Casual Game Developer Acquires Realm of the Mad God

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Casual Game Developer Acquires Realm of the Mad God

Indie developer Wild Shadow Studios is trading up.

Kabam, a producer of free-to-play social games targeted at hardcore audiences, has acquired Wild Shadow Studios, developers of action-MMO Realm of the Mad God. The independent studio will be joining the ranks of Kabam's 450 staff members to continue improving the game.

The game, which Kabam's Game Studios president Andrew Sheppard describes as a "massively multiplayer bullet hell" shooter, has already found success both on browser-based version [http://store.steampowered.com/app/200210/], though Kabam is interested in bringing the game to new platforms. Since its release in June 2011, it has attracted millions of players and received a nomination for Technical Excellence from the Independent Games Festival. Alex Carobus, founder of Wild Shadow Studios, is optimistic about the game's future, and looks forward to utilizing the new resources Kabam has to offer. "Look for tons of new content in the coming months," he says.

With a focus on player skill and cooperation, Realm seems to be right up Kabam's alley. In an interview with GamesBeat, Sheppard admitted that the game drew attention to itself because of how many of his own employees were playing it. "We think this is an incredible game," says Sheppard. "This is 100 percent in our wheelhouse."

Spry Fox, who designed the game alongside Wild Shadow Studios, has sold its ownership of the title to Kabam as well, and will be shifting its focus to other online games currently in the works. While the independent developer is not enthused to part ways with its project, it wishes the best of luck to Kabam and its new acquisition. Daniel Cook of Spry Fox is proud of the unorthodox game and thankful for the game's lively community. "We wish we could have continued to grow RotMG alongside you," he writes, "but we know we're leaving you in good hands."

Source: Indie Game Magazine [http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/19/kabam-acquires-indie-maker-of-realm-of-the-mad-god-web-game-exclusive/#s:realm-2]

nathanielhm

Feb 11, 2009
Well, I mean, if
Matthew94 said:
not much does these days. :/
then you can't really pin it on RotMG, can you?

I know I played it for a while, and I thought it to be great fun.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
what does bullet hell even mean?
Imagine abot 100 or more bullets flying around the screen in random direction.
Thats Rotmg in a nutchell.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
imnotparanoid said:
Evil Smurf said:
that sounds awful! Do people enjoy it?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
imnotparanoid said:
Evil Smurf said:
that sounds awful! Do people enjoy it?
yeah, Bullet Hell is often very well made and it's quite the test on skills
you see, bullets fly at you everywhere, but you're not hopeless, as the hitbox of your, say, ship, is a lot smaller and completely centered and the bullets are often very big and distinctly colored (usually they are pink or green), so you really just have to know how to maneuver while shooting
also it makes you feel like a badass when you do it right =P

as for Realm of the Mad God, it's very well designed as all classes are actually useful and can each hold their own against the hordes
and the permadeath is a very nice tension factor

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Am I the only one who read the title and thought that this was a game about Sheogorath [http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Sheogorath]?

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Eleima said:
Am I the only one who read the title and thought that this was a game about Sheogorath [http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Sheogorath]?
It did cross my mind... x: