Cataclysm Collector's Edition Includes Tiny Apocalypse Dragon

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Waw, even though I don't play WoW anymore, I would totally be willing to buy that for the box alone. Really, that box looks badass!

That said, Blizzard could have at least given players a boon by also including a free month of playtime. I remember buying the Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King and being so disappointed that they didn't include a free month of playtime just like the original. =(

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Only $80?

That's pretty good, considering how their Collector's Editions are usually upwards of $100.

I wanted that mini-Thor from SCII so bad :(

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
For 80 bucks, I might actually consider buying it.

Warcraft has been too much of a great part of my childhood, despite my current WoW-hiatus and a permabanned but at least no longer hijacked account.

And the artbook and the sound track are what I especially care for. Although the latter could be gotten by other means... I'm absolutely in love with much of the music present in all the Warcraft games, from Warcraft 2 (don't remember if Warcraft 1 had any, I forget) and up to WOTLK. And the actual character design is also pretty neat... Although I'd say I'm more critical about some of the actual story telling.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Zeetchmen said:
Not even, the pet is just a re-skinned Frosty pet from the WotLK CE.

Lazy Bli$$ard, very lazy
fenrizz said:
Which in turn was re-skinned from The Burning Crusade CE pet.

Maybe it's time to add some originality, no?
Yes they're all small drake/wyrm whelps, but they're very different models and skins

AngryMongoose said:
Yup, lazy as hell. Just a re-skinned, re-modeled, re-animated Frosty pet.
Well said :)

Just for reference, here's a pic of lil' Deathwing from this Collector's Edition.

This is the best image I could find, it's from http://www.mmo-champion.com

Here's the Netherwhelp from Burning Crusade

and finally Frosty from Wrath of the Lich King

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Vrach said:
Meh sums up my feelings about Cata CE tbh...

Fan art is mostly better than what Blizzard can throw into a scrapbook (I shit you not, look some up, particularly the one with a Draenai male holding/protecting a Draenai child, you'll see what real talent is).

The Lil' Deathwing doesn't really appeal to me... I find that jaw ridiculous enough on Deathwing himself, fitting it onto something that small doesn't create anything remotely interesting/fun. Might just be me, just don't like that jaw even though I love Deathwing.

Behind the scenes... fair enough though I think there's a lot of "ActiVision says no" (imagine "Computah says no" Little Britain voice/accent here) cut out >.>

Anyway, in the end, giving more money to Blizzard/ActiVision, especially after WotLK was a pile of crap, is a big no for me. I'm with Yathzee on this one really (think he was saying about it at some point), whatever happened to these editions being put out when the game actually proves itself worthy of a CE (GotY edition)?
The books are nice coffee table pieces to be honest. Quality prints, bindings and covers.

And WoW is one of the biggest games ever, of course it gets a CE. I think Yathzee was speaking more along the lines of games like, Alan Wake, games that are new IPs and could be steaming piles of turd, which come out with big CE versions, despite not having the backing of previous games in a series.

Additionally, what makes you think Activision have a part in the development of what Blizzard put in their games?

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Alfador_VII said:
Zeetchmen said:

Lazy Bli$$ard, very lazy
fenrizz said:

Yes they're all small drake/wyrm whelps, but they're very different models and skins

AngryMongoose said:

Just for reference, here's a pic of lil' Deathwing from this Collector's Edition.

Yup thats a reskin thank you for pointing it out, some people think its a new model

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Zeetchmen said:
Chaossebba said:
sadly, the only thing really interesting to me is the ingame pet and the mousepad :C

Lazy Bli$$ard, very lazy

Yeah, so lazy. It's not like they were busy designing the biggest expansion yet to the single largest MMO out there....oh wait. Jeez, it's a freaking vanity pet for the people that are addicted enough to cough up an extra $20-$40. That's like calling the person that designs a roller coaster lazy because each seat doesn't have it's own color.

Nyan Cat

Jun 7, 2009
Know what makes this cool? The place I'm pre-ordering it from just called.

Yeah, I'm getting it! :D

ALL YOUR COOL STUFFZ ARE BELONG TO ME!

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Oh man, the pet alone will make my sister buy this. Pets and mounts - those are pretty much the reasons she plays the game, she has dozens of each. Tonight, she finally got this randomly dropping mount after playing through one dungeon 129 times.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Alfador_VII said:
Zeetchmen said:

Lazy Bli$$ard, very lazy
fenrizz said:

AngryMongoose said:

Dear god! It is almost as if Dragons tend to have similar physical features!

I must publish a report on this and make BILLIONS!

(That was more sass towards those quoted by the person I quoted than towards the person I quoted, they did a good job of presenting images and such).

Flying-Emu said:
Only $80?

That's pretty good, considering how their Collector's Editions are usually upwards of $100.

I wanted that mini-Thor from SCII so bad :(
To be fair it's basically just a reskin of all bipedal creatures in wow. I mean, 2 arms, 2 legs, has a back...it's basically the same as your one headed ogres really.

ionveau said:
Yup thats a reskin thank you for pointing it out, some people think its a new model
Fairly sure I see different sized horns (amongst other things), I thought skins were "stretched" over the model? If so what the heck did they stretch those horns over? Nothingness? Then again I'm not a modeler.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Jesus Phish said:
And WoW is one of the biggest games ever, of course it gets a CE. I think Yathzee was speaking more along the lines of games like, Alan Wake, games that are new IPs and could be steaming piles of turd, which come out with big CE versions, despite not having the backing of previous games in a series.
Except that WotLK was a piece of shit, which a good deal of WoW's current population agrees with. I'm not surprised Cata gets a CE, merely saying it doesn't deserve to be bought until it proves itself imo :)

Jesus Phish said:
Additionally, what makes you think Activision have a part in the development of what Blizzard put in their games?
Friend of a friend. Not the phrase, literally, worked there as a level designer, left shortly after they joined and started meddling (wasn't the only/main reason he left, but still saw how it was going before he did). Also, it's pretty general knowledge and pretty obvious when you look at the company's (or more specifically WoW's) development and history.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
theultimateend said:
Fairly sure I see different sized horns (amongst other things), I thought skins were "stretched" over the model? If so what the heck did they stretch those horns over? Nothingness? Then again I'm not a modeler.
They use the same animation set, which consists of a bunch of imaginary sticks that can stretch, contract and turn. The actual model is different, which is made by assigning points to locations offset from the "bones". The space between these points is called a polygon and is filled in with textures. for 95%, it's a new model.

The people who are butthurt about a dragon whelp looking similar to a dragon whelp(Netherwhelp and Lil' Deathwing are actually clones of each other in the game's backstory) are probably doing it on purpose because actishit stole an extra 85 million from a 3 million lawsuit while masquerading as blizzard.

That or hating Blizzard is just cool around these parts.

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
Vrach said:
Jesus Phish said:
Except that WotLK was a piece of shit, which a good deal of WoW's current population agrees with. I'm not surprised Cata gets a CE, merely saying it doesn't deserve to be bought until it proves itself imo :)

Jesus Phish said:
Friend of a friend. Not the phrase, literally, worked there as a level designer, left shortly after they joined and started meddling (wasn't the only/main reason he left, but still saw how it was going before he did). Also, it's pretty general knowledge and pretty obvious when you look at the company's (or more specifically WoW's) development and history.
Okay, I'll bite. 'A good deal' of people? What kind of percentage of the total population is that? 10? 20? More? I think it will likely be significantly less than the numbers I've stated there (perhaps 1-2%). And where is the "obvious" meddling? Perhaps I've missed it, would you care to qualify your statement?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Gruchul said:
Okay, I'll bite. 'A good deal' of people? What kind of percentage of the total population is that? 10? 20? More? I think it will likely be significantly less than the numbers I've stated there (perhaps 1-2%). And where is the "obvious" meddling? Perhaps I've missed it, would you care to qualify your statement?
All I can say is play the game, talk with other players and see for yourself as far as the population opinion is concerned (I don't know of the magical 80-98% population you speak of, but I'm sure my social circle within the game reaches [relatively] farther than that). As for "obvious" meddling, you can't really point at it, it's just kinda obvious when you've stuck with the game for 3+ years, you have this timeline in your head where it's easy to see certain points of game just going astray faster and faster.

Might not necessarily be all ActiVision's fault, was just a funny phrase I thought of while looking at that bulletpoint :p But I do know they are pulling the strings more than they should and in pretty bad directions.

And just to prematurely answer the potential question of "so why do so many people play it?", main reason is people make friends in the game (where WoW becomes a glorified MSN, with a potential raider clutch holding people from 'abandoning' their friends) and because there's nothing better in the MMO market for most people's MMO taste.

There's also the "Cata will fix it" argument, it's pretty much a dam for the hardcore players set to break at launch, where they'll either fix up a good number of issues or lose a large portion of their playerbase in a snap. And finally you have the new players, brought in by "scrolls of ressurection", friend invites, Recruit a Friend program, multiboxing (which is actually fake new players) and just the general appeal of an introductory MMO being designed more and more just for them.

Problem is that in a, as Extra Credits guys put it, perpetual game design like an MMO, you expect to have a near infinite amount of content. And somewhere between TBC and WotLK, WoW has lost a huge deal of that (with granted many technical improvements, but like GTA 4, while mechanics are getting better, the fun and replay value just get thrown out the window).

But please - don't view this as flame bait, I really hate heated arguments on the topic of WoW, was just grumbling away a bit :p

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Vrach said:
Jesus Phish said:
The part I dont see here though, you want a game to prove itself and then release a CE?

So you want people to buy the same game, twice? Once when its released and then another few months down the line when it "proves" itself?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Jesus Phish said:
The part I dont see here though, you want a game to prove itself and then release a CE?

So you want people to buy the same game, twice? Once when its released and then another few months down the line when it "proves" itself?
The CE is already a "waste" of money so the extra money for the "normal" version is generally not an issue to those after the CE, particularly in WoW's case where most of your payment goes on monthly stuff. The fact you buy the normal game first also gives you time to evaluate whether the CE is worth the purchase rather than impulse buying it. In short, yes.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Vrach said:
Jesus Phish said:

The CE is already a "waste" of money so the extra money for the "normal" version is generally not an issue to those after the CE, particularly in WoW's case where most of your payment goes on monthly stuff. The fact you buy the normal game first also gives you time to evaluate whether the CE is worth the purchase rather than impulse buying it. In short, yes.
I cant really agree that it's a "waste" of money. My WOTLK CE cost me ?50. At the time of it's release WOTLK on it's own was ?40. For the extra tenner I got a very nice soundtrack, a very nice artbook, a card game that me and my friends play regularly and a mouse pad that I like using. Not to mention the in game pet.

Now, for an extra tenner, I think that's a pretty good value. I don't know many people who buy a CE as impulse, as their contents are out long before they go on sale, and people can decide if they want it or not. EG, I love Fallout but I wont be getting the CE as I don't think I'll ever use the contents available in it.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
ionveau said:
Fairly sure I see different sized horns (amongst other things), I thought skins were "stretched" over the model? If so what the heck did they stretch those horns over? Nothingness? Then again I'm not a modeler.[/quote]

No your not good thinking, a fool that knows he a fool is not lost.