Charlie... which resulted in grown-ass adults sending threats and curses to a 5 year old girl.
It's not just conservatives. Plenty of people have gone after Disney with liberal causes, too. Simple truth is, Disney is such a huge group with such a wide range of influence that everybody wants to take a bite out of them, if only to draw more attention to themselves or their cause.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
VanQ said:
I agree with her. You can't empower women by sticking them in a gilded cage and never let anything bad happen to them. Like she says, something bad happened to Leia and Leia dealt with it and came out on top. She wouldn't have been half as interesting of a character if she didn't face some form of adversity.

erttheking said:
Considering a collective population of 7 billion people live on this planet, chances are SOMEONE is going to be thinking about tits at any given moment.
Let me rephrase that then. We need to stop collectively obsessing over tits in really absurd ways.

Also can I say at least one thing. Leia killing Jabba was a majorly awesome moment for Leia. The merchandise around it however...doesn't really reflect that. At all. It's annoying really. Not saying it shouldn't exist, just that I find it kinda sleazy. Annnnnnd I'm undermining my own point a wee bit.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
erttheking said:
canadamus_prime said:
We now live in a overprotective nanny state where everything that could potentially be offensive is swiftly shoved under a rug.
Hyperbole. If we did live in a nanny state we'd be seeing a lot more radical changes being made, not downright mundane and trivial ones like this.
It may be hyperbole, but it's still ridiculous.