Castlevania Team Sh*ts Themselves When Kojima Visits

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Castlevania Team Sh*ts Themselves When Kojima Visits

What do you do when legendary game designer Hideo Kojima stops by to make sure your project is going as planned? If you're the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow team, apparently you evacuate your bowels.

Dave Cox isn't a low man on the totem pole: He's the one entrusted with producing Lords of Shadow, the upcoming reboot in Konami's classic Castlevania series. But even he feels the pressure to deliver when the boss comes to town. With the Kojima Productions name attached to the project, Cox told VideoGamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/dave_cox_when_kojima_visits_we_sh_t_ourselves.html] at GamesCom, there is an understanding that the name brings with it an expectation of high quality.

So while Kojima offers advice for the development team as Cox's immediate superior, he largely leaves Madrid-based developer MercurySteam to its own devices - and they certainly feel the pressure (there's a pun in there somewhere about pressure and steam, but I digress). And when the big boss is in town to check up on how the game is going, that pressure only gets worse:

[blockquote]...we're shitting ourselves! You got to make sure that the quality of what you deliver is very very high. You're constantly saying to yourself, is that really good enough? Is that really going to be good enough? ... It's funny, because sometimes you think, no, he's not going to like that and he loves it, and then other times you think, check this out, it's amazing, and he'll go, hmm don't know. It's shit. So it's swings and roundabouts.[/blockquote]

It's an interesting idea to think about how big names in the business can be so intimidating. Obviously, having the Metal Gear creator backing you up is a blessing in its own right, but it means that you have some pretty big expectations to fill, too. Quality, schmality - will your game be at the required level of pretentiousness to be a true Kojima Productions game, Dave? That's what you should be worried about.

Lords of Shadow is scheduled to hit Xbox 360 and PS3 next year.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Kojima just wanted to make sure Dracula was a depraved bisexual who can run on water and keeps surviving fatal injury.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
That's just the team leads. The programmers are too busy playing browser games and shooting each other with Nerf guns to care.

Kojima walks in, "What are you people doing?!"

"COMPILING!"

hansari

May 31, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Obviously, having the Metal Gear creator backing you up is a blessing in its own right, but it means that you have some pretty big expectations to fill, too.
"These cutscenes...they're only 7 minutes long? Thats too short you fools!"

Immersion be damned.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
AceDiamond said:
Kojima just wanted to make sure Dracula was a depraved bisexual who can run on water and keeps surviving fatal injury.
Haha, nice.

Hey, at least you didn't use that scary picture of Kojima on that duck. A nice screen from Castlevania instead, I like it.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
hansari said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Obviously, having the Metal Gear creator backing you up is a blessing in its own right, but it means that you have some pretty big expectations to fill, too.

Immersion be damned.
You know, that's the same exact response I had when I saw this thread.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
AceDiamond said:
I see what you did there.

And is it just me, or does the protagonist of this iteration look like The Prince?

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
hansari said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Immersion be damned.
7 Minutes? It should be OVER 9000!!

I couldn't resist. It was like a window of opportunity! xD

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Why would anyone be impressed when Kojima visits?

I've (attempted to) played the MGS series.....not all that impressed. Yeah, he has a big name, but so does Uwe Boll and the only thing he is good for is getting money to fund his movies and somehow convincing decent actors to play in it(Ben Kingsley, WTF?).

And that is really all Kojima is good for: a name to garner money and hype......but do NOT let him influence the story or dialogue for the LOVE OF GOD!

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Wow, this was a disappointing artical. I thought someone had physically shit themselves when Kojima turned up, rather than metaphorically.

*Sigh*

Oh well, I'll just have to look for some else who's been humiliated...

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
hansari said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Immersion be damned.
You know, that's the same exact response I had when I saw this thread.
think most were thinking that as game play be dammed players will cramp the protagonists style so add more pre rendered cut scenes. Cause if the player playing more than 1/3rd of game themselves or doing any of cool stuff like final death-knell of a big boss outside quick time events then doing it wrong.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
Wow, this was a disappointing artical. I thought someone had physically shit themselves when Kojima turned up, rather than metaphorically.

*Sigh*

Oh well, I'll just have to look for some else who's been humiliated...
I was also hoping this.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
If Kojima's gonna be working on somebody else's franchise, I'd rather see him team up with Miyamoto for a new Zelda game. That's not to say I won't get this game, as I'm positive it'll be great (I like long cutscenes AND Castlevania), but I bet a Zelda game with Kojima's input could be the dark and unique Zelda game that Twilight Princess tried to be.

P.S. Thanks

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
What do you do when legendary game designer Hideo Kojima stops by to make sure your project is going as planned?
I've never understood what's so ledgendary about him.

And no, this isn't a flame. I just have no clue whatsoever.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Covarr said:
If Kojima's gonna be working on somebody else's franchise, I'd rather see him team up with Miyamoto for a new Zelda game. That's not to say I won't get this game, as I'm positive it'll be great (I like long cutscenes AND Castlevania), but I bet a Zelda game with Kojima's input could be the dark and unique Zelda game that Twilight Princess tried to be.

P.S. Thanks
I'd like to see Kojima take on StarCraft Ghost. The only question would be then, does a ! over a character mean that they have a quest for you, or that they've spotted you?

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
When Hideo Kojima tells you to shit your pants, you don't ask questions.

You just do it.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
I'd like to see Kojima take on StarCraft Ghost. The only question would be then, does a ! over a character mean that they have a quest for you, or that they've spotted you?
Or that they shit their pants?

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
Proteus214 said:
That's just the team leads. The programmers are too busy playing browser games and shooting each other with Nerf guns to care.

Kojima walks in, "What are you people doing?!"

"COMPILING!"
Ahhh, XKCD, how I love it.