Cartoon Networks Says "Go Planet" to Live-Action Captain Planet Movie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cartoon Networks Says "Go Planet" to Live-Action Captain Planet Movie

The show's environmental message is more relevant than ever, says the movie's producer.

Eco-friendly kids show, Captain Planet is all set to make a comeback, more than twenty years after it was first broadcast. Cartoon Network has signed a deal with producers Don Murphy and Susan Montford, and their company Angry Filmworks, to bring a live-action version of the environmentally-themed superhero to the big screen.

The original cartoon featured five kids - called the "Planeteers" - coming together to fight against pollution with magic rings imbued with the elements of Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, and Heart, and given to them by Gaia, the spirit of the Earth. If the Planeteers, who came from all over the world, encountered a threat they couldn't deal with by themselves, they could combine their powers and summon the titular Captain Planet. As you might imagine, he popped up a lot. The show had a rather colourful rogues gallery too, many of whom were metaphors. Hoggish Greedly represented over consumption, for example, while Duke Nukem - a different one - was a stand in for the problem of radioactive waste. The show first aired in 1990 and ran for six seasons.

Murphy said that he was excited to bring the character back to life, and that the show's environmental message was even more pertinent than it was twenty years ago. He was confident that the movie could be both relevant and entertaining. Murphy's previous work has included movies like From Hell and the Transformers trilogy, and he and Montford produced the upcoming Hugh Jackman movie, Real Steel.

I think that Murphy is right on the money when he says a movie with an environmental message is a good fit for modern audiences; climate change and renewable energy have been pretty big talking points in recent years. It's going to be interesting to see whether Murphy, Montford, and whatever creative team they assemble are able to keep the show's message of the world coming together to help preserve the environment without being hokey, or even worse, preachy.

Source: Coming Soon [http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=79951]

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
It'll be funny seeing Milka no longer being 'of the Soviet Union' and I'm willing to bet that they won't figure out a good way to make 'Heart' be a power actually worth a damn without it becoming a form of Mind Control.

Seriously though, if you're gonna pick cartoons to revive from that era, then bring back ExoSquad!!! That show had TWICE more educational value than Captian Planet ever did, from things like racism, oppression, some actual military forethought...its depth was certainly moreso worth exploring with a revivification these days. Heck it could still work, with us exploiting our own resources to the point we'll have to start mining planets of our solar system eventually and which poor sods will we have for *that* shitty job?

If that kind of strife, leading from our own consumption of natural resources and exploitation of minorities, isn't an educational message for the generations to follow, I don't know what is.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
My favorite part about captain planet was the ridiculous things they routinely had to counter. I remember one episode the villians built a pollution machine. It literally just sits there and creates pollution. Why in the hell would anyone waste millions of dollars on something like that?

Cyberdelic

Mar 20, 2009
Heart is a power that can only come from within - that and cause heart attacks. Now wouldn't that be some thing?

Colinmac93

Mar 20, 2011
Who in their right mind would actually want to play the role of Captain Planet?
Al Gore?

Cyberdelic

Mar 20, 2009
Captain Planets main job was to clear the world of pollution. Also his main weakness was . . . pollution. It's like having a baker who's allergic to yeast.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
This could be awesomely bad.

Also, I can no longer think captain planet without thinking of Ted Turner from Robot Chicken.

http://mcooki.es/47528

"Save the environment, or I'll F***ing kill you!"

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
AC10 said:
My favorite part about captain planet was the ridiculous things they routinely had to counter. I remember one episode the villians built a pollution machine. It literally just sits there and creates pollution. Why in the hell would anyone waste millions of dollars on something like that?
Because those baby seals need to learn a lesson!

OT: I hope to God they don't get the same writers for this show. The villians were in no way credible as far as I remember.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
This could be awesomely bad.

Also, I can no longer think captain planet without thinking of Ted Turner from Robot Chicken.

http://mcooki.es/47528
ahhh ninja'd yeah I want that captain planet in the movie
and I would go see it I wonder if they're gonna tackle AIDS or gang violence in the movie

PowerC

Feb 28, 2011
AC10 said:
I don't know why Captain Planet never realized the source of the earths problems and turned on us in a murderous rampage where the only element of "heart" he would use is the one he ripped from your chest.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
So, if "Captain Planet" is coming back in a live-action movie (which might suck), then does that mean they'll bring back all the characters? Even Ma-ti, who showed up on TGWTG.com frequently...

Who died in their third movie? Man, I didn't think Ma-ti would be revived like this. o.o

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
Ah yes, this old thing.

I remember noticing that those planeteers, summoned from all over the world combined their powers to produce the All-American Captain Planet.
Seriously, if you look at the old captain planet, he looked more American than Captain America. Always found that hilarious.

Colinmac93 said:
Who in their right mind would actually want to play the role of Captain Planet?
Al Gore?
Well its not like Al Gore's political career is going anywhere, so why not.

I wonder if Captain America Planet will still have a seizure every time someone farts in his face, and if Gaia will faint every time someone spills a soda on the grass.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Who are we trying to kid? There is no way you can make a Captain Planet anything without it being hokey and preachy. That was kind of the point.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Cyberdelic said:
Heart is a power that can only come from within - that and cause heart attacks. Now wouldn't that be some thing?
Ma-ti: Don't worry guys I've got this. HEART (Bad guy grabs his chest and drops dead).
Kwame: Ma-ti, what did you just do? Captain Planet could have arested him.
Ma-ti: But this way his carbon footprint is stompped out!
Wheeler: (Pulls out a gun) Hey guys, he's right. This is a much more eco-friendly way to do our job!

Everyone: GO PLANET!

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
PowerC said:
AC10 said:
I don't know why Captain Planet never realized the source of the earths problems and turned on us in a murderous rampage where the only element of "heart" he would use is the one he ripped from your chest.
It would be hilarious if he went around destroying mini-vans and promoting electric cars.

And when he finds someone defecating in the park, he gives his million-dollar smile, a huge thumbs up and says: "Remember, the POWER is YOURS!"

Quijiboh

Mar 24, 2011
AC10 said:
I would hazard a guess that that was the point they were trying to make.

D-Pad

Jul 15, 2011
When will CN realize that they're the freakin' CARTOON Network? Enough with the Live-action bullshittery.