Castevania Season 3

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if there has been a thread about this yet but I'm really enjoying the Castlevania animation on Netflix. Season 3 seems like a prelude to the events of Curse of Darkness and I'm loving it. There were lots of unexpected characterisations - and nongame characters I am enjoying. What did you all think of it?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I thought it was great overall. The ending was an apporpiate bittersweet downer. Now hopefully for season 4, our protags can take on Carmilla and her gang.

Sorry, Alucard. Those two did you wrong and you did not deserve this.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Enjoyed the season a lot but damn was that a downer finale. It does feel like Season 3 is pretty much setup for Season 4 at this point, now that pieces have begun clicking into place. Carmilla and the sisters are probably gonna be the big bads but Issac might be worse at this point. He seems to have grasped the villain ball pretty firmly at this point and he's fine with it.

I am curious if they're gonna bring the Infinite Corridor back next season and explain more about what was going on with that, particular St. Germains interest in it.

Alucards plot felt probably the least needed of the 4, I hate to say. It ends up not going much of anywhere, besides making Alucard feel more bitter and betrayed.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Dalisclock said:
Enjoyed the season a lot but damn was that a downer finale. It does feel like Season 3 is pretty much setup for Season 4 at this point, now that pieces have begun clicking into place. Carmilla and the sisters are probably gonna be the big bads but Issac might be worse at this point. He seems to have grasped the villain ball pretty firmly at this point and he's fine with it.

I am curious if they're gonna bring the Infinite Corridor back next season and explain more about what was going on with that, particular St. Germains interest in it.

Alucards plot felt probably the least needed of the 4, I hate to say. It ends up not going much of anywhere, besides making Alucard feel more bitter and betrayed.
Both the infinite corridor and St Germain were plot points in Curse of Darkness so I imagine eventually they'll get to a situation where they can play out the storyline from that game (which takes place 3 years after Castlevania 3 I believe). I don't think that will happen next season though. Maybe in season 5. Some things have to happen yet to get the characters in position.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I was off work the day after the season came out and it was raining, so I ended up binging the entire season in one day. I still really love it, but it didn't feel like it was as good as the first two seasons.

Sypha is seriously the best thing to come out of this series, she's just awesome and always gets the coolest fight scenes. It's seriously like watching a TV-MA version of Avatar.

I seriously hope this show runs long enough to eventually get up to Symphony of The Night. I need to see Alucard get some happiness after everything he's been through in this show.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Zeraki said:
I was off work the day after the season came out and it was raining, so I ended up binging the entire season in one day. I still really love it, but it didn't feel like it was as good as the first two seasons.

Sypha is seriously the best thing to come out of this series, she's just awesome and always gets the coolest fight scenes. It's seriously like watching a TV-MA version of Avatar.

I seriously hope this show runs long enough to eventually get up to Symphony of The Night. I need to see Alucard get some happiness after everything he's been through in this show.
Isn't SoTN like 3 centuries and like 5 generations down the timeline?

As cool as it would be, they'd have to skip a lot to get to that point. I do wonder if they're gonna do that if they would bother showing the 1999 that Konami feels we don't need to see.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Zeraki said:

I don't know how they would cover symphony when it's so long after the events they are covering at the moment. It seems a while until they even cover Curse of Darkness judging from the way they are building it up at the moment.

There are also the Christopher Belmont Gameboy stories, Simon's Belmonts two games on the NES, Harmony of Dissonance on the GBA and then the Rondo Of Blood game that runs up to Symphony so if you are asking them to jump centuries ahead it would make more sense to use those as jumping points. Not that I think they will do symphony though as they'd have to introduce entirely new protagonists except Alucard. Although it did cross my mind that Isaac looked a bit shaft-like....but he has an antagonist role to play in Curse of Darkness yet.

Thinking about it - there's actually quite a big story to tell in Simon's era, because he has two games and then his grandson Juste is only 5 years later in Harmony of Dissonance. They have a lot of material to work with should they want to.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I just finished Season 3 and I greatly enjoyed it

While Season 3 was a much slower burn than 1 and 2, I really enjoyed all the work they're doing now to setup Season 4. I want Season 4 to come out now!!!

I don't think there was a weak story-line in this season, something that is always a huge risk when you have basically four completely separate stories going on at once. Everyone had something interesting going on and everything seems to be preparing to have them all intertwine once again once Season 4 rolls around.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Okay so I binged the entire show this week. Am I the only one who after Dracula died just fast forwarded through all the sections that weren't Trevor and Sypha actually having a plot? I watched bits and pieces of Alucard and Hector and Issac's bits and they were boring as shit. Nothing happened, and the stuff that did happen I knew didn't mean anything because they're main character and they're not going to kill off Issac on a boat.
At least the Trevor and Sypha bits had stakes, ie save the town or not. Everything else just felt like melodrama for melodrama's sake, especially the bit with the two siblings having a threeway with Alucard.
Also couldn't have Trevor and Sypha just set up shop in his old home as a base of operations and gone out adventuring, occasionally taking Alucard with them? Clearly to all of them knew he needed companionship, and it would have made for a more interesting and entertaining story. I don't like idiot plots where the plot only happens because one or more character is an idiot for a scene or two.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Silentpony said:
Everything else just felt like melodrama for melodrama's sake, especially the bit with the two siblings having a threeway with Alucard.
Also couldn't have Trevor and Sypha just set up shop in his old home as a base of operations and gone out adventuring, occasionally taking Alucard with them? Clearly to all of them knew he needed companionship, and it would have made for a more interesting and entertaining story. I don't like idiot plots where the plot only happens because one or more character is an idiot for a scene or two.
The 3 way briefly had me wonder if I'd wandered into an episode of True Blood, because it felt like something out of that show. Maybe it's also why I felt that particular plotline felt so much like filler

I think Sypha has been thoroughly shaken, Trevor's feeling about humans being shit was reinforced and both of them just wanted to get the hell away from that place. The moment at the end summed it up nicely.

Sypha: This could not have gone more wrong. How did this happen?
Trevor: We spent a couple of months living your life: adventures and victories. Now, we're living my life.

We've seen Trevor so miserable and bitter and this is a perfect summation of why. Victory for him is the exception, not the norm and very little of his life has been fun. Now Sypha is finally beginning to realize what he's really been going through all this time.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Dalisclock said:
Silentpony said:
Everything else just felt like melodrama for melodrama's sake, especially the bit with the two siblings having a threeway with Alucard.
The 3 way briefly had me wonder if I'd wandered into an episode of True Blood, because it felt like something out of that show. Maybe it's also why I felt that particular plotline felt so much like filler

I think Sypha has been thoroughly shaken, Trevor's feeling about humans being shit was reinforced and both of them just wanted to get the hell away from that place. The moment at the end summed it up nicely.

Sypha: This could not have gone more wrong. How did this happen?
Trevor: We spent a couple of months living your life: adventures and victories. Now, we're living my life.

We've seen Trevor so miserable and bitter and this is a perfect summation of why. Victory for him is the exception, not the norm and very little of his life has been fun. Now Sypha is finally beginning to realize what he's really been going through all this time.
I hope in season 4 they follow up on Sypha and Trevor's change in perspective. Sypha went from wide-eyed and hopefully to depressed and cold because everyone died and the pedophile/child murdering Judge got away with it(also 'burn my house' is the old world equivalent of 'erase my hard drive' no one ever says it who is innocent), and Trevor was actually enjoying helping people, being a hero and winning.
I hope Tervor goes to some length to restore Sypha, and she in turns comes to realize you can be a hero and humans can suck without losing hope. They're relationship and journies are way more interesting than all the other plots.

And like you said the Alucard plot felt entirely like filler, as if they said "Okay we want a sexy threeway with anime tits and then Alucard kills them, lets work back from that until we have a plot" It felt entirely superfluous. Also Alucard starts crying and whatnot, but if the Trevor/Sypha story is contemporary to Alucard's then he knew the siblings for like 4 days, 5 at max. His reaction felt entirely rushed, like GoT season 8 where they really needed Danny to be the villain in like 3 episodes.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Silentpony said:
Am I the only one who after Dracula died just fast forwarded through all the sections that weren't Trevor and Sypha actually having a plot? I watched bits and pieces of Alucard and Hector and Issac's bits and they were boring as shit. Nothing happened, and the stuff that did happen I knew didn't mean anything because they're main character and they're not going to kill off Issac on a boat.
At least the Trevor and Sypha bits had stakes, ie save the town or not. Everything else just felt like melodrama for melodrama's sake, especially the bit with the two siblings having a threeway with Alucard.
The only bit I thought was slightly boring was the Alucard plot (up until the end of it). All the other storylines I found pretty gripping tbh. The season wasn't as action-heavy and was more plot building, which I thought worked really well. They had to set up these things. I thought the Hector and Isaac storylines were excellent. Have you played Curse Of Darkness? Do you know roughly where all this will end up? Makes it more interesting when you know that in my opinion.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Silentpony said:
And like you said the Alucard plot felt entirely like filler, as if they said "Okay we want a sexy threeway with anime tits and then Alucard kills them, lets work back from that until we have a plot" It felt entirely superfluous. Also Alucard starts crying and whatnot, but if the Trevor/Sypha story is contemporary to Alucard's then he knew the siblings for like 4 days, 5 at max. His reaction felt entirely rushed, like GoT season 8 where they really needed Danny to be the villain in like 3 episodes.
I was hoping for a bit more from that arc which is one of the reasons it disappointed me. Cho was one of the vampires generals I noticed in Season 2 and was sad that none of them got any lines(other then Camilla and Godbrand) or contributed anything besides fighting in the climax battle. I was hoping we'd learn more about her and....nope, just that she's evil and fucked with humans for fun(which is basically most vampires we've seen). Taka and Yumi had the promise of "Hey, here's a couple of vampire hunters who have traveled across the world in pursuit of Cho. Maybe we'll learn something new about how Vampires are fought in Japan or what they had to go through to track her all the way to Eastern Europe" and we got pretty much nothing from that either. Honestly, only particularly interesting thing out of that Arc was the fight between Cho and the Samurai told in flashback, which was cool but didn't end up contributing anything.

So a bit of a waste. It felt like the only reason Taka and Yumi exist at all is a nod to how this series feels like an Anime, so they created some Japanese characters and then apparently couldn't think of much to do with them.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
https://au.ign.com/articles/netflix-castlevania-season-4-confirmed-renewed

FYI, season 4's been confirmed.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Hawki said:

Awesome. I hope they write more than 1 plot this time and give Alucard a character. He's been lacking sorely these last 3 seasons.

Look forward to remembering this show exists in 2023 when season 4 drops on April 3rd.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Silentpony said:
Look forward to remembering this show exists in 2023 when season 4 drops on April 3rd.
That's awfully specific. Is that a reference to something? Because if so, I'm not getting it.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Silentpony said:
Hawki said:

Awesome. I hope they write more than 1 plot this time and give Alucard a character. He's been lacking sorely these last 3 seasons.

Eh....? Season 3 had like 4 plots, the problem was that it would have been better served with half as many. At least cut the Alucard one, because he really didn't have much to do(unlike in season 2).

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Dalisclock said:
Silentpony said:
Hawki said:

Eh....? Season 3 had like 4 plots, the problem was that it would have been better served with half as many. At least cut the Alucard one, because he really didn't have much to do(unlike in season 2).
it didn't really. Issac and Hector's plots were...well, not. They were pointless, drawnout, repetitive, boring and obvious. Alucard's was absurd and filler. Only Sypha and Trevor held any interest, mystery or intrigue and ultimately came to anything. The other 3 just went "[small]boo[/small]" and then stopped.