Catherine's Nocturnal Wall-Climbing Nightmares Revealed in New Trailer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Catherine's Nocturnal Wall-Climbing Nightmares Revealed in New Trailer

As if sheep men and infidelity weren't enough to deal with, Catherine also includes the threat of being killed by giant forks.

After months of trying to figure what is going on in Atlus' erotic thriller, Catherine, by piecing together information gleaned from screenshots and confusing Japanese-language trailers, Western gamers finally get a chance to see what the game is like to play, courtesy of a new trailer, which focuses on the action/nightmare part of the game.

The video opens with Vincent drinking alone in his underpants, interspersed with snippets from a conversation he'd had with his girlfriend, Katherine - who's a different person to the Catherine of the title. Once he's had enough to drink, he falls asleep, and immediately enters a nightmare world. The conversation is weighing heavily on his mind, and provides the fuel for his terrifying dreams.

Almost immediately, Vincent is smooshed by a giant fork - suggesting that the conversation with Katherine might have had something to do with food - and it cuts to a scene in the real world where Vincent is dead, seemingly from raw terror. We've seen similar shots in other trailers, and it looks like the unexplained deaths that the characters talk about are the result of an epidemic of especially horrible nightmares.

As described in a recent Famitsu [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106031-Erotic-Thriller-Catherine-Gameplay-Detailed-Remains-Bizarre] article, Vincent's goal during the action portions of the game is to reach the top of a tower of blocks before the night's twisted monster catches up with him. We've seen what the nightmare sections looks like from screenshots, but they didn't really show off how fast-paced and frantic this portion of the game was. It's not as simple as just moving the blocks around to make a path either. Aside from the trap blocks and additional creatures on the tower, there are other creatures that look like they could make life quite difficult for Vincent.

There are a few things about the gameplay that the trailer leaves unexplained - Vincent has an ability to change one type of blocks into another, but how or why this happens isn't clear - but on the whole, it's the clearest picture of what it will be like to actually play Catherine that we've seen to-date. Of course, it's still incredibly bizarre, but by this point, that's not really a surprise.

Catherine comes out in Japan for Xbox 360 and PS3 on February 17th.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/watch-a-catherine-gameplay-video-for-real-190838.phtml]

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
D: I will be so upset if this isn't released outside of Japan! I'm so interested in this game...

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I AM CONFUSE AND INTRIGUE.

Seriously, that game looks weird.
I love it.

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
*crosses fingers* Please EU Release, Please EU realease... Way to intrested in this now for it to slip by, also hope our more Relaxed nature might warrent it having good hopes over here..

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
damn the trailer makes the game look so intense. so is it a puzzle platformer?

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i am so getting this game, though the timing based platforming looks horrible, i hope it stays just as wonderfully confusing in game.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Puzzle, platform, action, horror, anything more we can add?

EU release better be there...then again would be perfect if it said in the last trailer before release said: "Japan" Just to add salt to the wound for the other games that never had EU release, like the Earthbound games and the Dragon Quest Games =/

Now release the Earthbound games like you did with dragon quest games for the DS in the EU

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Ruairi iliffe said:
*crosses fingers* Please EU Release, Please EU realease... Way to intrested in this now for it to slip by, also hope our more Relaxed nature might warrent it having good hopes over here..
This. Please be released in EU please!

It looks so damn interesting.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Denamic said:
I AM CONFUSE AND INTRIGUE.
You sir got the words out of my mouth.

I still don't know what's going on, but I certainly do want to know.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
I really don't get how everyone is loving this...the gameplay looks like utter shite.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Honestly, I'm confused by how much coverage this title is getting - is this really the most interesting (or most confusing) thing Japan is doing? A puzzle platformer with a non-nonsensical marketing campaign that no-one seems to be able or willing to translate?

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wow.
That actually looks like fun.

I like the art style and the atmosphere it looks like they are going for is cool.

Though one thing that's interesting, some of the Sheep Men are wearing clothing that Vincent's Friends(?) are wearing.

Anyway, i wish i could understand moonrunes, i really want to know what the characters are saying.

TheFPSisDead

Jan 3, 2011
That looks like the kind of mind fuck that the Persona Development Team can deliver... please be released in the US, too *crosses fingers*

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
You know, I loved Persona 4 etc. and the setting is... Intriguing to say the least... But that platforming gameplay looked... Bad. I hope it's not all we're supposed to do in there. I can play the game for the plot itself, but it would be nice to have some fun with gameplay as well...

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
WrongSprite said:
I really don't get how everyone is loving this...the gameplay looks like utter shite.
It looks different to the norm I'll grant you that. I'm also a bit worried as all the gameplay seemed to be was climbing towers made of bricks while avoiding homocidal foetuses and other various things that can kill you.
I love puzzlers, but I'm really really hoping the game is more than just that, otherwise I think I'll be giving this one a miss.
I usually love the games Atlus publishes, but I have a strange feeling about this one.
-Tabs<3-

Apr 28, 2008
WrongSprite said:
Because it looks like something we haven't seen before. Something new, and that makes it interesting.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
That looks surprisingly fun o_O If still a little confusing.

I hope this gets released outside Japan x3