Carrie Fisher Will Appear in Episode IX, Brother Confirms

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Carrie Fisher Will Appear in Episode IX, Brother Confirms

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1374/1374608.png
Carrie Fisher's brother Todd Fisher has confirmed his sister's appearance in third movie of the new Star Wars trilogy.

The passing of Carrie Fisher caused somewhat of a conundrum for the future of Star Wars, given that her Princess Leia character is so pivotal to the plot. While all of her scenes for Episode VIII have been filmed and completed, her role in Episode IX, which hasn't yet started production, is more up in the air. Lucasfilm previously confirmed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169272-No-CGI-Carrie-Fisher-Planned-for-Future-Star-Wars#&gid=gallery_6802&pid=1] that permission has been given for her to appear in the film in some way.

Fisher told Conifdential [http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/late-carrie-fisher-final-star-wars-movie-article-1.3030154] that he and Carrie's daughter, Billie Lourd, have granted the studio rights to use recent footage for the finale. "Both of us were like, 'Yes, how do you take her out of it?' And the answer is you don't," he said.

"She's as much a part of it as anything and I think her presence now is even more powerful than it was, like Obi Wan - when the saber cuts him down he becomes more powerful. I feel like that's what's happened with Carrie. I think the legacy should continue."

Fisher says that he is not aware to what extent her sister will feature in the movie. Disney had previously stated that Leia would have a "large role" in Epsiode IX.

Source: Confidential [http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/late-carrie-fisher-final-star-wars-movie-article-1.3030154]

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Episode 11? You mean Episode 9...the "I" comes before the "X."

EDIT: There we go. You've taken your first step into a more grammatically correct world.

In any case, it seems not even death can stop the Star Wars train from chugging along. I guess I'm okay with it if the family and/or estate gives their blessing like this, and Carrie seemed like the kind of person who would be fine with it. They can probably make a decent CGI General Leia if Rogue One's cameos are any indicator.

Still won't make it awkard/sad when I see her likeness in the films, though.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
So... she's going to appear in a movie that hadn't even started filming before she, y'know, died?

Did I get that right?

Ohhhhhh, this is going to get really cringe-inducing. I can just see it coming. I'm experiencing pre-cringe.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
So... did she film any scenes before her death, or is there some other method they're going with? I hope Leia at least reunites with Luke in this upcoming next movie, otherwise it's gonna be depressing...

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Am just glad that they didn't decide to kill the character off. Would still prefer them to hire a replacement actress.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
she's either going to show up as a force ghost or an awful cgi background character in some kind of medal distribution scene

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It's most likely that parts of the movie will be re-written to accommodate her scenes, which are likely going to be unused footage from movies 7 and 8.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
My guess, coming from a crass and cynical individual? Leia will die. Maybe early on in the movie.

008Zulu said:
It's most likely that parts of the movie will be re-written to accommodate her scenes, which are likely going to be unused footage from movies 7 and 8.
Or this. It's a possibility.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Hollywood shoots a lot of B roll footage. Add in some editorial shenanigans and dubbing and I could see it turning out alright.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
WHAT

THEY SAID THEY WOULDN'T DO THAT [http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/14/star-wars-will-not-be-using-cgi-to-recreate-late-princess-leia-actress-carrie-fisher-6380835/]

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
bastardofmelbourne said:
WHAT

THEY SAID THEY WOULDN'T DO THAT [http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/14/star-wars-will-not-be-using-cgi-to-recreate-late-princess-leia-actress-carrie-fisher-6380835/]
They never said they're going to use CGI. They even say that again in this article.

Edit: Looking forward to it. I doubt they've already filmed her scenes, but I'm sure they'll figure something out that isn't CGI. Ep. 7 B-Roll, probably. Or a deleted scene or something.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
CellShaded said:
bastardofmelbourne said:
WHAT

They never said they're going to use CGI. They even say that again in this article.

Edit: Looking forward to it. I doubt they've already filmed her scenes, but I'm sure they'll figure something out that isn't CGI. Ep. 7 B-Roll, probably. Or a deleted scene or something.
Using leftover closeups, re-edited dialogue takes, and a stunt double for non-face scenes (or shots with enough visuals to distract), probably. More or less how they finished The Crow after Brandon Lee died mid-filming.

I would assume the role itself will be a bit reduced to original plans.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
There'll just be an unused still shot of her from the first movie with a voice-over of her ordering pizza over the phone.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Yay! It's gonna be Grand Moff Tarkin all over again! Who needs living actors when you can just CGI up their ghosts! :D

Hold onto your Cheesy-Poofs, everyone! We're heading back to the bottom of the Uncanny Valley!

Benny the Jew said:
They've already promised no CGI, so they're going with claymation. I just know it.
They promised that they weren't going to do anything with Leia and because of that Episode IX was going through MASSIVE re-writes. Apparently it's easier to go back on your word than to be forced into drastically changing the plot.

To be fair...it actually is easier to do that considering how integral Leia is to the story, so I don't necessarily blame them. But now that they've confirmed that they're just going to say "Screw it! We're keeping her in there!" all bets are officially off in terms of how they do this.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
She was a great actress, her filmed scenes for #8 should definitely be shown. I can't imagine Carrie wanting them hidden away.

As for #9, recast her.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Yay! It's gonna be Grand Moff Tarkin all over again! Who needs living actors when you can just CGI up their ghosts! :D

Hold onto your Cheesy-Poofs, everyone! We're heading back to the bottom of the Uncanny Valley!

Benny the Jew said:
They've already promised no CGI, so they're going with claymation. I just know it.
They promised that they weren't going to do anything with Leia and because of that Episode IX was going through MASSIVE re-writes. Apparently it's easier to go back on your word than to be forced into drastically changing the plot.

To be fair...it actually is easier to do that considering how integral Leia is to the story, so I don't necessarily blame them. But now that they've confirmed that they're just going to say "Screw it! We're keeping her in there!" all bets are officially off in terms of how they do this.
They stated already (and again in this article) that they wouldn't recreate her with CGI.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Winnosh said:
Am just glad that they didn't decide to kill the character off. Would still prefer them to hire a replacement actress.
Given how engaging she apparently was (not to mention how iconic the character was and how synonymous Fisher is with Leia), I'm not sure any of the cast who worked with her or simply spent any time with her would want a recast.

I feel it'd be rather distracting in the final product for audiences, too, and it's already going to be a little weird.

...also: if they're going to include real-Carrie in the remaining films, could they decide to give Rogue One a different end and edit out CG-Leia? 'Cause it's just bad, and--- well, jarring.