Cartoons/Anime you consider style over substance but you still enjoy

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
What shows do you consider have a really cool aesthetic but kinda lacking in substance, they're not bad or shallow but you enjoy it more for the spectacle and consider it a bit flawed.

For me its Motorcity
Lastman
Soul eater
And Moonbeam city

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
You say that as if Style alone can't carry anything. What if its a style you enjoy no matter what?

Anyway and I don't know if this counts but movies like Beowulf 2007 and A Christmas Carol 2009 (both done by ImageMoversDigital) and their photo-realistic animation style CGI, I loved this "photo realism" ever since I saw the Cinematics for Warcraft 3.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Starship Troopers: Invasion and War of the Worlds: Goliath

While neither has much of narrative substance to offer (though Goliath at least fairs a little better in that department) they're nonetheless delightful as exciting, undemanding action flicks.

As to the examples in the OP, I'd defend the earlier episodes of Soul Eater as having more quality characterization than it gets credit for, with hints of greater substance in episodes to come- but then... that just doesn't happen.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
There?s actually an anime airing this season that fits that bill for me: Juuni Taisen. Character designs are phenomenal, and it runs on rule of cool, but it has all the depth of a puddle, and once you realize how they?re telegraphing their death order, the suspense dries up too.

It?s basically a brainless, edgy version of the ?fate? series, but I still tune in every week just because I love the aesthetic.

Oct 22, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
You say that as if Style alone can't carry anything.
It's hard. Style is important, but it won't save the work if everything else about it is mediocre to sucky. That's what "style over substance" was coined for.

OT: I dunno, if i'd have to limit myself to anime/cartoons, i'd say... Redline - i very likely wouldn't enjoy it that much, if it wasn't so stylistic.
BTW: Is Motorcity anything like Redline? Because that gif make it look so.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
MrCalavera said:
Samtemdo8 said:
It's hard. Style is important, but it won't save the work if everything else about it is mediocre to sucky. That's what "style over substance" was coined for.

OT: I dunno, if i'd have to limit myself to anime/cartoons, i'd say... Redline - i very likely wouldn't enjoy it that much, if it wasn't so stylistic.
The only thing it has in common with Redline is that it has cool car tricks and scenes, if you enjoy that from Redline you are going to like Motorcity

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MrCalavera said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Sorry I just think "Style over substance" as a negative criticism is bullshit.

njrk97

May 30, 2011
PapaGreg096 said:
What shows do you consider have a really cool aesthetic but kinda lacking in substance, they're not bad or shallow but you enjoy it more for the spectacle and consider it a bit flawed.

For me its Motorcity
Lastman
Soul eater
And Moonbeam city

Take one look at my avatar... that should make it somewhat apparent(god i am so pissed that Motorcity can canned), Soul eater is their aswell but I do find it good in story aswell,not groundbreaking but sorta a Hero academia style does what it needs to do but rather well, the ending can fuck right off though.

If I can list a movie I will say Redline

and another motorcty gif

Anyone who claims that it always has to be basic since its Flash can bugger off, and im still pissed Disney canned the show.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I can only think of one anime. Sword Art Online. The anime has little substance, bad pacing, a bad protagonist, and a pure wish fulfillment power fantasy plot. Not to mention the actual game "sword art online" that everyone was trapped in was horrible too. I consider it more than just 'a bit flawed'.

Yet I love the action. It flows nicely most of the time, it's flashy, and just generally feels awesome to watch. And sometimes that's all I need.