Carrie Fisher Won't Be Digitally Recreated in Future Star Wars Films

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Carrie Fisher Won't Be Digitally Recreated in Future Star Wars Films

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1374/1374586.jpg

There will not be a CGI Carrie Fisher for future Star Wars films.

As audiences still mourn over the a statement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169139-Carrie-Fisher-Has-Died-at-60] responding to the "speculation."

We don't normally respond to fan or press speculation, but there is a rumor circulating that we would like to address. We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher's performance as Princess or General Leia Organa.

Carrie Fisher was, is, and always will be a part of the Lucasfilm family. She was our princess, our general, and more importantly, our friend. We are still hurting from her loss. We cherish her memory and legacy as Princess Leia, and will always strive to honor everything she gave to Star Wars.

So, there you have it. The plan, at least right now, is for there to be no digital recreation of Paul Walker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/carrie+fisher] treatment. And, as tasteful as that was, I think this is the right decision. How about you?

[gallery=6802]

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Honestly, this is probably a good idea, at least for a long time. The wound is still fresh so giving it some time to heal is good.

Ezekiel said:
What I expected. If Rogue One had come out two months later, it wouldn't have her bad CG cameo. Now to see if Episode IX pays its respects in a way that benefits the story.
I feel that would have been a welcomed addition, at least from me. It was a brief moment that oddly gave me some sort of sense of closure, however weird that may sound.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Ezekiel said:
The Enquirer said:
Honestly, this is probably a good idea, at least for a long time. The wound is still fresh so giving it some time to heal is good.

Ezekiel said:
What I expected. If Rogue One had come out two months later, it wouldn't have her bad CG cameo. Now to see if Episode IX pays its respects in a way that benefits the story.
I feel that would have been a welcomed addition, at least from me. It was a brief moment that oddly gave me some sort of sense of closure, however weird that may sound.
I find it hard to think of an ending because I don't believe this story even needed to be told. But perhaps it could have ended with
the heroes dying on the beach. The last three or four minutes felt odd, partly because Vader and Leia were barely present in the movie. I like how this YouTuber compares Vader's murder scene to the movie Glory:

I was actually suggesting the ending gave some weird sense of closure with Carrie's death.

Personally I was actually a huge fan of it, granted I had been reading the expanded universe books and comics and playing the games for years, so it was neat seeing those things come together on screen.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
The ending was one of the few good moments of the movie. Honestly, the CG gets better and better and I was pleased by both CG-actor appearances in the movie. But maybe that's because almost everything else of that movie sucked big time and I miss the motherfucking 30 Euros I spent on it.

One thing is that those CG-reenactments just aren't the performances of the actors in question. Still, I think it's in part necessary for story-telling reasons. What happens to Leia now if she doesn't die in IIX? Will she just vanish/die off-screen? Sure, the movie industry simply isn't far enough in order to make CG-characters that are supposed to look life-like as believable, but maybe so 15-20 years in the future.

As a story fan first in general, I see the necessity to do so. Leia is too big to just vanish and/or die off-screen or in a book.

But then again, I'm one of those people who sees video games as the supreme medium due to its combination of every art on top of the unique immersive capabilities due to interactivity. When video games will take over the main focus of story-telling, this medium will be the way to go to give Leia the proper good-bye. Or even more stories with hopefully someone who can immitate Fisher's voice 1-1. Which by its nature is something like the topic at hand, resurrecting a dead actor through CG.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I wonder if they're going to recast, and if they do, who will they choose?

Disney and LucasFilms must be going out of their minds trying to think of what to do. As jarring a recast would be, it would still be preferable to an off-screen death or recycled footage.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Would her character become a force ghost if the explanation they chose is that Leia died?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I think this is a wise choice, I have plenty of faith in the technology - which is getting better all the time - but this one of those 'Ian Malcolm' moments where the decision isn't "Can we do this?" but "Should we do this?".

I do hope her absence is meaningfully addressed on screen; I remember feeling particularly salty with the last Pierce Brosnan James Bond film ignoring the passing of Desmond Llewellyn by doing something like having Bond going down to Q-Branch to return a gadget, in working order this time, only be told that Q has passed away while he was on the mission.

Sorry, drifted there for a bit. Anyway, a meaningful, on screen send off would be most appropriate and a good way for us bleeting masses to get closure for the fate of Leia Organa, while leaving the Fisher family to get their closure in private and away from the rest of us.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ezekiel said:
Bob_McMillan said:
I wonder if they're going to recast, and if they do, who will they choose?

Disney and LucasFilms must be going out of their minds trying to think of what to do. As jarring a recast would be, it would still be preferable to an off-screen death or recycled footage.
I would prefer an off-screen death over a recast. Her face is too iconic. Episode IX might start with a funeral, like the ending of Jedi, after the crawl explains briefly what happened. Or, Rey or Luke could feel her death through the force in the beginning of the movie, after the general's battleship is destroyed in a messy battle, a great loss to the Rebellion. It would be realistic in a way, not showing her death because she was one of many who gave their lives in that battle.
Well, we don't know what's going on in Episode 8, but I am certain that her arcs, especially with Kylo Ren, are not finished. An off screen death, especially at the start of the movie, might not even be feasible.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Probably for the best.

Apparently all of Carrie's scenes have already been filmed for Episode 8, but I am really interested to see what they do with the character, afterwards. Its obvious that they cant just recast her, and they're not going to do a CGI recreation, but at the same time, I'd be disappointed with an offscreen death or retirement, as the character deserves a lot more than "Oh bye the way, shes gone now".

I don't envy the script writers, as they've written themselves into a hole with killing Han Solo, but I for one am voting for the return of Lando as the General of the Resistance.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess this means they are rewriting the script for the 9th movie now since she was involved alot in the plot.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Good.

To avoid mod wrath for low content, what this tells me is that she was going to be killed off in Ep8 anyway. I guess it kinda spoils a big part of the story, but I'd rather have a bit of the story spoiled than have a CGI recreation of a character that means so much to so many.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
That's probably for the best. Though I wonder if they'll at least give her a decent send-off in the next movie. I hope so...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ezekiel said:
find it hard to think of an ending because I don't believe this story even needed to be told. But perhaps it could have ended with.
<spoiler= I though Vader was awesome and fitting> I thought his appearance at the end of Rogue 1 was more or less perfect. Initially it establishes Krennic's place as a Lackey. Then right at the end his unstoppable march through the Rebels shows of the scale of the threat Vader presents in person, plus the fact that with Krennic's utter failure Vader is taking charge of the situation personally.

Vader standing in the docking bay watching Tantive IV make it's escape should have been the very last shot of the movie. It also adds an extra layer of menace to Vader's presence, taking Rogue One as his establishing scenes, his appearance in A New Hope is even more intimidating.

Now, Tarkin and Leia's appearances I take issue with. Tarkin should have appeared but not spoken, he's the man behind the man and his identity should have stayed a 'mystery' until A New Hope. All he needs to do is stand in the back of the shot, whisper to his Executive Officer and the Officer carries out his orders (test firing, usurping Krennic etc).

Leia's final scene was unnecessary, it served no better purpose than fan service, even in a very, very fan servicey film.

But Vader? Vader was exactly right.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Something i think would be very fitting for Carrie.

Have EP 9 open with the text crawl as normal, which tells us she died during a mission or First Order raid, and have the film open up with her funeral. Honestly i can't think of any other way they could do it.

MonsterCrit said:
They have not nixed the idea of the character being played by another actor though.
I highly doubt they will do that, Peter Cushing as Tarkin was different, he clearly had to be in the film (a hologram might of been better but whatever) But he's been dead for 23 years and they had to get permission, remember another actor was playing him, they just CG'd over him to make him look more like Tarkin. Carries death is still fresh in her family's and fans lives, if they aren't going to CG her in ep 9 out of her respect i highly doubt they will get someone else to play her.