Cartoon shows far better than their age rating suggests

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Gonna add another Cartoon Network show, however it's Over the Garden Wall.
A tale of two brothers and a talking bird exploring a collection of Grimm fantasy stories, with an amazing soundtrack to boot.

Reactions: MrCalavera

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Imma gonna add The Midnight Gospel, mainly cause I did assume it was family friendly once and put it on for background distraction while nieces were watching, only to realise, well...it had other ideas. Interesting ones, for sure. But not for uninitiated minds. Had to move that to a far later time slot. Oopsie. (It's basically philosophical rambling conversations through various psychedelic journeys, curious stuff)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Sonic Boom

I'm just putting it up here because it's far better than you'd expect from ... well ... a Sonic show. It's a fun little comedy show with likeable versions of Sonic and his friends, and most importantly, it's often actually funny. One particular highlight involves Shadow being his broody edgelord git self and all the other villains fanboying over how "cool, dark and tragic" he is. cough Sonic fandom meta-commentary cough

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sonic Boom

I'm just putting it up here because it's far better than you'd expect from ... well ... a Sonic show. It's a fun little comedy show with likeable versions of Sonic and his friends, and most importantly, it's often actually funny. One particular highlight involves Shadow being his broody edgelord git self and all the other villains fanboying over how "cool, dark and tragic" he is. cough Sonic fandom meta-commentary cough
The show it pretty decent in my eyes and is up their with the AoSTH in terms of comedy. Defintely better than Sonic X or Sonic Underground.

Last edited:

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I find your lack of Weekenders... disturbing.

It's a great slice of life comedy assemble. Four protags, (WHO CHANGE THEIR CLOTHES) who play beautifully off one another. It's really in my humor wheelhouse, so your mileage may vary.

Also? Dave the Barbarian

I don't feel like I need to say more about Dave the Barbarian.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I find your lack of Weekenders... disturbing.

It's a great slice of life comedy assemble. Four protags, (WHO CHANGE THEIR CLOTHES) who play beautifully off one another. It's really in my humor wheelhouse, so your mileage may vary.

Also? Dave the Barbarian

I don't feel like I need to say more about Dave the Barbarian.
I seen both shows back in the day. I admit that I prefer the weekenders though. Dave the barbarian I found funny, but I didn't watch it that often on repeat.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Unless you are talking about nursery cartoons, I don't see how age rating suggests intrinsic quality.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And by Sonic you mean Sonic SatAm as in this one.

Cause if so I can totatlly see this as a SatAm episode.
All the above when it comes to Sonic:

• Video Game Continuity; especially Sonic CD.
  • Sonic SatAM
  • Sonic Archie - Which is based off of SatAM.
  • I'll even throw in Sonic X with certain episodes!
Also that is not fair show me a syndicated cartoon that can show the relationship of nature and industry as good as Monoke and Nasuicaa and I will buy you any game of your choice. No lie I will do it.
Anything is fair games, syndicated or not. Other than SatAm, off the top of my head is Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, or a few episodes of Astro Boy (2003). G Gundam does a surprisingly great job too!

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Ok, Animals of Farthing Wood and Twins of Destiny have already been mentioned, but:

Notable that at the end of ep episode there was a short documentary on something featured in that episode, though apparently not in the US version.
You know I watched a bunch of those on TV but I don't think I ever finished it, maybe I should try one day.

One of the weird case of anime working better in another market than japan, with France actually making a sequel.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yep. Already mentioned it on page 2.

So you did...I went and (briefly) checked if it had been said before, but managed to miss that you'd said that some 3 years ago.

I mean, it's a very good cartoon and deserves mentioning twice.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Yep, it does. I am actually glad someone else knows and likes it as well. It didn't get much reaction 3 years ago.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
A while ago I've checked out Grendizer and Ulysses 31, two animated series that I adored as a kid.

Grendizer was embarrassing. Ulysses 31 was surprisingly great.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Owl House is pretty damn good (and helped inspire a lot of my current D&D setting), and Craig of the Creek is just pure childlike wonder and fun that makes me feel nostalgic for the days of youth