Cataclysm Collector's Edition Includes Tiny Apocalypse Dragon

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cataclysm Collector's Edition Includes Tiny Apocalypse Dragon

It's almost time for the release of the next WoW expansion, which means that it's time to take a look at the shiny new collector's edition.

If there is one thing that PC developer Blizzard is known for, it is its (name-appropriate) glacial development speed. If there are two things that Blizzard is known for, it is its glacial development speed and having some collector's editions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102360-StarCraft-II-Collectors-Edition-The-Unboxing] of its games.

Cataclysm is scheduled to hit by the end of the year, which means that it's time to take a look at the obligatory super-shiny edition of the third WoW expansion. In addition to the game itself, the Cataclysm collector's edition will include:

[blockquote]· Art of the Cataclysm art book, featuring 176 pages of never-before-seen images from the archives of the Blizzard Entertainment cinematics department and the World of Warcraft development team, as well as progressive visuals from multiple stages of development.

· Exclusive in-game pet: he may not be a breaker of worlds just yet, but Lil' Deathwing will still proudly accompany heroes on their struggle to save Azeroth from his much, much larger counterpart.

· Behind-the-scenes DVD with over an hour of developer interviews and commentaries, as well as a special Warcraft retrospective examining the rich gaming history of the Warcraft universe.

· Soundtrack featuring 10 epic new tracks from Cataclysm, including exclusive bonus tracks.

· Special-edition mouse pad depicting Deathwing menacing the ravaged continents of Azeroth.

· World of Warcraft Trading Card Game cards, including a 60-card starter deck from the Wrathgate series, two extended-art cards, and two Collector's Edition-exclusive hero cards, marking the first appearance of goblin and worgen heroes in the TCG.
[/blockquote]

So, let's see. In-game pet (awww, who's a cute widdle apocawypse dwagon? You are, yes you are!), art book, behind-the-scenes DVD, soundtrack, TCG cards and a special new mousepad. Yeah, that's a Blizzard collector's edition, all right. It's not as cool as the original StarCraft on a USB dog tag, but then again, what is?

The collector's edition will cost you $80 should you decide that the beautifully understated box art is worth it.

If Cataclysm has your interest piqued, well, we've got an entire issue on the subject matter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/features/issue/267] this week. Boy, that's one hell of a coincidence, huh?

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Lil Death wing V Chibi Ammy from Okamiden, take your bets now.

I actually think there would be some kind of adorableness singularity and it would condense time to a single point, but it would be adorable.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
i always go for the making of DvDs...the pets nice too but now i will have to make the decision of having LiL Deathwing out or Mini Thor.....mmmmmh

Zeetchmen

Aug 17, 2009
Chaossebba said:
sadly, the only thing really interesting to me is the ingame pet and the mousepad :C
Not even, the pet is just a re-skinned Frosty pet from the WotLK CE.

Lazy Bli$$ard, very lazy

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Exactly the same as The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King CE.
Just with another theme.

Zeetchmen said:
Chaossebba said:
sadly, the only thing really interesting to me is the ingame pet and the mousepad :C

Lazy Bli$$ard, very lazy
Which in turn was re-skinned from The Burning Crusade CE pet.

Maybe it's time to add some originality, no?

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Macgyvercas said:
If I wasn't hooked on DDO, I might actually get this.
If it wasn't for the fact I've sworn off all MMOs due to addiction problems, I'd get this. Its like dangling a bottle of expensive whisky in front of an alchoholic nose. BASTARDS!!

selce

Nov 27, 2007
well i guess im going to be getting it now, that stuff sounds awesome!

meglathon

Oct 9, 2008
Since its so awesome and stuff, i will get this(just for the sake of saying that i have it really) since i find that if the 80$ is accurate then the Price is Right for me :)(we will never forget you Bob)

BioTox

Nov 19, 2009
Vaccine said:
Want.

The box looks badass as well.
I was thinking about it based on the box alone. The goodies inside will add to my collection of Warcraft books on my work desk. :) Might have to find $80. By find, I mean don't tell my mom I have $80 and buy it.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Meh sums up my feelings about Cata CE tbh...

Fan art is mostly better than what Blizzard can throw into a scrapbook (I shit you not, look some up, particularly the one with a Draenai male holding/protecting a Draenai child, you'll see what real talent is).

The Lil' Deathwing doesn't really appeal to me... I find that jaw ridiculous enough on Deathwing himself, fitting it onto something that small doesn't create anything remotely interesting/fun. Might just be me, just don't like that jaw even though I love Deathwing.

Behind the scenes... fair enough though I think there's a lot of "ActiVision says no" (imagine "Computah says no" Little Britain voice/accent here) cut out >.>

Anyway, in the end, giving more money to Blizzard/ActiVision, especially after WotLK was a pile of crap, is a big no for me. I'm with Yathzee on this one really (think he was saying about it at some point), whatever happened to these editions being put out when the game actually proves itself worthy of a CE (GotY edition)?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im not a WoW platyer but I will still admit that is pretty shinny!

BishopOfBattle

Jul 14, 2008
As always seems to be the case, good luck finding one. In the time it took me to add the pre-order to my cart and then checkout, the Collectors Edition sold out on Amazon.

I'm a sucker for any Blizzard art books, but the few numbers they print of these collectors editions is a pain. >_>

EDIT: Ah ha! They added more. :p

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I really want the soundtrack, and the mini-deathwing will be a nice addition to my plethora of pets.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Zeetchmen said:

Lazy Bli$$ard, very lazy
Yup, lazy as hell. Just a re-skinned, re-modeled, re-animated Frosty pet.