Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
This is supposed to be the final season, though apparently they've left it open for other series to spin-off from this one. Also, apparently the writing was done before the revelations about Warren Ellis being a creep emerged so it didn't torpedo Season 4. Apparently it may or may not have played a factor in this being the final season.

I'm fine with them ending this series after this one, because last thing I want is for this show to be run into the ground by trying to extend far past the point it's still interesting.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Looks fantastic, I can't wait.

The Castlevania series has been by far my favorite animated thing that Netflix has done.

I wish we could get a Berserk adaptation from this studio.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is supposed to be the final season, though apparently they've left it open for other series to spin-off from this one.
There supposed to be doing a Jojo Bizzare Adventure style format where each new series will have a different protagoinst, new era, and decade.

Also, apparently the writing was done before the revelations about Warren Ellis being a creep emerged it didn't torpedo Season 4
Thank Christ, he's gone and not allowed anymore. When I found out about that, I was disgusted. If they ever decide to go the Jojo route, I hope that find someone more clean.

I'm fine with them ending this series after this one, because last thing I want is for this show to be run into the ground by trying to extend far past the point it's still interesting.
I fine with that too. Though from what I heard, they're trying to get a crossover with Devil May Cry, after it gets own animated adaption. Either that or an adaption of Berserk.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There supposed to be doing a Jojo Bizzare Adventure style format where each new series will have a different protagoinst, new era, and decade.

I fine with that too. Though from what I heard, they're trying to get a crossover with Devil May Cry, after it gets own animated adaption. Either that or an adaption of Berserk.
I haven't watched Jojo but I know the idea. And considering the games were mostly different eras and protagonists that fits nicely. As long as they don't go the "KIll Dracula" route every series, which arguably is one of the most boring parts of the lore.

I'm not saying it would be good, but I can see them trying to make Castlevania and DMC/Berserk part of a shared universe or something without having to mess up too much. Especially since demons are already a big part of each series.

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I like the show well enough, but everyone is flying death flags so high I have no idea how any of them, let alone all of them, are getting out alive. Trevor is too reluctantly noble and heroic to not die, Sypha is too eager to go on adventures and sweet to not die, and Alucard is too much blonde Jesus to not die.
And this is the last season, so I doubt they'll pull a "and they lived happily ever after". Best case scenario all the guys die, and Sypha is left to return to the Speakers pregnant with Trevor's kid so his legacy lives on or some such nonsense.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I like the show well enough, but everyone is flying death flags so high I have no idea how any of them, let alone all of them, are getting out alive. Trevor is too reluctantly noble and heroic to not die, Sypha is too eager to go on adventures and sweet to not die, and Alucard is too much blonde Jesus to not die.
And this is the last season, so I doubt they'll pull a "and they lived happily ever after". Best case scenario all the guys die, and Sypha is left to return to the Speakers pregnant with Trevor's kid so his legacy lives on or some such nonsense.
Most likely a bittersweet ending. Alucard is Alucard, so he'll survive. Regardless if Trevor dies or not, the Belmont legacy will continue on just like games. The Belmonts will be fighting Dracula, his servants, and minions for a long time. At least until 1999 where he finally dies for good.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Most likely a bittersweet ending. Alucard is Alucard, so he'll survive. Regardless if Trevor dies or not, the Belmont legacy will continue on just like games. The Belmonts will be fighting Dracula, his servants, and minions for a long time. At least until 1999 where he finally dies for good.
See I don't even see a sweet part to the ending. The show, especially after last season, is basically that monsters are evil and can never die, also humans are evil and should never be trusted and...and that's it. That's been the message so far. There hasn't been a singular "win" moment in the show to show the struggle vs evil is worth it, let alone win-able. Even the "death" of Dracula is treated like a DBZ death where they'll just come back next season. There seems to be an infinite number of monsters and demons and evil people who get off to killing children, and like 3 sorta good people, 2 of whom are emotionally shocked trauma riddled broken men who are disillusioned with the idea of saving anyone.
Like its much closer in tone to Warhammer Fantasy, the pre-black powder version of the grimdark 40k world, than an heroic story of vampire hunters saving the land.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There hasn't been a singular "win" moment in the show to show the struggle vs evil is worth it, let alone win-able.
The end of season 2 was a win of sorts. Not perfect, but they got something. Season 3 on the other hand was just depressing for no reason and wasted everyone's time with those stupid twins and made things even worse for Alucard. At this point, I support the Trevor/Sypha/Alucard threesome fans tend to go on about, just so the writers can stop ruining things for him.

The show, especially after last season, is basically that monsters are evil and can never die, also humans are evil and should never be trusted and...and that's it. That's been the message so far.
I never got that message. I don't where you're getting that from. Other than that paedo judge/priest who had a fetish for killing small children in spike pit traps. I hate him even more, and don't know what the writer(s) were thinking with that one. Thankfully, Season 4 looks more hopeful and less time wasting. Getting straight to the point.

There seems to be an infinite number of monsters and demons and evil people who get off to killing children, and like 3 sorta good people, 2 of whom are emotionally shocked trauma riddled broken men who are disillusioned with the idea of saving anyone.
You know the saying: evil never rests, neither does good. Soooo....Castlevania. Just like in the games. Kill Drac, he comes back in certain amount of years before being killed again. At least until perma-death in 1999 for Big D.

Like its much closer in tone to Warhammer Fantasy, the pre-black powder version of the grimdark 40k world, than an heroic story of vampire hunters saving the land.
Your opinion. I find Warhammer even more depressing and boring than this. Redo of Healer is way more depressing than Castlevania or Warhammer. And for your sanity, I advise you don't look up Redo of Healer.

The show will most likely have a bittersweet ending, like it or not. I highly doubt I'll nr

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean I think its pretty obvious how bleak the world is. Season 3
ends with Alucard killing the twins and going insane, and the entire town Trevor and Sypha spent the entire season trying to save all dying horribly. Either through the actions of the demon worshiping cult or the pedo Judge or the regular monsters everyone is dead. They leave a destroyed, burning town in ruins, unable to save anyone, in part because of the evil actions of regular humans who purported to be on the side of good.
And the vampire Sisters are rebuilding an army and Issac has his own army of monsters. Basically nothing good happened. The heroes either were raped or failed to be heroes, and nothing bad happened to any of the villains.

As far as a threeway relationship I never got that vibe, other than they're all attractive people and that seems to be enough. Like maybe Trevor and Alucard would have gay hate sex, but I never got the impression Alucard thought much of Sypha, or her of him. Alucard just seems to be the writer's punching bag and torture victim to give the show an excuse to topless scenes while horribly bleak stuff happens to other characters.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As far as a threeway relationship I never got that vibe, other than they're all attractive people and that seems to be enough.
I get it, but I would not mind the threesome pairing. Especially if it makes them less miserable.

Alucard just seems to be the writer's punching bag and torture victim to give the show an excuse to topless scenes while horribly bleak stuff happens to other characters.
Exactly. It's what I dislike most about Season 3. S4 looks more action packed and hopeful from what I've seen, and seems to tone down on the darkness by comparison. With Warren Ellis now of out of the picture, everything will definitely be less bleak after S4, if they decide to continue with the Jojo scenario. Though me personally, I would like to see them adapt Devil May Cry next.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Hottest of hot takes: I don't think Isaac is evil. A bastard, sure, but...

I mean, he's largely ended his "kill all humans" stance based on the barest of kindness from other bastards and the testimony of damned souls he stuck in a demon's body. He could have forgone an outright battle with that crazed magician and simply plunder raw materials from the more innocent and more lightly defended countryside. While he's going hell-for-leather to fuck up Carmilla and her bunch, I'm not entirely convinced that he'll end up taking a crack at Alucard.

Then again, I *can* see him taking a swing at capital-G God. Because there are absolutely people in hell that do not deserve it and that would be the *greatest* breach of trust imaginable for someone like him.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where

I mean, he's largely ended his "kill all humans" stance based on the barest of kindness from other bastards and the testimony of damned souls he stuck in a demon's body. He could have forgone an outright battle with that crazed magician and simply plunder raw materials from the more innocent and more lightly defended countryside. While he's going hell-for-leather to fuck up Carmilla and her bunch, I'm not entirely convinced that he'll end up taking a crack at Alucard.

Then again, I *can* see him taking a swing at capital-G God. Because there are absolutely people in hell that do not deserve it and that would be the *greatest* breach of trust imaginable for someone like him.
If I'm remembering my Castlevania lore correctly, isn't Isaac the one who kills Trevor?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
HA! A hypocritical bastard. He's expects everyone to be nice to him, but almost never the same to anyone else. That is how he judges everyone's moral character. How "nice" or "mean" they were to him. He is evil. A tragic evil, yes. But he truly has not reflected on himself.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
HA! A hypocritical bastard. He's expects everyone to be nice to him, but almost never the same to anyone else. That is how he judges everyone's moral character. How "nice" or "mean" they were to him. He is evil. A tragic evil, yes. But he truly has not reflected on himself.
I honestly believe he'd settle for non-aggression instead of nice these days.after crossing the Med, his stance was purely retaliatory violence, baring the magician with the crown of thorns aesthetic. That's progress.
That said, I never said he was nice, or even one of the goof guys. Hell, I could be entirely wrong and he actualized into a full-fledged villain instead of a powerful lackey.
If I'm remembering my Castlevania lore correctly, isn't Isaac the one who kills Trevor?
No idea, I'm not big on the lore, not that the series is lore accurate. I could see that interaction going south *really* quick though, if it happens at the wrong time. That'd be tragic

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No.

Hell, I could be entirely wrong and he actualized into a full-fledged villain instead of a powerful lackey.
That is more or less what happened in season 3 and continues in to season 4. If he ever gets his hands on Carmilla, humanity comes next. The show makes this pretty clear.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Never would’ve thought let alone expected it to be this good, but if its time is up soon, then bravo all the same.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Never would’ve thought let alone expected it to be this good, but if its time is up soon, then bravo all the same.
I actually really enjoyed it.
The ending was a little too Supernatural for me. Like up until Trevor came back I thought I had nailed the ending with Sypha being pregnant and continuing the Belmont line, and then Trevor comes back after fighting Death itself to death and it was a little too Dean Winchester surviving a fist fight with Satan, God and Macho Man Randy Savage. Like Im surprised, I called it wrong and yay happiness all around, but that was a little contrived. But overall I thought the voice acting and action scenes were top.